Masters Running

Village Runner Fourth of July 5K (Read 330 times)

huskydon

Short version:  Ran reasonably well (23:55), about as expected, and met many friends at this local race.  

Long version:  Uncharacteristically, I impetuously registered for this large race in Redondo Beach, part of which overlooks the Pacific Ocean.  The local part is great, but last year there were over 2000 finishers in this small town type of race and I usually avoid those kinds of races, hoping to get a better time in a less crowded venue.  Also, I had not done nearly any speed work at all (does two miles in the past two and a half months count?) as they have been resurfacing all the tracks in this part of town. 

I did get to meet BruceMorant before the race and I was very happy to see him.  He told me what time he was shooting for and I resolved to try to keep up with him.

The start was a bit crowded, but manageable as we got fairly close to the start (It took 8.8 seconds to cross the mat).  There was chip timing and that was a help.

There was the national anthem and then we were off.   After a couple minutes, I hooked up with Bruce and ran off his shoulder for about a half mile.  This really helped me not to go out too fast.  Just before the first mile marker came up, I felt I was going too slow, and settled off on my own.  Also, during the first mile, I saw one of my many bosses at work, who was there to cheer on his fast son, presumably.   The course is out and back and I was very surprised to see the leaders on their way back after I had only run a mile or so. 

The second and third miles, I tried to push, but it didn’t feel like I was going that fast.  At the end, I hooked up with another of my work friends and that helped some, but it didn’t seem like I had a decent kick in me.

Splits:    7:56/ 7:38 / 7:37/ 0.44 (7:12 pace for the last tenth of a mile – seemed short, though).  Overall 7:42/ mi pace, 11 sec/ mi off my 5K PR.  Considering the absolute lack of speedwork, I figured this was pretty close to what could be reasonably expected.  

Fashion(?) report:  orange Walmart singlet, bright blue Brooks trunks, Asics Gel Cumulus 9’s, Brooks socks.  Before and after the race, I was surprised by how many people I knew (6) in the massive crowd who ran into me.  I now realize it was the bright orange top and the seemingly clashy blue shorts. 

There was pizza and whole apples afterwards as well as the usual bananas and oranges.   There was also one of those thingees where the little kids jump around in.  I have never seen so many kids in one of those at the same time….. 

This is a good race, especially for someone in the local area.  I am glad I signed up and could meet up with Bruce and many work friends.

PS:  Village Runner is the name of the running store which sponsors the race. 

Thanks for reading!

Huskydon.   Good for you.  You did really well.  Maybe not doing speed work made you more relaxed and loose, and  so you were rarin' to go!  Kidding, you are just fast anyway!   Anyway, Congratulations.  It is fun to know some people in the race, isn't it?  The one home town race I did was a bunch of fun.  Woods lady

#artbydmcbride

Bright Orange and Blue?  On the 4th of July???     Sheesh, have I taught you nothing about fashion?  Big grin

Nice racing, speedy!  I think you should run lots of 5ks this summer and see what happens!   Smile

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

in Redondo Beach, part of which overlooks the Pacific Ocean. 

You mean only part of the beach overlooks the Pacific Ocean?  

Nice race, Speedy Guy! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice run and report.  That's a lot of folks for a local race.  Your splits look really good, looks like you started comfortably and then picked it up, I bet you passed a lot of folks in the last mile.

Nice job!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
              Orange & Blue. University of FL.  You would be right in style here in Orlando.

It sounds like you had agreat race.  You met up with lots of friends in a large race and got a PR.  Congratulations.

TomS

SteveP

HuskyDon, your event sounds like a wonderful time. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

TammyinGP

Nice Racing SpeedyDon!  and I don't care what Ilene says . . . I'm sure you looked quite fashionable . . . in an odd sort of way. 

Tammy

hey Huskydon, you did very well in that very crowded race. The heck with your fashion report, I'm amazed you are still running in those Cumulus 9 shoes (aren't they the ones you said that had 800 miles on them?)! Glad you met up with Bruce! He's always nice to see at local races.

p.s. I know what you mean about our neighborhood streets being all torn up lately, so I am going back to running on the wood chip path on 190th and Herondo.  And about doing speedwork, it's not like you can use the nearby tracks since both RBHS and West HS are torn up for repairs.

huskydon

Thanks all, for your support and kind words.

I got into the habit of wearing orange after several near misses with cars.  I did notice that Aretha Franklin herself wore some orange outfit during her performance on the 4th of July.   And I just happened to pick up the blue shorts because they were on sale, not because they matched or clashed.

Redondo Beach is actually a city (in addition to a beach), not all of which is on the ocean.  It is actually mentioned in the Beach Boys song "Surfin' USA."

Yep, I am running in my Cumulus 9's but only for races now, as they are approaching the twilight of their useful existance, with about 895 miles.   They are very light, several ounces lighter than all the other Cumulus shoes I have, so it gives me a bit more edge and confidence.  Drom, it has been a pleasure seein' you in the neighborhood awhile ago. 

hello again Don! Wow, 895 miles on a pair of Cumulus 9 is amazing. I agree with you, the later versions are a bit heftier.

I didn't know Redondo Beach was mentioned in that Beach Boys song!

King of PhotoShop

Haggerties and swamies
                            Pacific palisades
                            San anofree and sunset
                            Redondo beach l.a.
                            All over la jolla
                            And waimia bay

Everybodys gone surfin
                            Surfin u.s.a.

I used to work in Redondo Beach a lot, staying at a hotel right on US 1.  I remember leaving my hotel and running up into the PV hills where Dromedary runs now.  Spectacular runs there.

Don, you need to continue to look for local fiveK's like this and use them to stay sharp, along with your other running.  Good for you to get out there and race.  Racers are the best.  Spareribs

If you run in the woods during hunting season, it is a good idea to wear red. The idea is that the hunters can see you, and won't think you are a deer or elk.   I like the idea of wearing orange out on the roads.  Think I will do that.   Safety first!   Woods Lady