Masters Running

Happy 2013 Equinox (9/22/13), especially erika (Read 41 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

did you hear that someone we know got 20th out of 163 women

in this year's edition of the epic Equinox Marathon?.

Happy Equinox

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Happy Equinox to you as well!

Erika - well done!

10 miles for me this morning in a crisp, brilliant, 50 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

did you hear that someone we know got 20th out of 163 women

in this year's edition of the epic Equinox Marathon?.

Happy Equinox

I hadn't.

Congrats!

And, yes, Happy Equinox everybody.  Cooler temps are always a reason to celebrate.

Be safe. Be kind.

Awesome Erika!! Thanks for the Sunday start Tet!  I ran trails with ultra-Amy yesterday, great fun and she is far more nimble than I am (only one fall for me though and no blood...so all good)

Nice running Holly!

Ran 16.2  solo miles this morning---crisp and beautiful here too after last night's torrential rain---not that I knew, I was snoring with power (or so I am told) at 10:00 pm.

Dave59

Congratulations on some get racing yesterday.

Rest day for me today. Second week in a row that I'm pleased with.

coastwalker

Congrats to someone who ran quite well at Equinox, and Happy Equinox Day all around!

Nice runs, Holly and CNY!

As a friend said, good racing weather is not good spectating weather, and visa versa. At this morning's 4-miler in Kittery, ME, we had good racing weather. It was about 63F with a steady light rain. This is a small race to begin with, and the weather depressed the turnout even more. Still, some friends were there, and it was nice to catch up. My pace ranged from 10:36 to 10:21, and I finished with an average just about in the middle. There were other walkers, but no other racewalkers, so I won the division by default. And, with only one other old fart in the race, I took 2nd overall in my AG. What a hoot.

I got cleaned up as best I could after the race, changed, and went to my next assignment, as a volunteer for the Oysterpalooza, which is a fundraiser for the local Coastal Conservation Association. Lots of oysters, other seafood and beer. Unfortunately, the morning's weather and an early Patriot's game kept attendance down a bit from last year. Too bad because the weather cleared up beautifully, and the Patriots were behind early. At 5:00, I have to go to a reception at the home of a person for whom we installed a rain garden to help him manage stormwater on his property more effectively and beautifully. He's so happy with the result that he wanted to throw a neighborhood party to show it off, and invited us as well. But before that, I'm going to go help DW nail a few more boards into that wood shed

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

WTG Erika.

Nice Jay - Do you happen to own a Superman costume as well.

6.2 relaxing miles this morning. Had a great trip to watch football with my daughter. They grow up way too fast.

Happy Sunday everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Congrats Erika!

I don't pop in here very often but my ears were burning and sure enough, I see that Paul mentioned our race.  I'm still on Cloud 9 from that.  Also, had a blast volunteering at the triathlon yesterday afternoon.  Mostly handed out water and Gatorade.  I have even more admiration for triathletes than before, and yet I have no desire to join their ranks.

10 miles this morning before church.  Not very long, but long enough.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Equinox to all.  An excellent celebration for Erika, too!!

7.25 miles this morning in between rain storms.  Two laps around the lake and the 2nd was a bit faster than the first.  Not a lot, but I'll take it.

Jay--your concept of relaxing doesn't involve a lot of relaxing.  But a very nice race against those that showed up.  You're not scaring all the other NE walkers away from races, are you?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

It's good to hear about pfries and opie getting AG placing and opie with PR.  evan, great job at Equinox.  jay, speedy race walking.

Nice long runs for Holly, CNY, and opie.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 40s and almost calm.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:00 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Yes, happy Equinox indeed. I can definitely tell summer is over because it was 36° here this morning when I left the house. At least it's not snowing! (sorry, Erika)

Some really great racing over the weekend. Congrats to Erika, Opie, Jay and anyone else I failed to mention. Nice to see C-R and Opie pop in. You really should do that more often, ya know.

I pulled an "Enke" on my run this morning. I'm still suffering the after-effects of one of the worst colds I've had in a long time but the weather was too good to pass up a run. I managed 7 miles at a really slow 10:01 pace, but around the 5 mile mark I was running directly into the sun and lost track of my footing at the corner of a busy intersection. I gracefully tripped and slid spread eagle into the intersection, landing on my right knee and left hip/elbow. Gashed up my knee and elbow pretty good and limped/ran the last 2 miles home. Don't think anything is really hurt (except my pride) but I'm really stiff and sore now. And the worst part of it is I put a big hole in my favorite Lulu Lemon running top, my favorite jacket and a pair of brand-new capris Sad Getting old ain't for sissies.

And then the Packers lost...

evanflein

Glad you're mostly ok, Jlynne. And I love that getting old ain't for sissies line. Sure is true.

tomwhite started a Sunday thread with a report of a fall off his bike, but he rode 20 minutes anyway. So I responded there...

Hi tomwhite! Watch out for those bikes, man, they can be dangerous! Glad you showed it who the real boss is...

And you've got more mileage than me, so far at least.

Equinox #9 is in the books! Not a bad time (as LaTortuga shared, 4:16:24), but only 2nd in my age group because some gal came up from Anchorage to spoil my placing. (heh, I'm sure that's the only reason she did it...) But she ran 4:07:30 and there's no chance I'd have done that, so it's not like I can berate myself for being lazy. I did as well as I could've for the day given the conditions on the out-and-back (packed snow and icy spots) and on the return trip where I like to go really fast. Didn't want to risk a fall in shoes with worn tread so just kept it steady and relaxed. Still got some pretty bad cramps in mile 20 and 21, but DH was there with my Nuun and that seemed to really help. Finished pretty strong, so I'm good with it.

This was my only less-than-first-place age group finish in our local series, just like last year. So hard to get a "perfect score" when you don't know who is going to show up!

Today will be house and yard work. Gotta finish pulling stuff out of the garden and putting hoses away. It's lightly snowing right now, but nothing that'll stick around long (I hope).

Carolyn, my Garmin does that every now and then. I'm having enough little niggly problems with it that I'm starting to look at replacing it. I will check out UnionBlue's thread on Garmins... (mine is three years old now, I think).

So yes, thanks for the kudos. I ran 4:11 last year as a course PR and was hoping to improve on that, but the weather kind of handed me a card I couldn't play for a PR, so did what I could.

Tet reported on the preliminary results for finishers before a certain cut off time to get the results booklet to the printers (release last night at 7:30 at the awards banquet). Current results show 216 women finished the race by the official cutoff. Not sure how many in my age group as that's still preliminary at 14.

Henrun

Happy Eqinox- enjoying the beautiful weather (post rain). I'm continuing to progress-walked 3 miles this morning. This afternoon Marj got me on a bike (first time in months) and we pedaled a few miles along the Charles.

Congrats Erika. JLynne, you're a trooper!

...yeah,

I forgot it was still 9-22......................mus'ta hit my head harder than I thought.......

apparently I thought it was October.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....