Masters Running

TGIF December 11 Daily runs and stories (Read 438 times)

((((Mary and mom)))))

Out at 7 am for 11 miles in the howling winds. I expect it to be cold in December so that's not a big deal, but the wind just wouldn't leave me alone today. I kept thinking it would be at my back at some point along the way. Nope. I'll have wings on my feet on a calm day now!

Ouch Holly. Sorry about the fall. It will be great to see you next week!

Gorgeous table Walt. The photos are great---nice wood all over the client's house too.

PBJ! Donic the Donkey...oh my.

JLynne---sweet Will is the best avatar

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika – the placement of it allows me to do push-ups without any pain at all, but lateral raises or shoulder presses tweak it – Trapezius, maybe?

Re TM running – I mostly don’t mind the TM anymore, especially if I have a DVD to watch and/or use my interval programs to break it up a little.  Last year I often divided my LRs, doing part outside and part on the TM, and I foresee doing that again this year. 

Dg – how did your house stay warm?

Aamos – I don’t know how you (and Erika and others) run after work in the dark.  I’m just so mentally unmotivated (and hungry) by the time I get done with work.  If I didn’t do my run first thing in the morning, it wouldn’t get done at all.

CNYrunner - yes - looking forward to seeing you again!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

After posting this morning, my head started feeling better, so I decided to put on the shorts, open the window, put a fan in it to keep me cool and did a slow and steady 4 miles on the treadmill.   It went much better today, so I was pleased with myself once done.

Mom got the packing out of her nose today and the Dr. was real impressed with how nicely it healed.   We go back in 10 days for a more thorough examination to see if there is something further back that may have caused all this to begin with.   In the meantime, he just wants it to heal.   Her BP was still very high though, so we then had to go wait for over an hour to see her primary doctor.    Some adjustments have been made - so now we wait to see how it all works.   She is so happy to be able to breath again.  Big grin

I asked her "did you see the packing when they took it out?"   She said, "no, I had my eyes closed, did you".   "Nope, I had my eyes closed too!"   Big grin    I'm such a wimp - she's lucky I even went into the room with her! 

JLynne - i just LOVE your new avatar!    I have sold two bottles from the website,  and have a lady coming over soon top pick out a few more.  Smile

Walt - that table is lovely!!   My dad was a woodworker too.

Hi everyone else ...... having had the morning off I'm playing catch up at work ......

TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

I think part if it is nature, and part of it is environment. In the winter, early morning here is the coldest, darkest time of the day, and also when the moose are most active. I've gone out early in the morning a couple times in the summer, and that wasn't so bad...but that brings me to the nature part: I am so NOT a morning person. I'm a night owl, and while I'm trying to get to bed earlier the past few months, it just doesn't make that much of a difference. I am so not getting up at 4:30 to run! As it is, I get up at 5:45 and barely am able to get to work 2 hours later.

Besides, I usually find the mid-day workout and/or after work run is a great stress buster and helps really leave the office at the office.

Walt - That table is beautiful!!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Erika - That is definitely one think about, if not in 2010 then in 2011.  If The Hub and I didn't come up for a vacation (which I seriously don't see him saying, "Go to Alaska?  No."), I could probably talk my buddies, Karen and Kate, into doing it.  . . . . will have to speak with coach . . . .

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice table Walt.  Tight fitting joints!

This morning I walked the dogs 2 miles in 23° and my hands were HURTING!!  Nasty cold!

I had the running bug really bad so...

Drove 30 minutes to the head of the newly opened American Tobacco Trail (rails to trails).  Was that wonderful! Got there around 10:30 and it was cloudy 35°.  There are accurate mile markers every half mile.  The trail was tall tree lined with packed sandy soil with a light covering of pine needles.  I ran without the super feet insoles, (just the regular Asics ones) and it felt great on the feet and legs. iPhone playing old Springsteen songs with the iMapMyRun engaged (voice pace updates).  At one mile "she" says I had an overall pace of 10:40,  for mile 2 it was 10:30. Mile 3 felt even better, and so did mile 4.  I decided I had better turn around at mile 5.  By mile 5 she said I was averaging 10:08 overall.  The trail was level and had very gentle long grades 1-3% max.  Just perfect.  Before turning around at
                mile 5, I was thinking, based on having a good day yesterday, that "With a little HOPE, I could run forever!"  (perch quote original). Got back and with the jaunt to the trail head from the car, round trip was 10.3 miles at 10:02 pace. My legs feel better than before the run (except the adductors).  I want to bottle that run, it was just for fun!

Here's the trailhead (nice running surface)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Wow, Perch - sweet trail!  I'm so jealous ;-)

Walt - you do such nice work - beautiful table!  What's the next project, huh, huh???

Mary - so nice to hear good news about your Mom - excellent!!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

wildchild

Carolyn

Deez5boyz - the towel fairy is at your house, too? 

