Masters Running

OT: Facebook Question (Read 427 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I like the News Feed. It's fun to pop by and see what other people are doing today. I also like the pictures people post. But mostly, like Divechief, I just do drive-bys. No time for more than one forum, and RA is first in line...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm sort of on the fence about Facebook too. I think it is fun to read what other people are up to and I've reconnected with a couple of high school friends - but for my running buddies this site is #1 in my book. I did find a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon group though, that I think may help with my puppy networking - so that's cool. I just don't like too much personal stuff out there for anyone and everyone to see. I'm sort of old fashioned that way.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Just noticed this. I can't take time to read all the responses so this may be a duplicate. Facebook is nominally closed, i.e., you can choose who can read your stuff. "nominally" is risky though. RunningAhead can be read by anyone. In either case, I would not put stuff anywhere on the internet you think is private. Your kids can read this, your boss, your parents, your students, the government, etc.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful, and I feel much less like an old frump! grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
            Anyway, I use it for fun, but I don't spend that long on it.
            Ditto. I use it to stay in touch with former colleagues/networking but I don't use any apps and I refuse any apps sent to me. I'm rarely on there - only to stay in touch with those I want to stay in touch with. It can get annoying in a hurry if you let it.

xor

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful, and I feel much less like an old frump! grins, A
              Do not let facebookishness or lack thereof keep you from your inner frump.

Top 'O the World!

I have not joined as yet....somehow I don't trust it as much as in here Wink however, I do understand that most internet is somewhat public....frump away!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Growing up we moved around a lot and now that I'm in the military, I still move around a lot. It's really hard keeping up with friends when you move around like that. I just joined FB a couple of weeks ago and I've already caught up with close to 100 friends and family! Some of the family (cousins) on FB I haven't seen in 20 yrs! I also caught up with friends from junior high, HS, college, at least one person from every assignment that I've had in the military and then some of you that I used to converse with daily on CR and have even met IRL! I love FB, but yes, it can be addicting if you let it.
                  Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Tag

Well, I suppose I am what one would call a heavy Facebook user. This is coming from someone who didn't even have an account this time last year. I originally got on FB because some of the local runners in my area were on there, so we all became friends. It became an easy way to keep up with each others running and coordinate training runs. I am not worried about privacy for two reasons. One, I don't put anything on there that I'm particularly concerned about getting broadcast to the world and two, I have the privacy settings set so that only my friends can see what I've got on there anyway. If you click my signature at the bottom and you don't have a FB account you will likely just get a FB page asking you to login or create an account. If you do have a FB account you will see that it's my page but it will say you need to friend request me to get access to the profile, etc. Those of you on this forum who are also my FB friends will see status, photos, etc. That's an example of the security levels you can set. Feel free to friend request me. Just tell me your RA username so I'll know who you are. I don't accept friend request from total strangers. I use the little status updates to keep folks informed primarily about my running, but I do throw other things of interest (at least to some of my friends) up every now and then. For example, I put that that a traffic light was malfunctioning on the way to work, because I have some other friends who go through that same intersection. For private messages, I use the message system in FB. It's just like using email. For public posts, I use the status or notes feature. Notes are a sort of blog. It's also a great way to share photos with friends or just the people you designate can see them. One thing I like is I have access to folks from all walks of life in one convenient location. I have running friends, caving friends, co-workers, a few relatives, neighbors, and old school mates all in one place. I don't have to log into 5 different forums or email accounts to keep up with them. I have the Facebook application loaded on my personal Blackberry in addition to my home computer. The BB goes with me everywhere. I've got it set so it anyone sends me a private message or writes on my wall or replies to a thread I'm commented on, I get an instant notification. So I can stay in touch with people almost instantaneously all day long. Of course, sometimes I'm busy so I don't reply to them for hours and sometimes I just turn the BB notifications off (like in meetings or dinner or sleeping or with the family) when I want to concentrate or have some down time. You can also get the application for the IPhone. I have made a number of new friends right here in Huntsville after first getting to know them through FB. I already knew them as runners in our club, but didn't get to know them well enough to run with them or hang out until we started chatting on FB. It really is a social network. I ignore most of the applications like superpoke, etc. I don't get into the snowball fights, etc. Just not enough time to deal with it. I have a few applications installed on FB but I ignore or delete 3 for every one I keep. My favorite is Voomaxer which allows me to log my runs and see other friends runs who also use the application. As for time consumption, I am really on FB an avg of maybe 30 minutes per day scattered in 5 minute increments throughout the day. It doesn't take long to read or keep up with status, wall posts, and messages. I wish everyone on here and Kickrunners was my FB friend. We could then form a Boomers or Masters group. Smile

"older but not dead yet"

"I wish everyone on here and Kickrunners was my FB friend. We could then form a Boomers or Masters group. " Great idea! Alex
                      Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.