Masters Running

03.14.13 Thursday Daily (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quickie again today, and then I'm off to today's first meeting:

5.5 racewalking miles at 4:15: 32F, clear skies, nice westerly breeze. I started easy, then worked hard in the last couple of miles. I didn't have too much pain, and felt decent afterwards, so a good start to the day.

Bye now.

Enjoy your Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Happy Pi Day!

And hurray for not much pain Jay. Nice start!

C-R! You were walking around New Bedford yesterday and on Sunday it's the place to be for USATF/NE Grand Prix runners (half-marathon). I am playing chauffeur for my teammates as we attempt to score points at every Grand Prix race this season. The men's team is in first right now (after just one race) and we are in sixth. If I can't run I can at least cheer and help!

Adding these into my core regimen: http://running.competitor.com/2013/03/injury-prevention/the-3-best-core-exercises-for-runners_26101

Hope your slice of Pi is a good one today.

Dave59

Pi Day is my favorite holiday.  In a couple years we can really go wild: 3/14/15.

4 miles for me this morning.

I followed Robin's ab routine today.  (Suck in your tummy in front of the mirror.)

King of PhotoShop

Happy 5th birthday to the one and only Lucy von Sheltie!  Seems like only yesterday we went to pick her up from the breeder.

Mariposai, we didn't take any pictures at all. Corsicana is lovely, like a city lost in time.  Prime's good friend bought this three story building, 12,000 s.f., and they are all modernizing it.  Soon it will be a lot of apartments and work space, lofts, for artists.  We had a great day.

After yesterday's exhausting 10 mile run, I set out to do 5.5 miles real slow, but just a mile into it, this friend of mine who is the fastest runner in the DFW area (he won the 50K 3 weeks ago by 17 minutes, with a 3:10), caught up to me, and ran me through the rest of my workout. It was difficult, but I was grateful to have the company of someone like that.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

I can't believe Lucy is 5 yrs old, Ribs! wow. you've been a dog loving softie for 5 whole yrs now.

Brought my new Feetures! compression sox with me today. Plan on wearing them on my 5 mile run with track kids this afternoon. I want to try them out on a shorter run and see how they feel. I'm sure the kids will think I look like a dork with long black socks on.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

The kids at the high school think I look like a dork...and I don't wear long black socks...

Maniac 505

kicked off my training schedule for the St. Paddy's day dash With Tet and Enke next Sunday.  4 miles today.

on a totally unrelated note, a little over a year ago I was listing to NPR and they were interviewing an author that had just published a book.

His book was about brewing beer from scratch (all grain), one gallon at a time with methods designed for apartment and Condo dwellers.

I bought the book and debated acquiring the equipment (I have no extra room in my condo)  Last night I bottled my first gallon and the second gallon started fermenting today.  It will be 2 to 4 weeks before the bottles are at their prime but it really tasted good going into the bottles.

C-R

I love my compression socks for HM and up distances.

CNY - I had no idea but likely I didn't use up any of the fast vibes in the town. I have been a USATF member since last year and I really like their events around here. Wish there were more.

Decided to run intervals today. Maintaining 5k pace for a ladder from 3/4 down and up. I managed to hit all of the numbers and opened with a mile @ 5k. ran out of time or I could have completed the mile ladder workout. Its hard but I really like it.

Well off for some conference calls. Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The baby is coming, the baby is coming .... well her water broke anyway and we are waiting for some contractions to start!!

I squeezed in a quick 5.6 miles before becoming a Nonna - worked on a progression run and felt great:  9:49, 9:19, 9:16, 9:06, 8:41 and  8:30 pace for the last .6 miles.    Time to shower and be on baby watch!!

Happy Thursday friends!!

CNY - look for some MVS shirts while you're in New Bedford.  We dont have as many striders going this year as we usually do, but I think there's still a good representation.  Sorry I'll miss seeing you!!

denise

There's a baby on the way!  Woo Hoo!

Tammy, I plan to give my compression socks a try after my run this weekend.

No running today.  Will take off tomorrow morning to meander down to Healdsburg where I'll stay with my brother and his wife Friday and after my run in the Marin Headlands on Saturday.  It's suppose to be beautiful (keeping fingers crossed).  Will be liberally applying the sunscreen so I don't go from Snow White to Lobster Red.  Smile

Probably won't get back in here til after the weekend, so enjoy!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Exciting news, Deez. Lou, if you're coming to Boston in April, bring some of that brew.

Did a 2.5 mile run around the local reservoir with heavy wind gusts After 1.5 mile walk this morning to a meeting.

There is a fascinating and sad story in the N,Y. Times about Tim Danielson who was the first U.S. high school miler to run a sub 4 minute mile (I'd send the link but Marj isn't here to do it for me).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/sports/after-the-mile-the-tim-danielson-story.html?hp&_r=0

-home from work...marj

Mike E

MM #5615

GOOD LUCK, LESLIE!

Hi all!!!

First run of the season outside in shorts!  0°C.  Not planned, mind you, and only 2 miles, but had brought clothes for the TM.  But it was so lovely outside my office window that I couldn't resist.  Thankfully, I'd left a jacket in my locker..... the first mile into the wind was nippy on the day-glow bare legs, but the return mile was glorious. Even the walk breaks every half  mile were fine. Got in 1 more on the dreadmill, plus 25 minutes of spin.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Best of luck to you Leslie!

Very excited about the new baby coming, Deez!

Saw this article posted in one of the running groups on FB today: Should Women's Boston Qualifying Times be Revised? It generated quite a discussion in the women's running group I'm part of there, but since I'm barely a newcomer to marathoning, I really don't have much of an educated opinion about it... yet....

Rest day today. Been cranky all day, not sure if it's because I didn't run or what. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

Marathon Maniac #957

GOOD LUCK, LESLIE!

+10

Deez - post pics when you have them!

Lucy, 5 years old....how time flies.  Our Dexter will be 6 on May 27.  I resisted getting a dog for so long, because I knew the care and cleanup would fall to me, and I felt like my plate was full, but now I can barely imagine NOT having a dog.

I came home from work today and sat on my DS' bed for a moment so he could play me a new song on his guitar (have I mentioned lately what an awesome boy he is?).  Dexter jumped up on the bed and looked at me with that hopeful look,waiting to see my reaction.  I paused, looking at him, then smiled, and he practically vibrated with happiness, wagging and wiggling with joy (have I mentioned lately what an awesome dog he is?).  It just struck me as funny that he can read facial expressions so well.

5 miles on the TM, 120 lunges, 60 weighted squats, 14 burpees

When the alarm went off at 5am this morning, DH said, "only 16 years until we can retire."  19 years for me, really.  I hate to wish time away, but gosh that 5am gets tiresome.  Funny thing, when I am retired, I'll probably get up at 5:10.  Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."