Masters Running

Monday Cold and Snowy Runs (Read 378 times)

dg.

Mary, that does sound scary.   tough on both of you.   poor things.  ((()))

Holly, you too.   First off, you earned a rest day, sheesh.  but what a bummer you had to have a post put in again, and all.  .  and then pay for the pain.   I'm so sorry!

evanflein

Mary, hugs to you and your mom! That sounds like quite the ordeal and I hope she's better soon. Stopping the plavix sounds like a necessary thing but I hope it doesn't lead to other consequences. Hang in there!

Holly, that sucks. I hate dental problems. I had such good teeth for so long, but then in my 40s things seemed to start falling apart. Lots of cracks leading to lots of crowns and now a root canal to boot. Keep hoping it's done, but now I've got a temporary on a piece that broke off under an onlay... Will need a full crown on that one but hoping to make it to next plan year (July 1...not likely).

Jlynne, the santa suit for DH sounds like the perfect compromise! Share pictures, please! Starting to miss the little guy.

Hey Sue, nice running on the 'mill. I get called all kinds of crazy for anything over 15....

Talented kids? We signed both our kids up for piano lessons in grade school. DS1 did ok, but hated to practice, didn't like recitals and just never showed any interest. I think DS2 was too young and didn't have the best teacher, he didn't make if far at all. But they're both great athletes in ways that just came out of play. DS1 is an excellent runner by nature, but doesn't have any interest in practicing so he really doesn't take advantage of it. His natural speed helps him in soccer, and he does XC in the fall just for something to do. DS2 just kept getting better and better at soccer and loves everything about it.

I don't think my foot has a stress fracture. All the "tests" I've found don't cause any real problem. I think it's just inflammation and irritation that needs to settle down. I think my new shoes at work have aggravated it, but not sure of the cause. Oh well, I'm not doing anything anytime soon anyway so can give it time. I'll be at the pool tonight, maybe the gym at lunch.

wildchild

Carolyn

Today's daily title (cold and snowy) about sums it up here, but the "runs" part, not so much, due to the aforementioned cold and snow.  I decided a rest day was in order.  It's supposed to be cold again tomorrow but warm up later in the week (at least above single digits).   This weather is really taxing my running mojo.

Congrats to all of you who headed out and braved the cold. 

(((((Hugs to Mary and Mary's Mom)))))

Leslie, how did the 50K go yesterday?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary.. hang in there!

Erika.. if ain't one thing its another eh?

Cold but not snowy.  Today was a bunch of strengthening and a 4 mile "walk" with Sadie at 12:40 pace (ok so it was 50/50 fast walk/slow jog.. pain free but clumsy). Why Sadie only?  Tory has some stomach issues and got me up every hour last night to be let out into the back yard. I think too many chewies (rawhides).So I let him rest even though he wanted to come.  Felt wierd with one dog.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hello all,

I got out for a somewhat icy and cold run this morning at 5:15 am----6 miles and felt good even after the weekend's racing and long running. The black ice was tricky in patches, but I wore my winter sneakers with better gription. Then it was into the car for a day of work meetings near Framingham.

Hi JLynne! How great that you were with Will and I am glad he's doing well.

Breger---oh to have a good singing voice. I admire anyone who can sing well and kids with natural vocal talent give me the chills (in a good way) when I listen to them. I was listening to the Spelman College and Morehouse College gospel choirs while running and the voices are tremendous---in addition to the deeply moving words of each spiritual they chose. I would love to hear you sing!

(((((hopeful and mom))))))

Amy--Hot Chocolate was Saturday and it was amazing---raised $90,000 for Safe Passage. The mayor and race namesake (okay you wise guys, it's the Mayor Higgins Hot Chocolate 5k race) couldn't be there though as her 86 year-old mother passed away late last week and she is with her family at the funeral. Her advocacy turned this small town race into a major event. 

They just posted the age graded and chip time results. Turns out I ran a 21:11and placed 150 overall and when age graded I placed 39th. Teresa, you'll see that Eric Nedeau won this and in the age graded version, 55 year-old Sydney Letendre (woman) is the winner. Fun stuff. My friend Dr. J registered for this as "Jingle Bells" and beat her 16 year-old daughter with the age grading. Anyway.....some day you need to come visit your old stomping grounds Amy and run this with me! I am racing and running without a watch and I LOVE it!

http://www.velocityresults.net/results/244/mayor-higgins-hot-chocolate-run-for-safe-passage-northampton-ma

Brag away Woods Lady! You are supposed to do that.

