Masters Running

Tuesday Is It Really Back to School Time Runs (Read 399 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi everybody,

The PBJ family has been away on vacation in Maine.  I ran around Big Indian Lake 5 times in 6 days - it was great.  That really boosted my weekly mileage (84 in the last week of July).  Sunday was a difficult run - 24 miles in 3:17.

Today I went 11 miles - it felt pretty easy, even though it was still humid in the morning.

Looks like I'm headed to Bristol, NH the first week in October for the NH marathon - anyone else doing it?

I'll stay in touch.

PBJ

Twocat - the sky was just starting to flicker a bit when I let Jesse out for her last tour of the yard.  I slept through the rest of the light show.  Sorry I missed it.

Amie - it's going to toddler city in your house - good luck keeping up with the young'uns!

Karin - Happy Anniversary!!  You rock - I'll never see the bottom side of 7 minute miles - you're my hero!!

Yoga was canceled today - sigh....  An hour on the bike instead - I really didn't want to be a sweaty mess, but there was no alternative.  

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Nice intervals in the H&H Holly.  CNY, wouldn't expect anything less than a stellar workout from you!

Rest day

It started raining yesterday, at first just light sprinkles and I commented to my neighbour how nice it was, since we have had virtually no rain in 3 months.  He said, be careful....once it starts it doesn't stop for 9 months.  So then it started raining heavier and heavier and was still raining this morning.  I almost wanted to go run in it for the cooling effect but I was too tired.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

deez, continued thoughts for improvement for your son.  wildchild, it sounds like you had a fantastic family get together.  hopeful, best wishes for good biopsy results.  Happy anniversary to mariposai and CNY.

Nice long runs for breger, sue (with speedwork), CNY (with speedwork), and PBJ.  Good job on the speedwork for breger, SLO runningsmarter, and holly.

This morning, I had some minor knee twinges while doing my morning exercises.  It's probably nothing but I don't want to mess things up for the Crim in less than 2 weeks.  Therefore, I decided to try a couple of slow miles to see how it went.  The temp was in the low 70s and it was humid.  I felt "dead" and did 3 miles in about 30:30 for a 10:11 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Morning (or Afternoon, as the case may be) Folks -

Two carpy nights of sleep kept me in bed too long this a.m.  So no time for my alt. cardio, but did get in an hour of core and upper body strengthening.  The stomach muscles are definitely getting harder - but you can't see them.   Will this little aggravating layer ever go away??

Twocats - Without looking back to see if you did it in the first place, try using a juice for your liquid the next time you smoke . . . . uh, food that is.  The Hub mostly uses apple juice 'cause he uses apple tree wood soaked in the juice, along with briquettes.  Also, a trick that he has started w/the tri-tips is covering them in some dry rub he's concocted, smoking them for 3 hours directly on the grill, then wrapping them in foil w/apple juice and continuing smoking for another hour.  He retains the juice for dipping when he unwraps the meat at the end.  He also learned the trick of cutting a potato in half, sticking the thermometer through the potato, then setting the potato, flat side down on the grill. 

Keeps the thermometer in position.

Enjoying the fruits of The Hub's labors (the dude with the mohawk looked mean, but was really nice):

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

hi everybody,

Did I miss a beer baby announcement?  i noticed yesterday (I think it was yesterday) that the grandbeers were absent....   

Nono,  (sadly?) it did make sense.  Smile    and I have been meaning to congratulate Craneium too... and keep forgetting to type it.  

Craneium, congratulations!   Extend that to your DW too, for all her wonderful support.

Happy belated anniversay Nancy & Mr. Nancy!!     Loved what your boys wrote to you.   It speaks volumes about your family. 

Toms, I hope your knee's ok!

Amie, I'm glad. 

(((((Mary))))

Nice runs/ intervals/ dripping today!

I know I'm missing lots of things but am so tired I could go to sleep right here at my desk. 

Oh... Carolyn, I do eat fish.  Not very often.   hmm, smoked tofu.  my lunches are getting a little boring.   If it works I'll let you know ;-).   better try to pre dry it a bit first, you think?   Your family reunion sounded wonderful. 

Jlynne, how was all your company? 

Twocat, maybe you're right.  

my polar footpod battery was dead today.  It took me almost as long to map my run as it did to run it.  (will get a battery on the way home!)  I think it was 7.2 miles at a 10:12 pace.  It felt faster than that, but maybe not.  I did add a few more hilly spots, & did the section with the paths through the woods & bridges, which slows me down a little.    things continue to hurt less, but I think I did something dumb yesterday & have sacral torsion (the dreaded) again.  Thurs. I'll go see my D.O. for my first regular 3 week tune up.  Smile

evanflein

Hey, real quick pop in to post my runs and scan what's been happening lately.

First of all, so sorry to Tim for his setback. I sure hope it's not as severe as first thought. Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs to SteveP, too. (and to his DW, but just because--and I hope she checks the silverware when she gets home) I hope your knee is better soon. How'd you let a case of poison ivy go so awry?? I've had the baker's cyst before when I was in my late teens/early 20's. They really are painful, can't imagine it bursting. Ow.

Happy anniversary to my dear friend Mariposai!! You and your DH make a wonderful team. Love you both.

Did I miss a CNY anniversary also? If so, happy years to you, too.

Great long runs out there (CNY, you are amazing!) and WRFB, and Deb's longest and too many others to remember!

