Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 7.29.13 (Read 49 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We had a great week in Castine, ME (despite the fact that I had my laptop and had to fit some work in). We spent a day on a sailboat, saw the gorgeous Rockefeller gardens in Acadia, grilled a lot (steak, chicken, corn, roasted veggies, salmon...), drank a lot (whoops), talked a lot. I walked a lot of hills, and started and finished a book. We got home late on Saturday, I raced a 5k yesterday (drizzly, misty, humid, but we all got wet together and it was OK). I only have six off-site meetings this week, and way too many emails I have to read and reply to. But I feel relaxed, and am ready for whatever comes along. (We'll see how I feel about that by tomorrow Wink.) I won't even try to catch up on last week's posts, so I hope everyone is doing well, running well, and playing nicely with everyone else here and in your other lives.

4.7 easy racewalking miles at 4:30am (a little late because I'm readjusting to normal time). It was misty and foggy and 64F. Because it was relatively cool, the dampness felt good. It was also good to hear the local waves crashing again, and to be walking the curves and turns of my own neighborhood again.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

3 miles for me this morning.  I'm back at work getting caught up from a week off too.

Tramps

Spent the weekend ripping up old wire fencing, interwoven with heavy vines the thickness of tree branches that had grown up and taken it over.  Four big pick-up truck loads to the landfill.  Hot, tough, nasty work.  I tried to think of it as poor man’s Cross Fit. Roll eyes I was drenched and tired both days so I wasn’t surprised this morning when my 11-miler turned out to be pretty sluggish.  I knew early on that I needed to keep it dialed back to finish, so I did.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Welcome back Jay.

Tramps, that sounds like a most unpleasant chore.

9 easy yesterday followed by 5 slow this morning.

The Saint and Riblet come home tonight, having had a nice trip to NY to visit her sister.

Made a new veggie burger recipe yesterday and put it in the fridge to set up. That's dinner tonight.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Jay and Dave.   I knew where Dave was, but I must have missed Jay's plans. (or forgotten, as unlikely as that might be) Roll eyes

sounds like you each had enjoyable trips for various reasons.

Off to Omaha for a one day meeting that basically involves a day of travel on each side.  It's the old "you can't get there from here" travel plan.  Joy, Joy.

And I notice that Tramps had a fun filled weekend, too.  11 miles after that is very impressive.  Can't imagine getting out of bed.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

good morning all!

heading out of town today for a few days of camping. our plans at a local lake didn't work out because of all  the fires going on in so. Oregon. the lake is the command post center for one fire south of us and the air quality here is at extreme. so, we are going down to the redwoods, near the coast for camping instead. it'll be colder (only low 60's) but at least we can be outside. We haven't been able to go outside in 3 days here due to the choking smoke that has filled our air. It almost looks like a constant thick fog that never lifts. yuck.

I'll be back Wed, so hopefully our air will improve some by then!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

We spent a day on a sailboat, saw the gorgeous Rockefeller gardens in Acadia, grilled a lot (steak, chicken, corn, roasted veggies, salmon...), drank a lot (whoops), talked a lot. I walked a lot of hills, and started and finished a book.

Sounds like a wonderful week!

Ribs - would you post the recipe to your veggie burger?

Tramps - yuck.  But think how clear your pores are now...Wink

No run for me today, just 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

Having paid almost no attention to organized training over the summer, I dragged out a couple of training plans to see if I can jump in now for my September Presque Isle marathon.  What I found out is that I am woefully behind.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Having paid almost no attention to organized training over the summer, I dragged out a couple of training plans to see if I can jump in now for my September Presque Isle marathon.  What I found out is that I am woefully behind.....

I'm sure your not as woefully behind as I am !

Any way...Hey Y'all !

Think of you guys often, I lurk every now and then trying to stay caught up. Just finished RAGBRAI and trying to slip back into normalacy.

Tramps- Love the fitness routine, way cheaper than any gym.

Another day, another run. Still keeping my runs relatively short and trying to stay injury free. An easy 4 that was speedier than usual.

SteveP

steve, where were you?

Tom

Tag and I unloaded the crew at Scottville's Riverside park. It's a tradition with DW and her sisters. I'm very glad that our kids are making an effort to carry it forward for another generation.

I bet TriBee was admiring the bulging muscles acquired after your fencecapades, Tramps. I usually charge DW $5.00 to feel my muscles after manual labor.

Stay safe and have fun Tammy.

I've got a half mary coming up (sans Tag) in a few weeks and I'm taking the Tet approach: simply go out and have fun. The week before last, it was 95°F every days and I was on for 5 days. I don't want to know what it was in the back of the delivery trucks. Last week I worked three days and wound up with 38 hours. This week looks busy so far. If Tag and I get runs in, that's greta. If not, I'll try not to hiss and moan.

"normalacy" SNORK.

While DW and most of the kids are out of town, Tag and I have been going over to DD#1's place and borrowing her dishes. When we return them, Tag's done a better than fair job of getting them clean. Life is good. So far, the menu is consisting of chili dogs, chips, brats and ice cream. Life is really good.

SteveP

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey everyone. A little birdie told me that I was being missed over here, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello. I'm doing fine, running my heart out lately as I'm training for Wineglass in early October. Nothing much else to report, other than I do miss all of you here!

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi OM!  Hi SloHand!

Welcome back to Jay and Dave!

5.4 miles this afternoon - first I took the dogs out for 1.4 miles, then I went back out for another lap.  They're getting too old to run 5 anymore, especially in the summer when it's warm.   Both yesterday and today, after I'd dropped the dogs at home and was out running solo, I had neighbors who were out walking stop me and ask where the dogs were.   I guess me running with my dogs has become a common sight in my 'hood!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Yeah it is nice to see everybody checking in.  I wish Mary would post regularly...

As I talk to you people in real life it seems we all talk about how sometimes we don't feel like we can come on here and post something without commenting on everybody else's posts.  I admit, I have not posted for that very reason.  So--I just want you all to know--if I post something, you don't ever have to say anything about it...you won't hurt me feelings one little bit...well, maybe a teenie bit...but I'll get over it...really.

Well--I'm glad I got that off my chest.  I ran 6.4 miles, tonight, in 52:05.  My real training plan for Rocket City doesn't start for another 2 weeks so I'm practicing running slower that I usually do.  I guess it's important...helps your body learn to burn fat or something.  It wasn't all that hard, really, since I was sore from cutting up my hot tub with a sawzall yesterday....dang thing.  I have to cut it up in small pieces and throw it in the garbage can a little bit at a time.  Yeah--my hot tub--sorry spa--that DW HAD to have a few years ago--with all the fancy jets and special seating areas--for 8 people--it's getting chopped up and thrown away.  What the heck brought that up?  Sorry...

Okay--I'd better go before you guys bring up some other touchy subject that will send me spinning, again...see ya!

Mariposai

MikeE, I am glad you brought up the subject of feeling guilty because you don't have the time to comment on people because I was not going to post here since I had a really, really long day and if I want to go running in the morning  I better put my wings to sleep.

But here I am. I did not run  today, I did only 20' of core and about half an hour walking. I had a delightful evening with a work partner out of town. I cooked for her paella for dinner. We met at my house instead of at the office and it was fun!

Off to bed now and btw, it is sure fun to see OrangeMat here!

Ohh... and we had  the first four green beans from my garden ( hi tammy and Erika and heme!)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

it is sure fun to see OrangeMat here!

Hiyah!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."