Masters Running

Saturday, July 12th - it's the week end! (Read 341 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

When plans fizzled to go to Spokane and up the ante from last weekend's 26.2 miles in today's 34 mile Mt. Spokane run (20 miles to and 14 miles up) and redeem only getting to mile 30 last year, I started out from downtown Seattle for the beloved Cougar Mountain Series 10 mile run but, as always seems to happen in Bellevue, got lost and ended up on bike paths paralleling I-420 instead of I-90 and ended up in Kirkland. Took the bus back after 20 miles. . Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now a long overdue visit to see Princess Holly and how her you-know-what is doing. Smile (don't tell her this is how I recover from doublicate posts)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet, tet, tet!! Don't you believe in maps!! I really wanted to bail on the Cougar Mountain 10 mile trail race today, but I kept saying to myself....you can't let a Boomer God down! Sorry to hear you ended up in Kirkland, go for a dip while there? At least you had a nice 20 miler....I think. Ok, so I did the above race, even though I had stomach cramps all last night and woke up with a headache too....ok enough whining. No wait, there is more whining. This 10.2 mile trail run was the same course as the last 7.4 mile run with an added 3 mile loop, and about another 1000 feet of climb thrown in for good measure. Wilderness Peak loop kicked my butt. The first ascent wasn't bad, but next was a HUGE descent, switchback style that went on for at least 20 minutes. I was leaning forward, with my toes that is, it was so steep and a bit scary I must say. Then of course another HUGE ascent. As I was walking up this second biggie, I had to stop for a minute from shear exhaustion, Dead from just WALKING! up that bugge*. At that point I decided I should take the short cut back to the start, take my bib off and swallow my first DNF. But you know, "it doesn't always get worse" (one of my favourite mantras) and I started to feel better once I hit the aid station. Then there was only the 2.2 mile deceiver loop, which last time I thought was tough, today it felt like a leisurely stroll around Green lake. It's funny how your perspective can change after a brief encounter with wilderness peak. Evil grin So I am in a quandary. I have already paid for the last run of the series, 13 miles, which will be the same course as the 10miler, plus another loop, promised not to be as bad as wilderness peak, but still, I'd have to do "the peak" again! I don't really want to do it. Undecided 10.19 miles 2:25:29 14:16 pace no face plants

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

jlynne, happy anniversary even though you and your husband had to share it long distance. perch, nice picture of you and munch. Twocat, it's neat you got to have dinner with btb and family. We're all envious. enke, nice Couger Mt. race. Nice long runs for Dave (first 10 in over a year), BC, ant tet (getting lost on way to planned race). This morning, I did an 8K race and will post a report later today or tomorrow. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          evanflein

How did Tet get so lost? Was this on the trip to the race? Or during the race? Don't you live around there, dear Tet? You really have the most amazing experiences.... Enke, good job on finishing that sucker. And yes, you should do the next one! Now you've got the experience of the Peak, you can see how you can better your time! I'd love a second chance at it.... Go for it! Hope Perch and JJJ are doing well. Twocat I hope you have a good one, please tell BTB we miss him. Hope everything's ok with him. How's Amy? Tall, look at this time with your girls gone to spend some selfish time just on you. I think it'd be good for you. Ok, all you folks dealing with that high humidity just amaze me. Today I ran 8.2 miles on the trail that starts up above my house a few miles. It's a lot of downhill (with uphills, too) on the way out, and reverse on the way back (duh). The temp said 57F when I parked the truck at the trailhead, but it felt warmer than that. On the trail you're deep in the woods and had to keep going or become lunch for mosquitoes. Ran thru spiderwebs and bugs (bleh), mud, roots and ruts. A true trail run! Loved it. Sure felt steamy back on the trail. I got back to the trail (6.6 miles), dripping wet. Drove part way back to home and stopped where I had a couple miles of rolling (easy) hills to finish my run. 8.2 miles, lots of hills, 1:16 for 9:17 avg pace (which means little as mile splits were really all over the place). I checked the weather site and it said 62% humidity two hours after my run (and 69F). Felt much muggier than that...
            Mariposai

Great trail race Enkie. I love trail running and racing, it is indeed a beast of a different nature than road racing. Glad to see that no face planting there!. Back from the Run the Sun 10 miles trail race. Dead tired, mouth full of dust, but very happy with my 3rd place age group placement. I snip 11 minutes from last year's time. Yap...my butterfly wings are happy. Off to the lake to play in the water with my son and his friends and then I will work on a RR and catch up with the daily here.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

