Masters Running

Wednesday, December 11 Winter Runs (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No run yet, just sitting her having my coffee, but I thought I would start the daily for once,

Still pretty slick out there and only 12 degrees, so I will stay on the TM this morning again.  On a work morning, I only have so much time, and the 20 minute to get layered up for these conditions really cuts into it.  

Nancy - Hiya!  No reason, just haven't said hi in a while.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, Holly.

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly, Mike, and everyone to follow!

Wow - you're up early, Holly!

Good morning, Mike.

Jlynne - we're going to have to stop meeting like this! 

Ribs, CNY, and C-R - With all the amenities some races have, you'd think it was a major event of which the race is one small part. I've done a few big-event races, and I don't need to do them anymore. I much prefer the smaller, simpler, friendlier races. In most cases, if I can get a banana and some water after a race, I'm happy. Being GF, I can't eat most of what many races put on the table anyway, I tend to bring my own post-race nutrition just to make sure I'm covered, and that's just not a big deal. Also: everyone should look at a race's cancellation policy, or even if they have a "no refund" policy, and then decide if they are willing to lose their entry fee if they have to cancel or if the race is canceled. If the answer is 'no,' then don't enter the race. For me, some races are getting too bloody expensive for a road race, so I pass them by.

My meeting last night was postponed (no reason given), which was too bad. I'm so looking forward to having that meeting behind me. It's tentatively rescheduled for next Tuesday.

I had similar conditions to Holly (slick by the side of the roads), but at 22F, not quite as chilly. So I put on an extra shirt and my winter-weight mittens and hit the roads at 4 o'dark for 6.3 racewalking miles. I stayed as much as I could in the car part of the road where just a little traffic got rid of the skim ice. I only got passed by 5 cars this morning, so staying in the road was relatively easy and safe (I could hear/see them long before they got near me). I saw a shooting star this morning, so I know today is going to be a good day - and I wish the same for everyone!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Ran along Mississippi River in New Orleans this morning.  Cold for them - 45.

cant do much more because iPhone changing every word

td have a fun day!

marj

Central Park run today---windier and icier than last time I was here, but glorious all the same. 14 miles total (two park loops and hotel and back distance).

So nice of all the city workers to wear reflective vests with my initials on them (CNY---oh wait! That means City of NY and not Central NY doesn't it?  Wink My C is for Central NY where they are expecting three feet of snow in the next coming storm. It looks like my old hometown will get an early lead on this year's golden snowball award.

Enjoy the day all whether it's snowing or sunny and warm.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters,  I've been AWOL for a week, climbing and camping in sunny southern California.  On the plus side, there's no snow here, but it was too cold to climb for 3 days out of 7, so we just went hiking. And I was wearing ski clothes at camp (parka, ski pants) - camping in December is not for the faint-of-heart!   Anyway, I'm flying home today, and have a little time to try to catch up here.

Welcome, Sunkid!    I hope you stick around - new faces are welcome here.

CNY - I loved the pictures of you in your Hot Chocolate Run outfit!  And cool that you got to see the Pro and LaT!

Jeanne - we always tie the Christmas tree to the ceiling, too.  Easy to do, and worth the peace of mind.

I haven't run at all in a whole week!  Good thing I already hit 2000 miles for the year, otherwise I'd be stressing about mileage.  I have run on camping trips before, when it was warm enough to clean up afterwards with cold water, but in cold weather it's just not at all appealing.

I've missed you guys - hope you've all been behaving?  Or at least not getting caught?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Good Morning Holly S

Good Morning Mike E

Good Morning coastwalker

Good Morning mrrun

Good Morning CNYrunner

Good Morning wiildchild - (Except for Ribs trying to get the new guy thrown out, everyone has been behaving.)

I waited until it got up in double digits and then went running.  5.5 miles total.  16°.  Feels like 7°.  I could have run on the treadmill but I'm not growing this beard for nothing.

sunkid

Good morning, all!

No run scheduled for me today and I sure can use the rest. Somehow, my 10 miles yesterday left me rather depleted. I guess it comes with this being the hardest week before my half at the end of the year. That race is an inaugural "holiday half marathon" with food drive. Registration was quite pricy ($89 ), but they offer bus transport, pace groups, and plenty of water stations. The course isn't the greatest as it follows one of our local freeways, but at least it's pretty much all downhill. The main reason I am running it is to get a feel for what paces I should be training at for a full marathon at the end of May.

Holly, coastwalker, CNY, & Dave59: I am diligently reading all your posts about running in winter conditions. My wife and I will be in the local mountains for a week starting the 21st and as wildchild points out, temperatures there can definitely be cold. Still not quite as cold as 12F and if the sun shines, day time temperatures can be quite pleasant. That said, long term forecast has a chance of snow starting on the 20th.

Dave59

Holly, coastwalker, CNY, & Dave59: I am diligently reading all your posts about running in winter conditions. My wife and I will be in the local mountains for a week starting the 21st and as wildchild points out, temperatures there can definitely be cold. Still not quite as cold as 12F and if the sun shines, day time temperatures can be quite pleasant. That said, long term forecast has a chance of snow starting on the 20th.

Don't follow my posts too much this year.  I am usually a wuss when it gets too cold.  This winter is an outlier in my normal behavior (if there is such a thing as normal behavior for me.)  The rest of those people you mentioned (as well as the rest of the people on the forum) are good consistent runners & race walkers.

Mike E

MM #5615

I haven't checked the weather forecast for Huntsville, AL. since Saturday...when it said there was a 10% chance of rain for this Saturday.  I just checked...now, there's a 90% chance of rain!  See?  This is why you need to check it every day, dang it.

By by the way....hi sunkid....welcome to the group.  I hope you stick around.

Oh...and we missed you, too, wildchild.

...Greetings

from

this Frozen Hell we used to call TheSouth...

18 last night, 30 today

colder'nthat tomorrow

============

32mprnb

with steps

........................do not be fooled by the Huntsville ''Rain'' forcast mikeE>>>>>>>it'll SNOW somewhere on the way

drive safe

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

...Greetings

from

this Frozen Hell we used to call TheSouth...

snork....

Wildchild - camping in the winter, you are REALLY tough!

Jay - you are calling ME up early?  

Mike - that happens in Ohio all the time, too - a perfect forecast completely turns around overnight.  You still have time for another turnaround, though.

Sunkid - the key is layers......

4 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...ok, it just hit the 40's......

NEVER MIND

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

sunkid, welcome and post often.  CNY, nice race and pictures.  ribs will be satisfied with your color coordination.  Tammy, happy birthday to your son.  wild, when I was a kid in scouts, we went winter camping a number of times.  Most of those trips were enjoyable (one notable exception was really miserable).  However, I'm a long ways from being a teen and it doesn't sound at all appealing  now.

Nice long runs for sunkid, C-R, and CNY.

This morning, it was in the mid teens and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles but don't know my time or pace as my Garmin was not charged.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Late to the party today.  Ran 5 miles early so I could get to the cardiologist for echo.  Last month was the stress test portion. Today they looked at the heart itself and I saw the images.  Dr. said the valve is as strong as ever and he is very pleased with what he saw. HR:  48, BP: 121/68, HDL:  109 (he was very happy about that. Troubling was the still high LDL at 100.  Back next month for another look at the blood to see if we can get it lower.  But I'm happy with the visit.  Spareribs