Masters Running

Friday 5/6/22 Daily (Read 35 times)

Starr! Nice to have you back. It sounds like you're taking good care of yourself -- keep it up! Pedego makes some nice e-bikes in a variety of styles; our first time riding e-bikes was on a pair of rental Pedegos in Tucson a few years ago. The League of American Bicyclists just released their "Bike Friendly State" rankings and Minnesota was #5 (Michigan was #11, Virginia #7). And I was just reading about a great-sounding 100+ mile paved trail in MN that goes north out of Brainerd. Ever hear of it?

Yeah, Doug, we've biked the beginning of it by Lake Bemidji State Park, and the end of it at Crow Wing State Park and some of the middle part, but not the entire 115 miles.  I think there are over 2000 bike trails in the state and we have been on quite a few.

Tramps, thanks for the medical bill info, I thought it was a glitch in Dave’s software. Now that I am on Medicare I don’t even see the bills. I rarely have to pay anything, but our supplement BCBS plan isn’t cheap.

Tammy – how smart of you to not register until the last minute.

Dnaff – I’d guess that most dogs only get one walk a day and now you’re up to four!

Posai – How great to see you here again!  I am sorry that I didn’t know what you were going through but am so glad for the cancer-free diagnosis, yeah!

Jay – somehow I had a feeling that you’d keep that streak alive!

Deez – what a workout you had all before work.

Hang in there, Mike, I think I only had one day that was crappy after the first shot. I know that I would have bailed on the run.

Erika – Thanks for asking about Lon. He is out of his funk but he still doesn’t take responsibility for getting some things done around here (like the garage, uff da what a mess).  Part of the problem is that he is gone all day on his part time jobs. I must admit that I don’t mind having the house to myself. I am sorry about your water issues in the basement, what a mess that is. You impress me with all you do to cross train while you are injured, Leslie too!

Leslie, I hope you got your questions answered about your MRI today. Hang in there, you’ll get this figured out soon.

Thanks to you all for welcoming me back. I appreciate this group.  Just look at how quickly Doug got his favor granted!  Spring has finally arrived in SW Minnesota, yippee skippee!  It was 60° when I went for my walk/run this morning. After walking ten minutes I decided to start doing the C25K so started that app on my phone. Running a minute without stopping was just right for me.  I saw a HS classmate but didn’t stop since he was fishing, not walking. I cleaned out my shoes and took a bunch to the thrift store. Now I have the challenge of getting rid of the BOXES, I hate to throw them away.  Puck drops at 8:45 for game 3, come on Dave, you can cheer for the Wild.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey tomwhite,

Hey TomWhite too - do you know of any arthritis medicines that might reduce occasional discomfort and sometimes shoulder and knee pain, e.g., in the event somebody's shoulders were diagnosed with "massive osteoarthritis" that was keeping him awake in 2016 but the pain mysteriously went away until coming back enough in the summer of 2019 that he got a cortisone shot for arm mobility in that summer's annual triathlon that, though it didn't make him any faster, it worked well enough to not need any anymore until it recently started up again not only in shoulders but knees too enough to keep him awake at night every once-in-a-while is thinking about ordering some arthritis/joint pills from tv ads or the tasty samples they were giving out at Costco all, oddly enough, for $39.99 for a month's supply to take before his annual physical this summer, do you know any that might help? Thanks.

ps - not the purple pill you recommended some 15 years ago. . . . though they were just what the doctor ordered at the time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

an amazing likeness

tet -- have you tried Voltaren? My left hip, right elbow and right heel (and my primary care doc) recommend it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Evenin', Folks -

Mike - Both shots took me out for about 24 hrs., AND I had a freaking sore arm.

dnaff - Every time we have to take Fat Chico to the vet, we get the "you realize your cat's fat, don't you" look.

Jay - Good job on the walk.  Gutsy!, but good job. 