I neeed help!!! Long run planned today at 16 to 18 miles, with speed work in the middle....3 at 8:00 pace and 3 at 7:30 pace. I knew it would be hot and humid out today so I started hydrating very well all day yesterday and last night. I woke up early this morning to start my run before it got too hot out. It was storming out till about 10:00 am then I saw a small window of clear weather, but knew it would rain on me too....and I drank 60 ounces of water waiting to run. Long story short...everything was going as planned till mile 10...after my first 7:30 repeat. The rain had stopped and the sun came out and it was extremely hot. I planned this run so I would have water every 4 miles, and drank till I was satisfied, and then some....and was taking enlyten strips too. After mile 11 I knew I couldn't do any speed work, and just wanted to make it home. At mile 12 I had to stop and rest as my HR was off the charts just sitting down, and knew I had 4 more miles to make it home...I really didn't see it happening. I took off slow and jogged a few miles, then had to stop and rest. I looked at a bank sign and it said it was 92 degrees, and I already knew the humidity was over 90 % before I began my run. The last few miles my HR continued to rise, and I began walking a 1/4 mile, then jogging a 1/4 mile...just trying to make it home....I had to walk most of mile 16, but still counted it as running...because of how much it hurt. When I FINALLY made it home, it took everything I had to walk up my stairs to my apartment...had to stop half way to catch my breath. I actually was scared that I was going to have a heart attack or something, with my very high HR and feeling so bad....140 BPM just standing. OK, enough of my whining. After I took a shower I weighed myself certain that I was NOT dehydrated after allll that I had drank. Sure enough, after weighing myself before..after I had drank a lot, and after, I had lost 9 pounds??? This is horrible and I just DON'T understand how anyone drinks enough in these conditions. Anyone have suggestions??? Sorry, not in a very good mood right now. But I do want to add...since we are all grown ups here. I made sure my urine was almost clear before my run, and I had to pee 2 times during my run. So I suspect I was hydrated properly...right. I haven't had to "go" now 6 hours now after my run, but imagaine it will be dark yellow which will be a bad sign. OK...stats Ribs, just read this and I will Email mile for mile, ok. 16 miles - 2:33:10 - 9:34 ave pace...how in the world I ended up with that average pace after stopping and walking I will never know??? It wasn't that long ago I would consider that a decent average for a long run. Everyone...I really am in a bad mood, and don't expect people to read and respond to my stupid rant...but just irratated at myself for NOT getting it right today...yes I am hard on myself to perform well. Thanks if you made it this far. Tall...you have "dates" not just "a" date. Geez dude, I need to come to "girl land" where you are at!!! Hope Steve did well today, along with other racers...and everyone else too!!! Drinking lots of water, Tim.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, Running in 92F and 90% humdity is a recipe for a tough day. You may have been okay to just run this one slow. But that 1st 7:30 Repeat in the H&H put your HR up there, and with the H&H, it wasn't coming back down much, no matter the pace after that. I have a personal theory of my own that when running long, you have to keep the HR under control as long as you can. Because when it spikes up, it rarely if ever comes back down to a manageable BPM. HR creep we all know about. But for me, when the HR goes away on me, it's Bonk time. I have to believe that 1st repeat set all this in motion for you. Rest up, sleep, eat and drink today and tomorrow. You'll recover quickly and come back strong. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

just popping in to say Hi!! twocat and btb -- have a great race!! tim - sorry your run was so frustrating - 9lbs is a crazy weight loss esp. after it sounds like you did all the right things i'm in a twisted state -- had an awesome time at Bon Jovi thursday night, then worked 16 hours last night and back for 12 more tonight - on top of that things are just not good on the homefront and its putting me in a funk -- hopefully i will get out for a run after i sleep tomorrow and even tho it won't help the tension between me and dh it should help my state of mind!!

denise

Tim - I think Breger is right. He has lots of experience with running in the H&H and knows how much it takes its toll, especially over such a long distance. A question, had you already done the 3 miles @ 8:00? I can't believe you lost 9 pounds, peeing twice along the way, the most I have lost is 2. But it seems from the posts I've read that men can lose a lot more in sweat, they just sweat more on average than women. Don't beat yourself up so much. 92F?? It sounds like you overdid it in the beginning of the run, soley because of the H&H. My HR just standing after my marathon was I thought about 140. I thought I was gonna puke or pass out. As it turns out it was higher than that (when I checked what 140 felt like on the TM one day). deez - i hope things settle down! Running always helps.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for asking. YES, I have done this same workout many times...usually too fast actually. Today was just sooo hot, that it zapped the energy from me. Thanks Bill...I know you run in this "stuff" all the time. You are right, once my HR got up there...that was it for the day, in the conditions. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

just saying hi & good night. {{{Holly}}}, {{{Deez4}}} Enke & Tim, sorry you had such tough days. Erika, you're rough & tough. Big grin TomS, looking forward to your report. Nancy, congratulations!! Smile looking for news from Grandfather Mountain! they have a link for 2008 results on their site, but it doesn't go anywhere yet. good luck Bob & Twocat!
                          Mariposai

Drinking lots of water, Tim.
                            Tim, how are you right now? I congratulate you for finishing this run. I would have just ditch it and take a taxi home Shy. Seriously, I was wondering also about hyponatrimia...too much water? Did you have any headache after you were done? I don't know...60 oz of water just before you went out could be a bit too much. I am sure others will talk about this, I am not an expert, but I have ran in 100 degree weather with huge humidity in my South America and even then I never had to take that much water. Like Bill said, once that HR go high it is time to quit and call it a day, at least for a newbie like me. Good luck my friend. Take care. Please remember this is just a training run...a training for the big day...you will have high and low day until your victory lap day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Hey all! I've not been around lately, so wanted to pop in and say hello. I've been off camp counseling this week - just returned yesterday and STILL trying to feel normal again. Maybe after another night of solid sleep I'll feel good tomorrow. So, with a busy week away at camp I only got in two runs. I ran 10 miles on Monday (before campt) and I ran 6 today. Next week will be better though. Hopefully will hit about 25 or so and am thinking of doing a 10K trail race on Saturday. Back to work on Monday! yay!

Tammy

evanflein

Tim, you can't control the conditions, but you can control your run. You probably should've dialed this one back long before you did. It's great to have a plan, but when things aren't right for it it's time to change the plans. Hope you get equilibrated soon and feel better. Get a good night's sleep and I bet you'll feel much better. Deez, special {{hugs}} to you. You work a crazy schedule. I can empathize with you on the strained relations at home. Been dealing with that for over a year myself... Remember the priorities, but be sure you and your well being are on the list. Mariposai... {{hugs}} to you because you're so special.