Masters Running

Mondaily, 5.14.18 (Read 40 times)

...thanks tramps//.......that does make sense.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

bioguy

5 miles after work today. Kind of warm out and I didn't have much oommph.

Tailwinds!

Leslie- that is horrible.  I’m so sorry.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

4.3 miles on Hot springs mountain with the trail gang.  90f and humid...yowsa I baked out there.  Headed to the sports doc tomorrow to try and find out whats up with my wonky knee.  Boy I wish my body would cooperate!

Trails Rock!

fatozzig awful. Monsters walk among us.

Nothing for me today. Just an hour in the gym. I did run yesterday and it went well. During my run I passed my DW and her friend who were out on a different route together. My DW said my gait looked fine and I was not favoring one leg or the other. That was very heartening since sore hamstrings = asymmetric gait. I think I am going to stay off of running until the weekend, but if my hamstrings continue to feel good I am going to go back to regular training.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That's good news, Twocat.

Leslie--that is terrible.

Tramps--we're doing a remodeling project for a retired doctor.  I walked onto his kitchen floor that had just had the top flooring removed and it still had staples sticking out.  He saw that I was wearing tennis shoes (they're actually running shoes...and sneakers to you eastern folk) and he told me how I'd be better off stepping on a nail barefoot rather than with those shoes on.  He explained that, when the nail punctures through the rubber of the shoe, it picks up some kind of something (he told me what it was but it was something I had never heard of before) and, if it gets into your bloodstream, it is very dangerous.  So, anyway...that was a long story just to say I hope you're okay.

I went 9 miles, which included 3 x 2 miles at "strength" pace.  They were, actually, all faster than strength pace...and I wasn't even trying all that hard.  I'll probably be injured, soon.

Okay--gotta go,  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, another 5 for me this morning...and still (relatively) pay free.  Ran solo (pre sunrise) about an 8:45 pace.  No one showed for spin tonight (to be fair, they haven't seen me for 3 weeks--I had warned them before I left).  It's ok, with everything else going on I may not be able to teach here anymore since in all likelihood I'll be spending more time in AL.

Tramps, I glad you found it before something worse happened.

Twocat, good news!

Fatozzig, that's horrible.

Have a great everyone!

Mariposai

No dancing with the chickens here,

But dancing bananas for:

Mr Star doing so well

Twocat's recovery

PBJ's posting

and ALL the COOL Mothers in this forum! I hope you had a terrific day yesterday!

As for my wings, I had enjoyed being pampered by my two sons with great food, lots of family time and laughter, plus running did my first back to back running since December. Best of all, KNEE was happy Smile.

Please continue to pray for our county. We are still on state of emergency for flooding until the weekend. Stressful times.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

1.1 miles trying to find a little flatness and not succeeding to much of a degree.  Unless a miracle happens, this is the last day of the streak.  A painful 13 minute mile is not running, in my opinion.  Time to get this thing resolved.

KSA - whether you get to 1,000 this time or not, I'm in way too much awe of you for doing something, several times, I guess, that my lifestyle would never permit (or DW either, or kids needs in those days, etc., winter weather in the northland, etc.) but no need to think that 13m/m indicates walking in any way, shape or form. It's like horse gaits that are based on form, not speed. Thus, check with Jay, but walking, even race-walking, involves heel-striking while running can be either heel-striking ("jogging") but real running is mid-to-forefoot touches.  As I found out when I walked on my heels for 26.2 miles for the first time in 2006 in 6hr/50min and then went back the next year with a sore Achilles and cautiously "ran" the same 26.2 miles all the way in my barefoot mid-foot landing style without any heel strikes at all in 7hr/10min, it's quite possible for a 17m/m pace to be a "run."  In this regard, even though I'm almost twice as slow, my "gait" now still looks the same now as when the longer strides and cadences of the younger years could still churn out sub-four marathons until I was 60.

I just don't want you to abandon your streak because it's too slow for your current definition of running. If you keep on streaking, as I hope and am sure you will do, one-of-these-days, you'll think a 13m/m pace is "fast."  Good luck.

ps - the 35-year daily streaker I met at last month's Yakima River Canyon Marathon, and most of us at this age, wouldn't have made it this far if there was a 13m/m cutoff on allowable paces.  If face, at this age, most all of us would give anything to be able to run at 13m/m pace. Good luck, . . .but don't press it.  You have lots of time for many more thousands.

pss - that'll be 25-cents, please.

