Masters Running

Race Reports for the weekend of July 28&29 (Read 24 times)

Mariposai

Good luck to our weekend racer!

07/29 milktruck - Peaks Island 5 Mile, Peaks Island ME

Anyone else?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

I will be running the Red River Run 10k in Cold Spring MN on Saturday morning. It is one of the older races in Minnesota, this will be the 40th year of its 10k races.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good luck to our weekend racer!

07/29 milktruck - Peaks Island 5 Mile, Peaks Island ME

Anyone else?

Hi Mariposa!

The rocket scientist (rs) will be running the Frank Maier marathon on Saturday. This is his 50th State!

I will be running the Jackson Fraction Decimarathon  (one tenth of the marathon)  2.62 miles.  I have not run more than 5 miles in 2017. I am so tempted to run the half but, I know it would set my recovery back, badly.  So there.

your friend,

RCG

mta: I have not run further than 5 miles during a run in 2017, I have been running 3-4 miles twice a week.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Hi all,

I racewalked the York Days 5K (York, ME) at 8Am this morning. This is race #4 in our 8-race Seacoast Road Race Series. It was 64° and dry. The sun was strong, but there was also good shade on the course, so it was IRC. I wore black shorts, my New England Walkers blue s/s shirt, an orange cap, and my Topo 2Ts. The guy who I was looking forward to racing against today didn't show, so I was on my own. As usual, I tried to key off runners in front of me who were just slightly faster than me, as well as those who passed me. My splits were 10:32, 10:33, 10:25, and 10:01 for a 10:28 average pace and a 32:50 finish. I won the men's RW division, and got a trophy and a pair of socks. There is a guy, Allan, who has some developmental disabilities. He shows up and most races (on his bicycle) and runs pretty well, although rarely wins anything. Another guy at today's race told me he and some buddies were going to get Allan some socks, so he'll have an 'award.' I have plenty of socks, so I donated my award socks to be given to Allan. He'll get a lot more out of them than I would, so it was an easy call to make. Women from our racewalking training group finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the women's RW division, so it was a good day for our crew.

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Wow, Jay.  That is some fast walking!  Congratulations and how great that you donated the socks to the guy with the disability who will always remember that award!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spinach

Nice walk Jay and nice outcome for the socks you won.

My race 10k race yesterday went well, I won my age group 60-69 with 43:34. A little slower than I hoped but the course had more downhills than I would want and they slowed me down bit. My knee hasn't yet totally recovered from the surgeries last fall and i find running downhills pretty difficult with my knee not stable enough.

The race was a little strange with a  5k starting 15 minutes after the 10 and the last 2 miles are the same. I thought I finished 5th or 6th but it was hard t tell for the last 2 miles with all the 5k runners that I past but at the awards they said i was the third man. One woman beat me so I  thought i was the fourth or fifth male, but they said i was the third. Not bad for a 60 year old, although I think they screwed up the results. But i will take it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

This is about over a day late and more than a dollar short but, here goes.

First, nice racewalking, Jay. And good on you for donating your prize socks. Your walking pace is outrageous.

Second, nice 10K, Spinach!  You are speedy.

Now.  Let's go back to last Saturday. Douglas Island, Juneau, Alaska. Savikko Park. Sandy Beach.

Saturday, 29 July 2017

50F

rain

per Garmin: 2.68 miles 26:01

per Official Results:  2.62 miles 25:58

First place women seniors (age 50-59)

Fourth place women open

I wore leopard print capri's. And my last marathon shirt. 2015 3 Bridges Run in Little Rock Arkansas. It is a nice long sleeved red tech. shirt with big bright lettering.

I wore my purple plaid Asics Noosa shoes.

And my neon green Shamrock Half marathon cap.

This was an uphill start out and back. So the finish was great. Splits: mile 1: 10:16; mile 2: 9:40;  last point six eight: 8:53

It was a fun run. Before the race, I met the wife of the man for whom the race is named (to honor him). She told me her husband had died 7 years ago, unexpectedly at age 42 from a heart attack. He was a big supporter of youth sports and so the "deci" races are supposed to encourage youth runners. She was disappointed that not more children were running this morning but, attributed it to the "open fishing" season the locals were allowed for 3 days. Apparently, there had been restrictions but, since they were lifted, families were out fishing while they could.

