Masters Running

running in Maine?? (Read 312 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A get-together would be fun. I should be around!
      ......was wondering where would be good spots to run in Maine if we get a September vacation there.... does it have a ''Hurricaine Season'' like The Gulf?? how cold will it be?? hopefully Mainerunnah and others will share some tips.
      Hey Tom, sorry I've been pretty busy this past weekend as usual so I hadn't read through the posts until this morning. Hurricanes are fairly infrequent in Maine as they usually dissipate over land before arriving here, or heading out to sea. Since hurricanes are tracked from their inception in the Caribbean or the Gulf of Mexico, we are fortunate that we always have several-days warning. Peak time frame for hurricanes striking Maine is Sept. 1 – 15, with Hurricane Bob in 1991 being the last one to make a significant impact on the state. http://www.pivot.net/~cotterly/facts.htm As far as how cold it will be...here are the averages for York: Avg temp - 61 Avg high - 70 Avg low - 52 Highest temp - 93 Lowest temp - 32 Avg precip - 3.2 Am I correct in assuming from reading your other posts that you will be vacationing in York Beach? If that is correct it just so happens that is where I work and have for the last 30 plus years. There are really some nice areas to run here as you can put in quite a few miles along the coast with a beautiful view of the ocean, Nubble Lighthouse and along some of the nice village roads. I would love to meet up for a run or two, maybe a few others in the area would like to as well, like Teresa who lives in the area and deez4boyz who vacations right up near me. York is really a beautiful place and is very family oriented. Drop me a line if you would like at rscamman@yorkpolice.org
        ..thanks mainrunnah//.........like I said, this is in the EarlyPlanningStages, getting the DrugStore covered has been the 'Main'' (ark-ark) Problem, but it sounds like a Great Place to come visit, I hope we're able to do it. will keep you posted. ,,,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,thanks to everyone for the Responses, much appreciaated, and hopefully will get to meet some NewEngland Runner if we can pull this off.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

#artbydmcbride

I heard it starts to thaw out there around June....late June. Big grin

Runners run

OUCH In reality just a bit earlier than that! Wink
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

OUCH In reality just a bit earlier than that! Wink
              Yep, mid-June! Even though I've lived here 20 years, EVERY year I expect spring to show up sooner than it does! March, April, May, June... I love winter in Maine - "spring," not so much.
              coastwalker

A-yup. We don't have much of a spring, but you can't beat the weather in September/October in northern New England! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Ayuh, I agree with Jay...you can't beat the weather in Maine in the fall, and as far as Maine winters go...well I used to love them but not so much anymore, I would much rather suffer through March, April and May than December, January and February, but that's just me. Big grin
                    sounds like I need to quit saying ''Reckon'' and start working on my ''A-yups'' and ''A-yuhs''....... also, I'll be bringing some extra ''R's'' with me, we use 'em alot down here. I reckon. er,,, I meant ayup. ...........hell, I just may wind up moving up there, I already got the Lingo Down.....

You would be welcomed with open arms...especially since Portland is home to the AHL Portland "PIRATES"! Wink
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ayuh, I agree with Jay...you can't beat the weather in Maine in the fall, and as far as Maine winters go...well I used to love them but not so much anymore, I would much rather suffer through March, April and May than December, January and February, but that's just me. Big grin
                        Really? Wow, especially now that I'm running, I find March very disappointing. I'm ready to get out on the roads a lot, and then there'll be more snow, or the wind will be unbelievable. At least April and May are better for running. That's what I tell myself when I look outside and it's still frickin' BROWN!!
                          BROWN??!!!!!.....yep, theresa knows how to sell the place......... thanks guys//.......you've be a lot of help (and good sports) hope this works out so I get to actually meet you. ayuh.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't want too many people moving here! Wink