((((Holly's teeth)))))

(((((Erika's painful arch)))))

See y'all later in the week---more days of work travel ahead and right up to 12/24

fatozzig? You out there? How was the race?!

SteveP

SteveP, Tag is a good crime fighter but maybe that lady who made the crime fighting outfits for the Incredibles was right about no capes. They just get in the way.

I don't understand. I mean, this time of year, the capes on MUGs can freeze to your cheeks, but other than that, capes are just fine.

DG:

Yeah Jlynne!!!! Gotta love that Will.

If you can uplaod Bill, that would be greta.

(((((MaryHopeful))))). We're pretty darn fond of your here.

Yeah Aamos, our boxer/lab has a stick or ball when we're not running.

Proud moms parents are kewl

Holly, if you're true to your teeth, they won't be false to you.

DW chased us out the door as soon as I got home. Gotta love her. As it was already getting dark, I didn't dig out our vests. We drove to a very broad trail....The one where I got poison ivy last summer. We did 2.5 dark snowy trail miles. It's been more than 10 years since I've done that and it was really nice. The only noise was Tag's tags making a jingle bells sound. There was one lone star shining in an otherwise dark and cloudy sky. So I decided to count my blessings.

SteveP

dg.

SteveP, your run sounds lovely.  and Sadie & I thank you for the picture.   Look at him smile!  Smile

Karin, thanks for the Hot Chocolate update!  I was just catching up on Saturday, so perfect timing.  WTG!     I give you (& everyone else) a lot of credit for getting out there when it's icy.  haven't quite decided how I'm going to handle that this year.. I don't want to risk another fall, but really don't want to go inside.  (at least to run ;-) ) .   what sneakers do you have with better gription? -)

Perch, good luck with your knee!!  I was just reading your Saturday post too.  Which, I guess, makes sense.  Anyway...  I'm glad your jogging was pain free & that the rest has helped.  Could you tell me more about the quad exercises you're doing?  Both of my knees are bothering me, & I think I need to strengthen my quads but am not sure of the best way.  I've been told by a couple of people that knee extensions w/weight, can be bad depending on how they're done.  I found a couple of really good articles about it, and about open/closed chain exercises in general.  One of the most interesting aspects had to do with the order of quad firing.  Anyway... are you doing those, or squats, or something else?  Interesting it's from straight to almost straight. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, Karin, congrats on the race!  Thanks for telling me about Coach Nedeau.  15:32 chip time!!  Wow, even DS was impressed.  He said, "He's a legitimate runner!"  LOL.  Cool that Safe Passage benefited from the race - the young woman who started it went to DS's high school, and I run by their office occasionally.  What a wonderful organization!
                    Hey, everybody!  Just dropping by for a sec to say hi as I try valiantly to stay sane during Concert-mania season.  I'm just about keeping my head above water with all of the school, community, and church gigs I have this year.  The community choir is singing THREE weekends in a row - what was I thinking?  My first school concerts are tomorrow - yikes!

The good news is that I'm staying on track with running, even if I'm knee-deep in dirty laundry and have only cooked about one meal in the last week.  I ran 4 miles tonight after yesterday's 7.2-mile long run.  I know, I know, take it easy, rest after a long run, and all that.  I went very s-l-o-w-l-y and felt greta the whole way.  I stretched diligently after I got in and I won't run again until Thursday at the earliest, so I think I'll be fine.  I'm stressing so much about not staying on track with this marathon plan, that it was actually more restful to run today, if that makes any sense at all.  Besides, the Christmas lights in my neighborhood are really starting to become spectacular.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm scanning the dailies frequently, and even though I probably won't post regularly until about this time next week, all of you are in my thoughts.  

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Maniac 505

Erica,  I really hope your foot does do OK.  I am working this week and not running much and I really feel like a wimp cause our weather is cold for Seattle,  but nothing like most of the country

Amy,  RE: your question,  I don't have any answers. but all parents think their kids are REALLY talented.  Mine made me play an accordion for a few years because they thought I was talented (I wasn't)

Dave

Mariposai

4 easy miles this afternoon when the sun was shinning and it wasn't that cold. After running I went shopping for little this and that to send to my son in Poland.

butterfly hugs to Hopeful and her mom.

butterfly hugs also to all those who are buried in work/class or family activities.

where is ribs????

hi aamos

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Deb, There's Yak Trax and other items that simply slip over your shoes. I've also put 3/8 hex head screws in old running shoes and that's worked well.

SteveP