Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.20.12 (Read 347 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

What a difference a day (and a cold front) makes! It was 68F and wet and muggy yesterday, and 46F and dry as a bone today. Weather like today's makes me go a little faster to get the body heat pump going. I went 5.8 racewalking miles at 4:30 (still trying to get back to 4 o'dark form), and incorporated some long fartleks,. I had a tiring but good workout. I saw a skunk just in the nick; barely saw a trio of deer gracefully crossing the road and silently disappearing behind a home; caught a glimpse of blue sneaking over the horizon as the advance party for the sun; and am seeing more and more leaves littering the landscape as summer wanes and a new season emerges.

Portsmouth NH. It's not pronounced by the locals as it appears it should be.

The same can be said of Berlin (BERlin), NH; Peabody (P-buddy), MA, Leominster (Lo-minster), MA; and Worcester (Wooster), MA.

I've entered a half marathon at the end of October, and am trying to decide if I should enter another one a week earlier. Unlike many of you long distance stalwarts, racewalking a half takes a lot out of me. Can I recover in a week? My head says "sure." My legs say "are you nuts???"

Enjoy  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Mornin Jay.

IRC here in Eastern Iowa but I didn't get out this morning. Temps should stay cool all day and I'm planning a RAW.

The same can be said of Berlin (BERlin), NH; Peabody (P-buddy), MA, Leominster (Lo-minster), MA; and Worcester (Wooster), MA.

Nah.  That's just because you Nor-Easterners all talk weird.  Wink 

10.1 easy-paced miles this morning.  Since we're heading overseas later today I suspect my workouts will be basically non-existent while we're gone.  So I wanted to get in my longer run before we left.  Still nasty H&H here.  Probably 3 to 4 more weeks till we get a break.  All the talk about cooler weather is encouraging, but not yet for me!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

All the talk about cooler weather is encouraging, but not yet for me!

Bill

Sorry Bill, popping in to tell you how nice the weather was here this morning Cool  53°, bright blue skies and sunshine and no wind! 7.2 miles for me at a 9:31 pace. Stopped for school buses, kids on bikes, people walking dogs.... lots of activity around here! One of my routes takes me by a bakery and I ran past there today. The smell of cinnamon rolls was almost enough to make me stop there too!

Jay - you always have such beautiful descriptions of the sights and sounds of your runs. Thanks.

Hi Slo! How are you feeling this week?

Save travels and have a wonderful time in Spain Bill. Be sure to send us a post card!

Like everyone else, life is hectic and I've been reading about what y'all are up to. Off to work, then watch my buddies Will and Ben for a few hours while their parents go shopping for a bigger car that will fit 3 car seats!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Great running today Jay, Bill, Jlynne and those to follow.  For those SRD'ing today enjoy the rest.

Cool temps here this morning in PA.  The outside thermometer indicated 50F at 5AM when I got back from my run [i.e., started before/around 4:30AM].  However, some parts of my route were colder probably mid 40F's  since I saw fog from my breath a number times.  Not to mention that a few times during run, I wondered if I should have worn gloves since fingers/hands were getting cold. But then decided I must be dogging it and just ran a little faster.  Anyway it was a short run this morning only 4.2 miles. It was supposed to be an easy, but with the cool temps decided to make it a fast easy or tempo run. Wink  Overall time was 32:19 with an average pace about 7:40 min miles.  

Have a great Thursday all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Nah.  That's just because you Nor-Easterners all talk weird.  Wink 

On our recent vacation, we did run into a number of people who "spoke Maine", but they were mostly of the older generations. I think that in general our various regional accents are being flattened over the years. And by the way, how do you pronounce "Portsmouth" other than PORTS-muth?

I thought I'd share this link to a video of a talk by the guy who wrote "Born to Run." He's a very good speaker with some interesting theories. It's about 15 minutes long, but worth the time.

One point I picked up on is when he talks about how, although women are slower then men at the shorter running distances, when it comes to endurance running -- ultra distances -- they are equal to or better than men. That made me think about some of the women that I run with as well as many of you on this forum and I'd say I've noted this myself over the years. I think I know more female ultra-distance runners than male.

Speaking of distances, I'm taking today off and am planning my HM-prep LR for tomorrow. At least the weather should be cooperative.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Just to wish safe trip to Barcelona to Byll and his family. The beach in Barcelona is a great place to run. If you run south towards the port and if you are lucky, you may just run into the "nude beach".  That happened to me and I felt very weird to be the only one wearing clothing and I was only wearing shorts and sports bra.

Enkephalin, yes the PosieBoys will be here during the Autumn Leaf run and yes you can run with them. I can't wait to see ya sistahhh. Saturday after the race I am planning to make twocat's ribs for dinner.

No running today, but I visited the gym last night for another great yoga and stretching session. I also did 3 miles on the elliptical Dead

Jlynne, will Will and Ben's parents have a another baby?. Congrats.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

Just to wish safe trip to Barcelona to Byll and his family. The beach in Barcelona is a great place to run. If you run south towards the port and if you are lucky, you may just run into the "nude beach".  That happened to me and I felt very weird to be the only one wearing clothing and I was only wearing shorts and sports bra.

