Masters Running

To run or not run my upcoming marathon - what would you do? (Read 32 times)

metalmancpa

The Cape Cod Marathon is in less than two weeks. I am torn whether to run it or not, and am just curious if you were in my situation would you run it or not?

I've logged around 1,750 miles this year, all with one race in mind, this upcoming marathon. The Falmouth Road Race and half marathon I ran over the summer were in my mind training runs. Although I have put in a solid long run in a while (16 on 9/19, 14 on 9/24, 12 on 10/13) due to circumstances, that is of no concern to me. I've put in the work, and other than SVT am pretty sure I could complete the marathon, and maybe in the sub-4 goal that I want.

So here's my dilemma. Mom passed away a week ago Monday. After years of finally having her be OK with a half marathon distance, she never wanted me to run a marathon. She felt it was too much for the body. Because of this, I am struggling with several choices whether to run or not:

• Do not run the marathon in her memory as she never wanted me to run it.
    • Run the marathon in her memory, and struggle through it as she did with her battle with lymphoma.
    • Do not run the marathon because I have no idea once on the course I'll have the mental toughness to push through after what I've dealt with in recent months.
    • Run the marathon because I've trained for it all year.

So, out of curiosity, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

In a sense it's sort of comical I am having this struggle with this race. In truth it's a bucket list race, to check off a marathon to say I did it. And I know there are other marathons down the road if I choose not to run this one. I suppose the only reason I'm at this crossroad is how recently my Mom passed.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Assuming it doesn't clash with any funeral obligations, I'd run it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Quickadder

Metal, I would absolutely run it.

I'm sorry to hear that your mother passed and can understand your dilemma.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would ask select clients, friends and family to sponsor me with the proceeds going to a lymphoma charity or a hospital in mother's memory.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

DAW60

Hi Metal,

Sorry to hear about your mother.  I would run it.  You have a good base for the year, despite the lack of recent longer runs.  You never know what might happen in the meantime.  I never would have imagined I would not be running any more marathons since 2010 due to various injuries and regret not running Boston when I had the chance.

Metal - so sorry for your loss.  I know you mentioned your parents several times during our time on RW.  It's never easy, even when we're somewhat prepared for it.  That being said, I concur with the others - go for it.  Since it is on your bucket list, and so many unforeseen things could happen between now and another shot at a marathon, go ahead and run it now.  I've witnessed your training and you are more than ready to complete the race.  Your mileage base is more than sufficient, and short of an 18-20 miler, you've checked all of the boxes.  As for your mother not wanting you to run a marathon - my father was (and still is) convinced that long distance running was going to destroy my knees.  To this day he still asks "how are your knees holding up?"  If I honored his urging to not run long races, I would never have had the satisfaction of completing several marathons, including a couple of near-BQ races.  Have a nice taper, run your best, and may the SVT stay away!

For me running has always been cathartic.

I went for a long run after each of my close relatives or friends died. Like freakin' Forest Gump. It always made me feel better. A race is different than just going for a long run, though. I suspect your Mom would have been more impressed and proud of you finishing a marathon than worried about your health. she sounds like my Mom, 86; who also recently told me that "people weren't meant to run that far" when we were talking about running and some races or routes that I wanted to do. But conversely she has always been my biggest fan.

If it were me, I'd run it.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Prince of Fatness

Assuming it doesn't clash with any funeral obligations, I'd run it.

I ran a marathon the day before my father's funeral.  I offered not to but my family wanted me to so I did. It was a hot morning and my taper consisted of a lot of vodka tonics due to all of the stress. Still I ended up holding goal pace for 20 miles then my legs cramped up.

I didn't regret it then and I don't now. A few hours of alone time on the roads helped me I believe. Your mother is at peace now so whatever decision you make be sure that it is something that you are comfortable moving forward with.

Condolences

Not at it at all. 

Mike E

MM #5615

My sister used to always scold me for running marathons.  She was so sure that I was going to just plop over and die in the middle of one.  But, after she died, I talked to several people who told me how proud she was of me for all the marathons I had run.  I'm very sorry for the loss of your mom...I lost my mom, too...and she always told that quitters never win...I can't tell you how many times those words got me through some tough runs.  You need to do what feels right for you...but I would run it...and I would talk to Mom the whole way.

I just went through surgery to burn off a stretch of my tongue to remove pre and full blown cancer cells. I have none of the habits associated with tongue cancer. You never know if there will be a tomorrow for another marathon or anything else. Run the race.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

You never know if there will be a tomorrow for another marathon or anything else. Run the race.

+1  I lost my sister unexpectedly, and every time I run a race I think of her. Pretty sure your mother would want you to run. Go for it.

Run it in her memory and I know she would support you every step! (no matter what she said)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth