Masters Running

Off Topic Mom Brag Thread. Join me please (Read 181 times)

My DD18 will be graduating this year with honors and three gold cords. This is huge for us. She barely passed a few classes last year and the year before. Failed world history on purpose in 10th grade. Skipped a few classes and basically had the whole family ready to strangle her a few years ago. But she managed to get her act together this year and qualify for music, German and GPA honors. Goes to show no matter how much a kid is screwing up they can always get it together. Join me in bragging. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

huskydon

Congratulations! Nothing like a strong finish in a race or in school.
      wildchild

Carolyn

Laurie, congrats to you and your DD! I'm not familiar with the term gold cord, but I assume it's an honors award. What's your DD planning to do next year? We're very fortunate that our 16 year old DD has always worked hard in school and gotten good grades. She's a junior and is 1st in her class. OK, she's only 1st of 17, but just like with races, 1st is still 1st, even if you cherry-picked your race! Smile (see, Don and I both tied our comments back to running!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, that's so wonderful!! It's good to hear about kids turning themselves around like that. Our 8th grade son causes me some worry! He runs HOT or COLD - no in-between! I swear, the kid's grades fluctuate between A and D, every time I check the computer! Your daughter gives me hope. What are her plans after high school? Carolyn, that's great your daughter's first! Will she have to give a speech at graduation if she stays in that spot? DS16, the runner I'm always bragging about, is doing well now, too. He got kind of a rough start in high school, with an unorganized, sadistic science teacher who seemed to love to give kids bad grades! DS got an 80 in that class, I think, and struggled in other classes as well. It took him until sometime his sophomore year to make the honor roll at all, but this year he's been on the high honor roll every quarter. His HS ranks by 10th percentiles (however you say it), so I'm hoping he's made it into the top 10%. He recently got into NHS and finished his Eagle Scout rank (finally). He's not too happy with how the SAT went on Saturday, but he can take that again. He's still trying to decide if he wants to shoot for running for Texas, or stay at a lower-key D3 school. I can tell he's feeling a little overwhelmed right now. We keep telling him we'll support him whatever he decides. I'm glad I'm not 16!
            Laurie, That's awesome! Congrats to your DD and to you for supporting her through the rough times. Most of you guys know that I teach middle school (music, 5-8), aka the wonder years, as in, sometimes I wonder how I got myself into this insanity. They change so much - the way Teresa describes her son - from terrific to a mess on what sometimes seems like an hourly basis. It's so encouraging to hear specific examples that remind me that most of them do manage to turn it around at some point. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

#artbydmcbride

Yay! Smile

Runners run

Thank you all. I guess if we tie in to running somehow its on topic. Well my DD is a runner and a talented musician. She just never really cared about academics. Carolyn, Congrats to your DD too. Working hard always pays off. Have fun with her senior year next year and save your $. It seems they need money for something everytime you turn around. Theresa, my 13 year old is hot and cold too. She starts getting tested for aspergers syndrome next month. He will come around. Plus remember its tough to be the youngest after two successful older siblings. Let us know how the older one goes with his decision. Eliz, God bless you. It takes a strong person to teach kids at that age. Oh the gold cord is what she gets to wear on graduation day. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Congratulations Laurie. It sounds like you have good reason to brag. (Sorry, no running tie-in)