We walked by it and didn't see you Posie. Probably too many "nudists" to ogleSmile.

Byll, we were there at the same time as the Barcelona marathon. We didn't run it but, the day before, we ran their 5K fun run through the Olympic village-worth running if you get a chance to.

Did my 2nd 2 miler in a row this morning as I continue my rehab. Pain is diminishing but not completely gone. Definitely not running next week's HM but cheering on Marj, her DD and my DIL's brother-a great family event.

Roch, it's pronounced PORTS mith by the natives (I had my office there for 25 years).

Dave59

I'm still recovering from my stomach discomfort, but I saw this news/blog article about signs you see at a marathon and thought I'd share it.  Maybe even give Ribs an idea for a future article if he doesn't mind borrowing from others:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120920/LIVEWELL02/309209997

"Worst. Parade. Ever."

TammyinGP

When I ran Grandma's Marathon last summer, I remember seeing a sign that said "Worst Parade Ever" - I chuckled at that one. Then about 5 more miles down the road, another sign said "This Is Still The Worst Parade Ever" - that time I laughed out loud. I love reading the signs on the marathon route.

Safe and fun travels Bill!!

Ran 3 miles after work, while waiting for DS to finish up CC practice. Very hot out. mid 90's. It was a difficult 3 miles for me, or maybe it just more difficult because my previous two runs were in Newport where it was very cool out.  This afternoon he has a pre-districts. The school hosting it has a pretty hilly CC course with alot of the course being very narrow paths with no passing room. Last year our school took first at districts at this school, so we are hoping to repeat.

So, no run for me today, but will get about 4-5 miles tomorrow, then a HM on Sunday.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Jay, my family is from Leominster and we always pronounced it as if the first two syllables were "lemon".  I never heard anyone say it with a long O sound Lo-minster.

Home last night after a quick business trip. I didn't run when I was away as I thought I needed a day off, so that worked fine.  Today was 4.4 miles with 4 x 400 embedded (6:52 average pace).

Everyone in the DFW area is mad at me this week.  I covered two subjects in the Dallas News blog, one was the 20K race I ran on Saturday and the other was a political issue in the FW running club. The post got more page views than anything else I've written and I've gotten a ton of private mail over it.  Even the RRCA weighed in on it. You tell me if there was a conflict of interest:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/thorny-problems-at-tour-des-fleurs-and-ft-worth-running-club.html/

Oh, and one more thing.  What TV game show celebrated its 40th anniversary on September 4th of this year?   Spareribs

Jeopardy?

No run this morning, but I really should have.  I didn't realize it was going to be 80 later today, so blah, not going to venture out in that.

Starr, I think you should do the 12 miler the week before, but do it nice and easy.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

On pronunciation, there is a street I cross every day spelled "Heincke" and it is pronounced "hi-nick-y," which only the locals seem to know.

Breger - safe trip and post pics when you get back, if you would.

Starr - good luck!  And yes, I always do a LR the week before a race.  I figure a week is enough to recover, but if you are worried, you could keep it to 8 or 10.

5 easy-paced miles today in 46 degrees (ave pace 10:20).  Legs feel surprisingly good, which I attribute to the fact that the Equinox is mostly on very soft trails.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Starr, I think you should do the 12 miler the week before, but do it nice and easy.

Thanks, Enke.   It takes me over 2 hours to just run 10, do you think that would be enough?  It's supposed to be sunny and a high of 67° in YNP on Sunday.  We're staying at Mammoth Hot Springs for 4 nights then will be at Grant Village.  It will be a fun time to taper for the race with a few hikes.

I just realized I posted this morning on the Wed. thread.... "I’ve been wondering, well worrying actually, about how long it will take me to get adjusted to the higher altitude.  I live at 1591’ and the race starts at 5876’ then goes up to 6094’ in 2 miles or so.  After that it’s downhill to 4993’.  We’ll be in Yellowstone from Saturday through Friday so hopefully that will give me time to adjust.  I sure wish I wasn’t such a Nervous Nellie!

I did another practice morning run, brrrr!!!  My thermometer said 43° but I wore short sleeves and capris for my slow hour run around the lake.  I wouldn’t be able to stand around for any length of time like that, but for a run it was fine.  I have my throwaway sweatshirt packed, but I’m sure MrStarr will pick it up for me if he comes to the start of the race.  We’re leaving tomorrow and don’t think we’ll have internet access (no smart phones).  That will be a long time!  I hope I can relax and enjoy our trip.

A quick question for you experienced racers.  Should I do a long run on Sunday, the week before my half marathon?  I ran 12 the last 2 Sundays and those went OK (The plan had a 15K race and 11 M). Higdon has 12 again one week out.  I’m thinking that’s not a good idea unless I’m trying to outrun a bear in YNP.

Thanks, gotta go get my work done.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

King of PhotoShop

Enke, great minds think alike!  We guessed "Jeopardy" also.  We were wrong.  Spareribs