Masters Running

Tuesday's not so bad either - 1.8.13 (Read 307 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for including me in your column, Ribs!

Good luck with the knee, Baboon. I hope it'll be better once the swelling goes down.

Lamerunner, I'm glad to know that your knee is holding up OK with hiking and biking. Keep up the good work.

Was there a football game last night? I imagine someone won...

Marj, I LOVE the smell of a bakery! But being gluten-free, I often can enjoy no more than the smell. So it goes.

Dave - nice bathroom! Smart cats. Greta shot of Annabelle!

Another knee! Take care, Tet, and heal well and quickly. I hope the purple pills do the trick.

Good luck and have fun with the SRG, Tall.

Welcome back, Mike.

Glad your foot's behaving, Leslie.

5.7 racewalking miles at 4:15 - 24F under clear skies with a whisper of a SE breeze. I was cruising till I got close to the ocean - the breeze off the water brought in just enough moisture to make the roads sparkly and slick, so I had to back off my pace so I didn't wind up doing some star-gazing while flat on my back. In mile 3, my left foot started to hurt like a son-of-a-gun. It was mid foot, where I had surgery about 10 years ago. I tried to work through it, but it wasn't having it. So I backed off to a slow stroll till the pain dissipated, and then ramped up again without any more pain. What the heck was that all about? Except for that mile, my pacing was pretty good this morning, and it felt good to work hard. My hip/sciatica is bothering me some afterward, but I can deal with that.

Have a great day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Jay—I thought Tuesday was “just as bad”?  I bet 24F with damp wind coming off the ocean must feel good and chilly.  I hope the random pain is nothing to worry about.

Erika—that was a helluva elevation profile on Sunday…with accompanying temp differences, too.  Yowsa.

Baboon—Sorry to hear about the knee.  I hope it recovers quickly.

Football?  The only football discussion around here is the state of RGIII’s knee…and why the hell Shanny let him play so long.  This could get ugly.

Speaking of ugly…I bet the early hockey games next week will be just that.

EZ 7 today.

Be safe. Be kind.

What happened to the Irish????

Baboon - so sorry to hear about your knee. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Healing vibes to Jay, Tet, Tall and everyone else dealing with sore stuff too. Let's just blame it on winter.

Your bathroom turned out great Dave. With heated floors, I'd stay in there all day too. Those cats are pretty smart. And what a nice picture of your DD, her boyfriend and Annabelle. She sure has grown.

5 miles this morning with my knuckle lights (love 'em!), then to the Y for 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. And of course my planks. I did a 60 second front plank with elbows balancing on a Bosu ball, and two 30 second planks, one on each side. Today was the final weigh-in for their holiday weight loss contest. Ugh. I think I need an intervention...

What happened to the Irish????

I had sort of been wondering how they got into that game myself. Sure, they were undefeated, but look who they mostly played.

Spent most of the morning at the rec center, first in a spinning class that my legs were too dead to complete, then a round of weights and a half hour in the pool. I don't know if it's a specific issue or just the time of year, but I didn't feel that great on yesterday's 6-mile loop around the lake either (same place as Sunday's more sproinky outing).

I hope the rest of you are more energetic than I am today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hope everybody's finished doing their PushUps..........

===========

32min poolrun

strangely, no NewYearNewbies crowding up the pool

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

My head wasn't into running today but I did manage 4.24 miles before my route took me close enough to home that I decided it was enough.

Supposed to be 60° here on Saturday.  Guess there won't be any xc-skiing.

King of PhotoShop

Quick fly by here.  2.2 slow miles with my RP who is recovering from the flu, then a good flex workout at the Y.  Off to work.  Spareribs

I had sort of been wondering how they got into that game myself. Sure, they were undefeated, but look who they mostly played.

If other Teams had taken care of their own business late in the season (i.e. Oregon and K-State), ND probably wouldn't have been in.  Alabama absolutely wouldn't have been in had there been one other undefeated team.

I was kinda glad the score was 28-zip at halftime, so I could go to bed at a halfway decent hour (10 PM here in the east).  I was able to get up and get in a 6 mile easy-paced run with 1/2 mile or so near the end at tempo pace - just to mix things up a bit.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

delicate flower

Happy Tuesday!  Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday and today.  Much appreciated.  The pain and swelling in my knee are down today, but now I can really feel that something is messed up.  I sw my PCP yesterday and he ordered me an MRI.  I see the ortho next Tuesday.  I'm holding out hope that I'll be back to running in time for my Feb 23 HM.

<3

(Thinking evil thoughts about Stanford ruining a perfectly wonderful Ducks football season.)  (brightening)  But our coach didn't defect to the NFL for one more year!

3 gentle miles this morning.  The little 20-minute runs are now little 30-minute runs; yay.  Have to get back in shape because The Tamster has challenged me to a duel.

Marathon Maniac #957

What the heck was that all about?

I know what you mean - I've had those strange pains that come and go, inexplicably.

4 easy-paced miles for me this morning, plus my planks.

Only 8 weeks till March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I predicted 37-17 Tide.  Not too far off.  I also used the half-time score to head off to bed.  of course, I first had to pack for my first trip of the year--off in a few hours to NC once again.  but only for the rest of the week.

5:30 this morning was painful, but i got my 3.25 miles in to make sure I keep on as regualr a schdeule as possible.  9:19 pace felt easier than it has, so I'm encouraged.  Now I just ahve to keep the length going up.

Nice bathroom, DAve.  That's on our (growing) remodel list, too.  Now that we've been in this house for almost 30 years, most of the stuff that we did early on and still think of as "new", is looking PRETTY shabby. Roll eyes  Learning the hard way that once is not enough if you stay in one place long enough.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

baboon, bummer about the knee.  I hope it ends up being not too serious and healing quickly.  Nice long run for Tramps.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:09 pace.  I had an interesting experience on my run that you urban and suburban runners will probably never have.  I was plodding along in the dark when I heard a lot of loud "clomp, clomp, clomp" behind me.  I wondered, "What the heck is that" and turned to see 3 cows trotting down the road behind me.  Off to my right, I saw another cow running on the other side of a fence where, I assume, my 3 friends were supposed to be.  They acted like they wanted to keep following me so I turned around, ran at them, and shouted.  That got rid of them.  I would have had a hard time explaining to my wife if they'd followed me home and into our yard.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77 if you do a bathroom remodel I highly recommend following in Dave59's tracks and putting in under tile heating.  We did it over a decade ago.  It is wonderful!  Best of all, the cost is trivial if you do it when you are replacing the tile.  After that . . . forgetta about it!

tselbs great story!  ROFLMAO!  Personally, I think three pet cows would be quite a hoot!  Not something most people have.  Heck, I do not know anybody else who can even say a cow or three followed them on a run!

Just gym work for me today.  Tomorrow I will try a 1/3 mile walk and 3 2/3 mile run.  If the ankle just holds up . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I had an interesting experience on my run that you urban and suburban runners will probably never have.  I was plodding along in the dark when I heard a lot of loud "clomp, clomp, clomp" behind me.  I wondered, "What the heck is that" and turned to see 3 cows trotting down the road behind me.

Strangely enough, though I live in urban S. Fla., my city has it's roots in Horses and Cattle.  I actually run past a small pasture that has 3 or 4 cows in it most every morning.  I don't know what I'd do though if the cows were to follow me down the road.  I certainly wouldn't turn around and yell at them.   Big grin

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong