Masters Running

Hooray for the Saturday Daily! 12.28.13 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Are you happy or sad or emotionally uninvolved with the pending year-end?

Thanks for the input on Roku, Tramps. Very helpful. Nice 5er under the stars.

Payback for Christmas feasting is always worth it, Jlynne. Glad you had a good time with the g-kids over Christmas.

Twocat, did you call me 'coatwalker' yesterday because you had cold weather on your mind?  Have fun with the touchless faucet - they always seem like magic to me.

Which book did you settle in with yesterday, Freebird?

Maybe you did need the extra sleep yesterday, Leslie. I hope you and Shorty are successful in beating back your colds.

Have fun with all your visits, Mariposai!

I'm sorry Annabelle went down in the mud yesterday, Dave, but it seems you all did fine in spite of that.

It's always fun to plan a 'dream' vacation, Holly! I'm glad you and DH took advantage of your gift cards and had fun at the Indian restaurant.

Feel better, TW! And you can just leave it at 'lurker on.'

Evanflein - 4 days (Including today) to go 25 miles? You've got it!

I went about 7 easy racewalking miles at 4 o'dark this morning. It was a refreshing 24F under lazily-drifting wisps of clouds with enough holes for the moon sliver to still shine through every once in a while. There was still a bit of slush/ice on the roads from Thursday night's snow squall, and I didn't want to push my tender calf, so I just relaxed and enjoyed the lights, the sky, and the quiet. Our 2nd round of holiday company (one of DW's sisters and her family) arrive later today, so there will be house neatening and food shopping going on this morning.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Glad the calf held up, Jay.  You were only a couple of degrees cooler than us this morning.

EZ 13 on a beautiful winter morning.  The rising sun was silhouetting everything this morning: horses in the field at the top of the ridge, the piers in the Potomac,  trees up against the brilliant orange sky.  The sky turned bright blue by the time I was done.  Enjoying it today because rain's coming tomorrow.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!

Jay, I'd have to say I'm just "emotionally uninvolved" with the pending year end.

It's just another year gone by,

And I'm often asked if I know why...

Why the years just come and go,

And my answer is...I do not know.

Wow, where did that come from?  Perhaps I am a bit emotionally involved...yep...I used the word "perhaps"...I never use that word unless I'm emotionally involved.

I took advantage of some pretty warm winter weather the last couple of days and got outside to run.  I have kind of started training for my next marathon in February and I'm trying to be a little careful about getting into it too hard so soon after my last one.  I had already decided to back off the intensity of my last training plan and just go with the 3 hour goal time.  But Thursday, I was supposed to go 8 miles of tempo at 6:52 and I only went 6.  I'll slowly ramp back up to where I'm supposed to be...although, I have a couple races next month I want to do...this training cycle is doomed.

It's  supposed to get up to 38, today...and the high tomorrow is -2.  I'm supposed to do a long run tomorrow...hmmm...yeah, I might as well throw this training plan out the window.

Okay--I'd better get going.  I always set aside Saturday as my cleaning day.  Hoo-boy, I love to clean!  Yep--I always set aside a whole day for cleaning...that's just the way I am...not unlike most guys, I'm sure...

King of PhotoShop

I'm very emotionally involved in the new year as I plan to do a lot of things differently and I like to make a plan for them, not just running, but my health, my work and so on. Good question.

And yes Jay, I did see that TC called you "coatwalker."  The nerve of him.

16.5 with my RP out at the Lake. Beautiful day here. Ran over 50 miles this week, big for me.

Today I am married 28 years to the Saint. I think we will go to see "American Hustle" tonight then go out to dinner.   Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice week to end the year, Ribs.  Hope you're not considering the movie to have any correlation to your time of wedded bliss.

Also nice runs for jay and Tramps.  And well painted pictures of the runs to boot.

Mike--enjoy the cleaning.  sounds like you might need a little more flexibility in training plans--40 degree swings sort of demand it.

yet another two lap 10K for me this morning.  Warmer yet this morning--35 when I got back.  Felt like I was taking it easy the whole way.  A hair over 10 miles to go--good thing I'm not obsessing about this mileage total thing.  But it does look promising.

The long(er) run that I wanted to do tomorrow may be a little challenging however.  DD heads back to LA in the very early morning--6am flight means departing for the airport shortly after 4am.  Not being at all attuned to Jay time, napping MAY be higher on the priority list than running.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Happy 28th anniversary to the Saint and Mr. Ribs. Wow - that is one patient woman!

Nice running this morning Kevin.

Jay - how DO you keep track of that social calendar of yours? It seems like you and your DW do a lot of entertaining. Cool. Except I don't think I'd like all of the cleaning and prep work involved.

I saw the forecast for Minnesota and Wisconsin, Mike. Yikes! Sounds like there's a lot of treadmill running in our future.

