Masters Running

August 14th Runs - Brighter Days Are Ahead! (Read 512 times)

King of PhotoShop

DickyG, I think one of the best quotes on the subject came from Emil Zatopek, the great Czech runner who was known as 'the man who runs as though stabbed in the heart'. He said once, "Running is not like figure skating. It is not necessary to smile to impress the judges." Spareribs
    wildchild

Carolyn

I remember when they added trampoline as an Olympic event at the 2000 Sydney games, I heard a comedian on the radio say something like: Trampoline isn't a sport - it's a backyard game!!! Next thing you know, they'll be adding hide-and-seek as an Olympic event! I can imagine the commentators: "Canada appears to have the lead in the hide-and-seek competition... they haven't been seen for 7 hours now..."

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Don't start bashing figure skating....or you will be skating on thin ice with me. Evil grin

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Bucking the trend, here, I note that there are judges in other sports, and that these judges (referees, umpires, linesmen, etc) have an effect on the outcome of those sports as well. I think that in gymnastics, diving, figure skating, etc., there is a standard which is followed, but the "errors" which are made are very subtle for most people who are not experienced to notice. I think that these errors are captured in the form of deductions from a scale derived from the difficulty of the move or combination of moves. When I saw the cycle time trials, I did not see people competing against each other, as they each left two minutes apart. This is similar to ski events like downhill which are timed in order to determine the winner. The timed events are obvious, and missing a gate in skiing is a DQ for the run. But I think missing a gate in kayaking is a penalty (or deduction), which isn't so much different than having a "break" on the balance beam -- it's just a lot more obvious to you or me, and easier to judge. But was that a foul ball? Was that traveling? Was that a first down? These are judgments, and sometimes made in error. But that's all part of the sport. MTA: Nice run, Henry! (and Tramps, it's not always about the beer Smile )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Henrun

Yes, we're getting bored with diving and volleyball and will probably miss the women's marathon this Saturday since we're not sure if we'll be able to get it at my brother-in law's. On a good note, I did my longest run since March. Ran 13.5 miles along the Charles. I timed it so that Marj was able to meet me during her lunch time run and ran with me for 2 miles. Felt good all the way, but hope for a little more speed in 2 weeks for our 20K in New Haven.
              5 easy for me tonight. Rest day tommorrow. Gotta run. Great runs to everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Erika-We have Direct-TV and they have a soccer channel...it's great...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Renee the dog

Tramps and all, I always say, "If you have to impress a bevy of judges, you've gone into art territory." Not that it doesn't take a he!! of a lot of physical effort, and fitness, etc., but you've moved to a new thing. I feel my 7 miler coming on tomorrow. Drove the 5 hrs round trip to see my parents. Turned into 6 hrs driving 'cause a decent part was spent waiting after my car was hit by a woman who ran a stop sign. Now technicallly (for those judging Tongue ) this was not driving -- but did add to the kids drive time, so I'm counting it. I think I'll be thrilled to go running tomorrow, no matter what the weather, or how beat I feel. Obviously no one was hurt in this incident, which had 6 persons in 2 cars, so I consider myself very very fortunate. Dr. Landshark is helping ease my worries presently, as it was a rough day at the nursing home. Night all -- wishing for good runs and ideal weather for all tomorrow!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

Dr. Landshark? I don't get it, but glad it helps. Nonoruns, you need the biggest hug bank around, I swear. DS1 played almost the whole game tonight! Smile He was so happy, and he said his coach said he was glad he showed up (like he was afraid he wouldn't) because one of the other kids was hurt and couldn't play. AND, while they lost 3 to 1, it was their best game of the tournament as far as being on the ball and playing well together. Coincidence? Ha, I think not! He was really happy afterwards, because the got to play and he played very well. DS2's team lost their game... they were down so many players, had no subs at all. Against the toughest team in the state. (well, I guess as the two-time state champ, DS2's team would be the best team... or were... or would be if all the players were there and healthy!) They really like all the kids on this team and the parents all get along great too. Maybe a little too friendly, but after the game (3-0), they were all sharing hugs and laughs. So that's really cool. I'll have to check the web site later to see if they've updated it... they may be out completely, or they may be in 2nd and play on Saturday. A fight broke out on the field next to DS1's game, just minutes before the end. A real melee broke out, cops were called... it was pretty wild. Like a hockey game broke out!! So, I think both those teams are going to be disqualified... one team was the one DS1's team played yesterday, the other is the team for tomorrow night's game. Hmmm... they might get a win as a default if the other team has to forfeit!! That'd be funny... they'd be in the finals and haven't won a game all tournament! I ran 5.22 miles on the treadmill tonight, good call because by the time I was done there was lightening and wind, showers, the works. The poor dog is so freaked out by thunder. I ran most of my miles easy at 8:49, but got restless and added 3 x .25 mile @ 7:30 pace with .15 mile rests at 8:34 pace. That was fun. The same pace for the whole run just puts me in coma state....
                    munchkn883

Walked 9 holes on the golf course today (well technically yesterday since I'm posting a day late) in Greensboro. Does that count for one more walk this week? Wink