Masters Running

JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge and foot wash RR (Read 300 times)

The JP Morgan Chase CC is run in a few cities around the world. Rochester, NY happens to be one of them. The race had been growing every year, maxing out at 12,000 runners last year. With rising prices and jobs being what they are these days, only around 9,000 started this year, but still a huge race.

The forecast was for rain, heavy at times. Unfortunately, the meteorologists were right on last night. I warmed up by riding my bike 5 miles to Rochester Institute of Technology. My socks were already wet, but I had put more in a zip lock bag. By the time the race started, that didn't matter. My feet were soaked again, Fashion alert: as were my black Nike running shorts with lime green stripes, lime green sleeveless nike shirt, white nike (ironically) dri fit hat, and my white, black, and lime green Asics. If only there were a running red carpet, alas.

As the dignitaries attending the race were being introduced, the rain got even heavier, so I had a final chance to go over my goals. 1. With a road this crowded, stay in as much open space as possible. 2. Try to run as evenly as possible, and 3. finish the 3.5 miles in under 28:00 (8:00 pace). I have been doing more running in the last month or so, but I am still undertrained to try to run a truly hard pace.

The horn sounded and we were off. Surprisingly, I could feel a real difference with 3000 fewer people. I had room to find a good stride, and kept it comfortable. I tried to stay off the slippery painted lines, and stay off the shoulders, which were now almost ankle deep with water. Hit mile mark 1 in 7:30.

Checking my breathing, how my heart rate felt, and how I felt in general, and I still felt good. The first mile is uphill, so I may have gone out too fast. The rest of the race will tell. By now my sleeveless shirt and my shorts are just plastered to my body. My pace, however, still feels about the same, so onward I run. I hit mile mark number 2 in 15:11 so mile 2 was 7:41. Hmmm did I spend too much in mile 1?

Into the third mile, and the volunteers at the water station are laughing as they offer water to runners who are thoroughly drenched. I catch up to 2 guys, one of whom keeps asking his friend with the Garmin how far they had gone. I thought of all the times on here there have been discussions about how prudent that was in a race, but I could see the 3 mile mark just ahead. Running by the banner I checked my watch and it read 22:40, a 7:29 split.

The last half mile is a loop around the area where all the company tents are. I knew I had a little left so I really concentrated on form on the way in. I passed a fair number of people as I kept on striding. I could see the clock as I rounded the corner and pressed on for the finish. When I crossed the line, the time displayed was 26:22. I had run the last 1/2 mile in just over 7:00 pace.

After the race was finished it was back to the tent area to meet up with people from my school district. The tents are in an area of RIT known as the bowl. Usually a great place for corporate tents, except in a downpour where the bowl lived up to its name. JPMC ended up making announcements that the event was finished as the last walkers were crossing. I didn't mind the rain, but it would have been nice to talk to colleagues longer post race. Oh well, maybe next year. back on the bike for a few more wet miles.

Goals were accomplished, and I feel motivated to keep improving my running as the summer goes on. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for reading... Craneium

coastwalker

Hi Craneium,

Great racing in rather damp conditions: Instead of just a foot wash, you got a full body wash! I guess you were in better shape than you thought, from the way you blasted through every mile of the race, and left your goal time in the dust (or perhaps "in the puddles" would be a better metaphor...). Congrats on not letting the weather put a damper on your race, and staying focused on the job at hand.

"Only" 9,000 people in a 3.5 mile race - amazing!

Keep up the good, and fast, running,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Craneium

I'd say you ran that about perfectly. Nice race...great report and I do dislike running in soaked feet.