Welcome back from vacation, Holly (and SLO and PBJ). Holly, remember that vacation weight can take a couple days to stabilize. Give yourself a few days and try again. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. Nice workouts for you, too, really. Re-entry can be very hard (and going from West to East is really hard!!).

The smoke has really cleared in Fairbanks after all the rain (all night Saturday night) and winds from the north (where the fires are out or severely curtailed). It was nice to see the surrounding hills so clearly before we left.

I'm in Kenai, and spotty internet access at best. Now I'm in the parking lot of the Kenai visitor's center with free access. DS2 won first game, second game starts in an hour. He got the first goal of yesterday's game for his team, tying the score 1-1. Then he passed the ball to a teammate who scored the second (winning) goal with just 5 minutes remaining. those games are hard on the parents as well as the players! Today's game should be a little less stressful, as the team is not as good as yesterday's opponent. But... never assume anything, right?

I'm reshuffling my weekly schedule to try to get all my miles in. It's hard because this is another peak week, and not sure when I'll fit in my 20 miler. Maybe Thursday when the team has a day off. Yesterday I ran 4.5 supposed-to-be-recovery miles, that ended up as 8:17 avg pace (oops). Today was Wednesday's run, and was a good mix of easy, tempo and hills. Ended up with 11 miles at 8:13 avg pace. Tomorrow will be 5 or so easy, then maybe 20 on Thursday, We'll see.

Have a great week, all. I may not be able to check in again for a few days. (weather is unbelievably gorgeous in Kenai!!)

Belated Anniversary greetings, Mari and George.

Glad you have good weather for a change, Erika.

What Erika said, Holly--especialy if you keep up those runs!

yes, thinking of you deez, and your son.

Hope y'all who had storms are drying out.....and those with humidity, too.

We're in the 90s but the other H is only 22% so not too bad.  I just did 5.12 at lunch in a "slog" and stopped at midpoint to walk around the sundial we have on the bikepath.  The local garden club puts in cresent shaped beds of flowers, color themed in a way, w/o being too planned.  One cresent is just all pink and magenta dianthus, another is red and yellow Indian Paintbruse, then there are pink, white and purple petunias in another, a few with burgundy, white and yellow snapdragons.......such a gift to the rest of us.

So, no, I refuse to say summer is over!  Am enjoying every day of it.  Hope you do too!

grins,

A

Kevin, pshew!

Masters 2000 miles
                  dg.

Erika,  I am so glad your smoke has cleared!!  congrats to DS2.   good luck to him tomorrow.   Have you been to Kenai before?  hard I'd think to get in a 20 mile run in a new place.    though now that I think about it, you do it all the time!

Aamos that sounds beautiful.  it's tricky to make it not look too planned like that.   Where I run they have a rain garden, & I've gotten to where I just have to walk past it before I start to run.  It's fairly wild, tall yellow daisy types, something that looks a little like bee balm but isn't, spiderwort, a few other things.  I love it, but today I noticed bindweed has pulled a lot of it down... was tempted to start weeding.

Nono...  I need your opinion!!   could you look at week 15's workout for tomorrow?  I think it should be 5 1K intervals, not 4, looking at how he built up before the last recovery week, & looking at the parallel weeks in level 2.  What do you think?

SteveP

Happy belated anniversary, Mariposai!

(((((Hopeful)))))...Brinkley will prolly do the dishes

CNY!! A rocking run!!!and an anniversary!!! (Say "and an anniversary" ten times fast. Don't let any one hear you...You'll get locked up.)

Leslie, the kids got me a propane smoker for Father's day. Flippin sweet. I've put reduced priced fruit over the meat and let it drip on the food. Since I'm a backwwods hick, there's plenty of cherry and maple wood around. There's apple orchards where the farmers are happy to give the wood away...I just finished dinner and this has made me all hungry again.

DG, the hurting less is good news..careful.. you have lofty goals.

Ya know Erika, I don't know how it went awry. The Dr. said it was odd. I told him that I've heard that about nearly every exam I've had. This time he did not ask if there was a history of mental illness. That's too bad cause I've been having fun with the answer.

Very kewl on DS#2!! Gotta love the porud parents.

I've not seen DW, the kids, nor Tag since Saturday. It's kewl how much I miss them.  I'm sure I won't miss DW so much when she sees all the waffle cone crumbs in bed. It's kind of nice though, I wake up in the middle of the night, brush a fistful into my hand and instant midnight snack. Man my brain does wonderful things.

Meteor showers tonight kids!!

SteveP

Renee the dog

Nono...  I need your opinion!!   could you look at week 15's workout for tomorrow?  I think it should be 5 1K intervals, not 4, looking at how he built up before the last recovery week, & looking at the parallel weeks in level 2.  What do you think?

I think you are right, but I'd keep 4x in my back pocket if things aren't going well. Reasonable?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

yes, reasonable. thanks!   ;-)  (is that also part of our plan??)

thanks Steve.   yes, kewl how much you miss them.  

(funny how those 2 posts worked together....)

'nite kids

Did I miss a beer baby announcement?  i noticed yesterday (I think it was yesterday) that the grandbeers were absent....  

No, still waiting.  And waiting.

I guess we didn't get a chance to get on yesterday.  Here's my run.  

8.1 miles, 1:07:25, 8:17/mi, AHR 160 (82% MHR)

Hopefully it'll be a bit cooler this morning...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com