My doc was very upbeat about the MRI.  It shows a mild case of PF, so she thinks the cortisone will help.  I got the shot, be kind to my foot over through the rest of the weekend, and if it's not hurting, try an EZ flat walk around my neighborhood, see how it goes.  If no pain, take it EZ increasing from there.  I got back in a month for recheck.  If I still have pain, whether or not we try an other shot depends on the pain level.  If I need a 2nd shot and it doesn't work, then we'll discuss inserts.  In the meantime, after this 2-3 day layoff, I need to keep doing the foot exercises and keep up the stationary biking.

The shot hurt like a %%*^&.  Holy Freaking Moly!!!   Stuck the needle through the lower side of my heel, toward the arch. She told me to keep breathing and I was hoping I wouldn't hyperventilate until the numbing agent kicked in.  I've had zilch pain since, but I took the day off and have been staying off my foot as much as possible.  Fingers crossed that doesn't change by morning.

Had a tough talk with Karen this evening.  Tomorrow's she headed to Kate's for the duration, and her parents will be arriving Sunday.  Rodney, Kate's husband, is completely losing it, and I guess he even put a post on FB about wanting to kill himself.  He also said something along those lines to the Hospice worker - who is a required reporter, but she didn't report him.  I wish I could be there to help, but I am so glad they've making the decision to step in and "take control."  Kate needs it.

Okay - Off to bed.  It's been a day.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Thank you for the start Tramps.  I've been watching the Frontline/Big Oil link you sent a few weeks ago.  With anything important - follow the money.  Sorry to hear about the washout.

Good morning.

Steve--where do you get your trees?

Local conservation districts for native plants.

Tammy - I'd be fired up about a last minute cancelation.

Dnaff - I love conversing with Huskies.

Mariposai and the asparagus!!!!

Tom White - It is always good to see you.  I'm sorry to hear about the hard lesson in humility for Claire.

Jay! Jay! Jay!

MikeE -  Sorry about your shot reaction.  Do you have super powers?

Wildchild - Loving the Levi workouts.

Hi Milktruck!

Leslie - I hope the shot dose the trick.  The Kate update is heartbreaking.  Anyone's significant other in those circumstances.... Ugh.

I got 5.2 in.  The fella that was hired to help/replace me does not have his heart in the position and I've been spending time cleaning up after him.  He's been a good hire.  I hope he gets his mojo back.

SteveP

SteveP

KSA - Your DD’s new position seems bitter/sweet.

SteveP

Thanks, Steve.  It is- but it will be the best thing for her and her ministry.

Leslie- I hope the shot helps and I'm really glad the doc feels good about your prognosis!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Milktruck - thanks. It's one I've heard of and thought of being the one to try so will pick up after this morning's park circuits to start giving it a try from today.

KSA - sounds joyous.

Leslie - rodney's reaction sounds very normal. Maybe can you give him a call as Kate's friend with some support too. I guess he was in the family cheering section for her MM marathon econo and I did too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

erika//...........voltaren is enteric coated (and I've suspected the absorption isn't as good),,,,,,,I don't think it gives as much relief as Celebrex

also

as long as you take it with a big meal, it shouldn't bother the stomach,

and

I don't worry about drinking>>>>>>>unless it's Lighter Fluid, which you probably shouldn't do

tet//..........just watch out for masking the symptoms,

normally I would say 800mg of ibuprofen 3-times a day with food

but

if the doc agrees, try mobic for 5-days in a row with food

============

hi to Starr////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - okay; thanks. It's pretty low level with occasional soreness and sometimes brief pain episodes I could bear with but wanted to see if anything helps before this summer's physical when it will be at the top of the list I always make to talk about. Not that this is a medical forum or anything like that.

Not that this is a medical forum or anything like that.

Coulda fooled me... 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

It’s a good thing I gave up my medical license when I retired or I could be sued for malpractice for giving medical advice on thi forum.

SteveP

I don't worry about drinking>>>>>>>unless it's Lighter Fluid, which you probably shouldn't do

You hippie kids with your vegan witchcraft  and “don’t drink lighter fluid “ nonsense. 

When I was your age lighter fluid was what all the cool kids drank and we turned out just fine.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Henry - fortunately, the rest of us don't have to have similar concerns.

. . . we turned out just fine.

Steve - yeah, that's what I always thought too. Uhmm, could you tell it to my kids too?.