At my house we have a recycling fairy.  When the empty beer bottles, juice cartons, and cereal boxes are left on the kitchen counter, the recycling fairy puts them in the recycling bin that's just around the corner in the pantry. 

speaking of Yaktrax, thanks for the suggestion.   I do have them, but haven't really used them for running.  Used to for walking.   One problem, is the mixed surface... some dry pavement, some snow, some ice, do you think they work under those circumstances?

Yaktrax are OK on dry sections of dirt roads or trails but not so much on dry pavement.

We have  three super pictures today - Baby Will in his Santa hat, Walt's beautiful table, and Perch's beautiful trail. 

PBJ, your spin class was full at 6 am? Wow.  I'm with Erika - I'm NOT a morning person.  No way, no how.  Even 8 am races are a bit of a stretch for me.

Henrun and Marj, enjoy your trip to Florida and good luck in your race!

Aamos, I love your little Mt Rushmore illustration, !

Our cold weather has finally headed out and seems to be hitting the rest of you now.  It was 40° at lunchtime and I had a delightful 5 mile trail run!  I ran in yaktrax on snowy trails but it was so nice not to be wearing hat, gloves, or wind shirt!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

SteveP - does Tag help with the snow shovling too?    Our dogs love to help by caving the side back down onto the driveway and sidewalks. 

TGIF!

He sticks his head in the snow banks and comes out with snow all over his face. Sadly, he may get this from my side of the family.

good luck with your mom Mary.

Holy Smokes Walt! Wow.

Have DH rub your shuolder Holly.

SteveP... speaking of Yaktrax, thanks for the suggestion.   I do have them, but haven't really used them for running.  Used to for walking.   One problem, is the mixed surface... some dry pavement, some snow, some ice, do you think they work under those circumstances?

There's one way to find out.

There's one way to find out.

FIL wound up in the ER and 8 hours later he was admited. They're checking the ticker. I told DW he'd had been checked in a lot sooner if the staff was crazy worried. I told her I'd be up after work. I was two hours away and on my way back. She told me that she was headed home herself....I still haven't seen her...I'm back off to straightening up the house a bit.

Tag did get a work out when I used a laser pointer through the snow covered field behind the house. Some of the drifts are over his head. The kid's all heart.

SteveP

dg.

Karin, that is a lot in howling winds... that howling gets old after a while doesn't it.  Especially when it's in both directions.    pink wings? 

Holly, it was so windy that got out candles & then turned up the heat a little, so there would be a buffer, just in case.  Of course, the candles were out on the dining room table, & I was in a back room w/out a flashlight, but managed to avoid tripping over anything. ;-)  How long was yours out?  

Mary, good job getting on that tm.  did you say you opened the windows???      That's wonderful news about your mom.

Walt, your table is so beautiful.

I am definitely a morning person, but I think I could manage to change that if asked by a moose or 2.  .  I'm increasingly less fond of the dark too, so far I can get at least most of my run in in the daylight, & only be a little late for work.   It helps that I have decided personal grooming is optional.  ( ;-) )

Carolyn, thanks... that's what I thought. 

Eliz, how are you doing today?

Perch, that is the best news!!!   (uh, great quote. Smile ).    and what a beautiful place to run.  I'd drive 30 min. for that anytime.  Very happy to read your post.

Nono, are you stuck behind a piece of wallpaper?

Nancy I hope your presentation went well & that you got home safely.   A crazy busy day for you today!

SR, how is your calf?  what have you decided for this weekend?

Steve,  Smile.   I hope your FIL is ok!

evanflein

I love how Deb summarizes so much and responds to everyone.

Hope your FIL is ok, SteveP. You are a sweetie to go straighten up the house. I know my DH wouldn't think of that...

45 minutes of pool running tonight. Had the pool to myself the last 15-20 minutes. Really! They opened up 4 lanes for aqua aerobics after the swim team was done, but they've canceled that class on Fridays due to low participation. The two guys swimming in the two lap lanes got out a little after 6, and from 6:10 to 6:30 I was in there by myself. Sort of a strange feeling, but very cool! Open swim started up at 7 and most people don't want to be in there doing laps when the aerobics class is going (which wasn't going tonight), so there I was, "running" circles in four lanes' worth of the deep end. Kinda fun.

Mariposai

Deb is so cool. Her postings helps me so much to know what is going on with everyone. Love ya DEB.

I got back home just on time before the snow storm. Wow...what a hectic day, but it was all well worth it. Now I am ready to embrace the weekend and do some holiday decorating around the house.

No running, but lots of eating in the last two days...yes!!!!! I love good food...ya know people in other countries would drool about a McDonald hamburger...we are spoiled indeed.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

i think i`ll have to wear my thongs if I go running with perch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

42.195 km in Imperial Palace Marathon 120

on the way to the bullet train for the big onsens to thesouth and another slow marathon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)