Actual running

First real run since 2016!!!! - as enke, paul and mariposai have been saying, sun=s been so sweet in the PNW with temps into the­­­­ 80's just like what I came down here for from the northland that I enjoyed a first five-miler across the floating bridges since I can=t remember when but, better yet, first time of a semblance of actual mid-foot running since stomach issues brought me to a heel-striking, walking halt in 2016.  In fact, for the first time since then, my calves are sore, just like running’s supposed to make ‘em (vs. debilitating quads from heel-striking when you’re not used to 26.2 miles).  Hmmm, in spite of last week=s 75th birthday I kind of dreaded, maybe I=m gunna like this year after all.

tramps/erika/leslie – in spite of studies that purport to show otherwise, with everything else that someone you don’t even know can make go wrong nowadays, gotta enjoy any birthday anybody gets even more than before.

Tom - just stay out of the deep end.

65-min HH 3-2's...........Translation- HeavyHands  3-lb trailboots- 2-lb Handweights= 10-lbs

Eating egg shells - speaking of chickens, as sometimes happens, DW put a hard boiled egg in today=s salad. However, they=re usually peeled so I was thinking the crouton mix had an unusual lot of small crunchies more than usual before I realized it wasn=t.  Hey, if chewing up soft salmon/trout/herring/sardine, etc. bones into little bits instead of spitting them out doesn’t hurt ya, why worry about some egg shells? Maybe I'll hatch out as a chicken instead of a fish in the next go-around.

Foot cuts - Mike/Tramps - I have the same take on shoes, except worse. .

Since I have to watch the ground like I used to watch the scenery, unless you're runnin' in grass where you can't see what's under the grass, it's pretty easy not to step on glass but, over the years, though I haven't stepped on any glass, I've stepped on a thorn in San Diego and two-or-three times on shards of the dreaded mechanically crushed gravel "improvements" to many trails. However, when you do, you know it right away as you leg automatically gives a little and they've been easy to take out before any damage is done.

Tramps--we're doing a remodeling project for a retired doctor.  I walked onto his kitchen floor that had just had the top flooring removed and it still had staples sticking out.  He saw that I was wearing tennis shoes (they're actually running shoes...and sneakers to you eastern folk) and he told me how I'd be better off stepping on a nail barefoot rather than with those shoes on.  He explained that, when the nail punctures through the rubber of the shoe, it picks up some kind of something (he told me what it was but it was something I had never heard of before) and, if it gets into your bloodstream, it is very dangerous.  So, anyway...that was a long story just to say I hope you're okay.

ps - that'll be 25-cents, please.

ps enke – I almost went to UBC too and know I would have loved it.

Beautiful campus pretty much away from all the heroin, etc.

that’s so rampart around Seattle schools.

pps – still haven’t gotten Mr. Bike Eyes to take a short run

up-and-down Cougar Mountain or somewhere yet?

ppps – when the plastic min-visor on bike helmets isn’t big enough, I ALWAYS wear a running cap with the bill sticking out from under the helmet, e.g. blocking the glare from sun rises-and-sets, westbound truck lights blinding ya at night on the floating bridges, etc.

ETA posie - praying for sure your local levy continues to hold through the weekend but, in the meantime, local news reports on this side of the Cascades are already reporting on seepage into basement portending ground-level flooding.  Must be strange to be in the middle of a flood without a cloud in the sky.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Steve - the DNR knows who the boat owner is? Are they trying to do anything to have it removed, or are they just waiting for floods to carry it out??

It will be removed more quickly if there's someone in state to prosecute. More slowly if the cost of removal comes from the general funds. I don't know how many times I've found furniture or bags of household items. I'll dig for information if there's rain in the forecast. There's often a credit/debit card receipt, a kid's homework assignment with (first and last name) in between cushions or utility bill.

Tramps - That sounds unpleasant. Hopefully there's no hobbling.

Tom White - Thanks!!!!! according to the CDC. 2nd hand smoke causes 41,000 deaths per year.

Leslie - It's unfathomable. I'm so sorry to hear this. Sherri is far from a regular person. My heart goes out to her family.

PBJ!!! Yay!!!

Erika - progress is progress not matter how long it takes.

DD#2 invited us over for round two of feed your mom until she and her spouse burst day. I accidently let Honey, the beagle who listens like a beagle out. SIL and I got an hour of tracking and coaxing in. GS#2 (Jude - 3 2/3YO) kept saying, "We'll never see Honey again". GD#2 (Josie - 1 1/2 YO) kept calling.

The tykes wanted to help help with the search and rescue. Jude tracked Honey to the play ground...Imagine that.

SIL and I found her in a field quite away from the playground. It was still a good lead. I flanked the beast and SIL bolted and grabbed.

SteveP