Ventured out myself this morning. It was beautiful - sunny and 21°. Unfortunately my lungs gave out around the 4.2 mile mark and did a lot of walking on the return route. I've come down with the crud that my kids/grandkids have been sharing with each other for the last two weeks. It was just a matter of time. Head will not explode.....head will not explode.....

C-R

Hey guys. Quiet in here today. I guess everyone is out enjoying the nice weather. 55 here today. So after a little run 13 miler it was taking down all the Christmas stuff and making cookies with the kids.

I don't think I've ever met someone that could fill a calendar as well as you Jay.

Nice run Ribs. Glad things are holding together for your running and congrats on 28.

Mike E - you crack me up.

Training for anything Tramps?

Don't nap and run Stumpy

Sorry about the lung thing Jlynne. Hope it gets better but treadmills are ok too.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I have some changes I want to make, so the new year mark is a good time to set goals.

{{{Jlynne's exploding head}}}

{{{Mike's training plan}}}

Happy Anniversary to Ribs and The Saint!

Stumpy - I'm with you on the nap....

C-R - I think I will be taking down the tree tonight as well.  It has had a nice run, but it's time to get the house back...

8 miles for me this morning in a windy 36 degrees - cold in one direction and warm the other.

Today we went to visit my nephew and his 4 little boys, age 7, 5 and 2-year-old twins.  Boy are those boys busy!  I was sort of exhausted just watching them. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E that weather forecast sounds brutal!  You might want to inquire with evanflein about how to handle what to her is "warm" weather.  But if she tells you it is too warm to go out in anything but shorts just sort of ignore that. 

Spareribs congratulations to you and your wife on your 28th anniversary!  I hope you have something nice planned in the coming year, beyond tonight's movie and dinner of course.

I got up and barely made it out to meet the local Joggers Club before the official start time.  Once I showed up though we all waited around another 15 minutes or so to see if other stragglers would arrive.  A couple did.  I ended up doing 8 with three others that wanted to get in about the same distance.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

16 miles in 1:55:40...it was really nice out.  Yep...the treadmill is going to get a workout for the next week or so.  I predict that Erika will have "nice" weather this upcoming week.  It seems that, whenever it's nice here, it's bad there and vice versa.

ribs, happy anniversary to you and the Saint.

Nice long runs for Holly, Tramps, ribs, C-R, and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for evan.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a light wind.  The roads still had some ice so I wore my Yaks.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:41 pace.  Unfortunately, it was one of the hardest runs I've had in a long time.  I actually took a couple walk breaks.  I survived so I guess it wasn't too bad.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dropping in for a quick greeting.

Good question CoatWalker Wink Like Holly I too have changes to make and January 1st seems a good time to start. There are also plans that continue to grow - tomorrow is my second long run for Ave of the Giants.

Happy Trails to All!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

evanflein

16 miles in 1:55:40...it was really nice out.  Yep...the treadmill is going to get a workout for the next week or so.  I predict that Erika will have "nice" weather this upcoming week.  It seems that, whenever it's nice here, it's bad there and vice versa.

Mike, funny you mention that because it's something we noticed a long time ago. When we are having really nice mild weather, it seems a lot of the midwest/east is getting hammered. When we're sunk in really cold temps, those same areas are enjoying nice conditions. Gotta love the jet stream, right? However, while not "as" nice as where you are, today was a real treat after having been through days of pretty cold temperatures. It's actually above zero in town, and 6 above here at almost 6 p.m!

Holly, isn't it amazing how being around little kids can just wear you out when you aren't used to them? It's true that there's a good reason why people have babies when they're younger. I sure couldn't keep up with a 2 year old now, much less two of them!

Tselbs, sometimes the tough runs are the ones you need to do. Nice job on getting it done.

We didn't put up a tree this year so nothing to take down. I missed having the tree, but not the work associated with it!

I ran outside today! Woot! 5.5 miles of hills that I ran too fast and had to take a couple of rest breaks, so almost like hill repeats. I didn't have a light on me though and it was twilight when I left and got dark enough that I couldn't make out the good footing vs the icy spots/ruts by the time I was almost done. Headed up the big hill behind our house for the last mile and had to stop a couple of times for traffic when I wasn't sure the drivers saw me. Gotta dig out the headlamp or the reflective armbands, or both!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

had to stop a couple of times for traffic when I wasn't sure the drivers saw me. Gotta dig out the headlamp or the reflective armbands, or both!

It’s just another run at night
                              sometimes I go without a light
                              whenever I’m asked if I can see,
                              oh au contrare, do they see me?

You are very wise to be careful.

I bet drivers are more used to seeing moose than runners (if any).
                              In fact, probably better to stop and take refuge than assume

drivers’ll be careful even if they see lights and reflective attire.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)