All in all, a fun time.

NOW. For the main event!

I dropped the r.s. off at the park at 0550 because he likes to get to races early. I went back to the hotel because I didn't want to wait in the cold for the decimarathon. The full marathon officially started at 0700 and the half at 0900 and the deci after the halfers. But, this race is crazy because they allow early starts for anyone. So some started as early as 0400. Why not?  It is the land of the midnight sun!

The rocket scientist started at 0700 and had a good first half. His knee never bothered him too much but, he did not want to push it. The full is an out and back and he said the turning point is cruel. The halfway point is up a nice long hill!  But the views are spectacular on the way back. (Just like Tet has described).

The r.s. turned around and started back toward the finish. The last 13.1 were a little slower and his time was not near his regular times. But he looked great at the finish and felt good, too. He said he ate 4 or 5 gels along the way and took water at the stops.

After the race, we had a nice lunch provided by the volunteers. They cooked salmon and hamburgers and hot dogs on a grill. Very tasty salmon! and some delicious muffins too.

The awards had been delayed due to a technical glitch and all the different start times. (no chips, just pull tags). But. Someone did make a nice announcement about Ralph's 50th state marathon. They thanked him for choosing Juneau Alaska to complete his 50 states quest.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mariposai

Congratulations to the R. S. On his 50th state!

Jay, how nice that you gave your gift to the other fellow.

Spinach, you are one speedy runner!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

I'm way behind...but still fun to read.

Spinach--nice job!  AG wins are impressive.

Jay--impressive paces...and a great day for Allan, I'm sure.

RCG--that sounds like a fun day. Congrats to the RS; that's a really impressive accomplishment. The logistics alone are daunting!  And leopard skin capris! Oh my!

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I'm always amazed at Jay's racewalking paces, just incredible. And how nice to donate your socks, he'll treasure those.

Nice 10k, Spinach! You are a speedy 60 year old, heck you're a speedy guy at any age! Nice job, but sounds like a confusing race.

Barb, I want to see your outfit! The leopard print leggings and purple plaid shoes! Sounds fun! And yes, it's hard to get good turnout to anything during open fishing or hunting season here.

Congrats to the RS on his 50th state! Nice that he was recognized for that accomplishment at the race. I would like to do that one, but don't get to Juneau often.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - it's okay if you just say about your amazing race-walking

that's four-or-five minutes faster per mile than some of us

can do anymore that you just went racing.  There's no way

your superb paces have anything to do with walking.

Similarly, spinach better say "flying."

do you actually eat spinach or something?

Rosie -

Thanks for the great report.

Glad you both had a great time.

the only thing better than running a home town marathon I’ve been doing off-and-on as work/travel/etc. has permitted over the years ever since 1978 is reading an RR from someone else runnin’ it, . . . especially when they like it too.  In this regard, I’m very glad that the Outer Point Hill didn’t dampen the thrill of RS becoming a 50-stater, . . . and the typical midsummer liquid sunshine didn’t either. I guess not, especially if there wasn’t too much wind along Outer Point. However, the 68 marathon finishers is sixty more than the year I got my PR marathon finish of eighth place.

I didn’t know Mike Jackson of the Jackson Fraction Deci option but, whenever the Juneau Marathon as it was known before Frank drowned coincided with the opening of hunting season, Frank’d invariably disappear from the finish line faster than today’s Marathon Maniacs rushing to the airport to catch the next jet out-of-town to their next marathon. However, probably not a good idea for you to wear leopard skin capri's u there as I don't think they have any harvesting restrictions yet.

ps - thanks too for the pictures posted earlier of the West Glacier Trail.

Of some 50 convenient trails and climbs in the area even for after work in the summertime, none provide such spectacular close-ups of the Mendenhall Glacier as WGT and the route up to Mt. McGinnis. It was off limits in those days, through, as many of the upper sections were blocked by the glacier before it started so rapidly receding.

pps - I’ve spent many a morning casting for salmon and sea-run trout at the Shrine-of-St.-Therese but it’s not usually one of the regular tourist stops. Good job.

ppps - I hope your good time and splits in the deci too might mark your more regular return to the running you love so much too. Good luck.

pppps - what’s next for RS? Antarctica

anything to do with walking. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)