Masters Running

3.27.13 - Wednesday Daily (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Congrats on the well-deserved recognition and bonus, Holly! However big the check was, I'm sure it wasn't enough for all that you do, but it is still nice to be recognized for going above and beyond.

Tammy, I'll bet your homemade pasta is fantastic!! But no wine?? Shocked

I'm sorry to learn of Bruce's wife's passing, Mike. Funny story about leaving Eric behind...

It seems like there were a lot of easy and/or recovery runs yesterday. I'm glad everyone seems to be listening to their bodies and not pushing when they shouldn't.

Despite my best efforts to keep things moving along, we didn't get out of our meeting (Conservation Commission) till after 10 last night. We started by getting pushed out of our regular & reserved conference room by another committee, and had to set up shop in the lobby of Town Hall. I was furious, and still am, and will be having a conversation with some folks at Town Hall about that this morning. However, after that, the meeting went relatively smoothly, but we had a lot of ground to cover. Among other things, I got elected to my 4th year as chairman - what were they thinking??? So I got home late + didn't sleep well = slept a little late (again!) this morning, and skipped my workout op. So it goes.

Have a greta humpday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

We came back from a long bus ride home from NYC and were able to get a short run in yesterday afternoon. In Brooklyn (where we went to BIL's seder-22 people at the table) we had our traditional run over the Brooklyn Bridge Mon. morning. At the seder I met an attorney from Manhattan-a friend of my BIL-who was one year older than myself. Somehow (!) the conversation got around to running. Turns out that he was an elite collegiate runner in his youth. He started out as a race walker and eventually became a middle distance runner. He was a rabbit for Wes Santee who was attempting to break the 4 minute mile after Bannister did it. The closest Santee came was 4:00:5. Eventually he was banned from amateur racing by the AAU for accepting money although he did compete in the '55 Olympics. The gentleman I talked to became a professional bike rider but physical problems ensued and he eventually gave up both running and cycling.

You never know what talking about running will lead you to.

Morning, Jay and Henry!

Nice recognition, Holly.  I keep an "atta girl" file on my 'pooter for all of the nice things people say and do for me.  Helps to look thru it on bad days.

Everyone else has said it all, Mike.  I think Eric is lucky to have you for a dad.

2 miles on the TM this morning, with only one walk break, which I didn't really feel I needed.  Guess I'm ready to head to the next level.

Oh boy, oh boy!!!!

eta...where the heck is TW these days?  Doesn't he know he's our designated inspirer!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow, henrun, me too. Somehow, one the permanent memories of my youthful days was 5/6/54 when Roger Bannister won the well-publicized race (with John Landry and Wes Santee as a dark horse) to break the four minute mile. Then I got to hear a lot more about it when I worked for an another one of Santeeā€™s rabbits in the sixties. My friend ran his first marathon in 1995 in 3:08.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps - before one of the other ancient ones<(ribs>>> sets the record straight from his memory bank too, though Santee (1932-2010) captured the silver medal at the 1955 Pan American Games in Mexico, he was barred from the 1956 Melbourne Olympics metric mile (won by John Landry) for allegedly receiving more than the $15/day support allowed by the AAU in those days or something. In fact, I bet ribs either ran with him too or knew him. Smile</(ribs>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Boy, quiet day today.

Holly-It may sound a little trite, but the thought DOES count.  'Cause for anyone as dedicated as you, it's VERY unlikely that the actual money catches up with the amount of time you've given.  I know at my old place I was there 22 years and I think there were maybe 2 bonuses and not a lot of other "atta boys", either.  Where I am now, there is a great amount of recognition (and pretty decent bonuses, too) Big grin  BIG difference.  Good for you (and your boss, I guess)

6.5 miles this morning.  I'm entering sort of virgin territory now.  Not long ago, that was a nice long run--now it's going to be a short mid-week long.  It may take a little while to adjust to the earlier time, not to mention the extra distance.  But it was nice to start out with the full moon and see the sunrise. (I think someone else mentioned that yesterday)

Jay--good thing you were there, they might have elected you for even longer.  ConCom doesn't have enough pull in your town?  Don't they know who you are?

Heme--glad you're making progress.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

That's great Tet, to have that history.  You have some memory.  For those of you interested in reading a great book, try Neal Bascomb's "The Perfect Mile", a nonfiction account of Bannister and his two rivals and friends.  I made friends with Bascomb on line although we have never met. I wrote him an out of the blue fan letter and we have corresponded from time to time about his books, running and some other stuff. He's a very good writer.

I'm in Pittsburgh as I said the other day, and this morning I did a 2 mile run, circling the block of the hotel I'm staying at, the William Penn.  Tet, Fred Waring and his orchestra used to play here, and the hotel still maintains the same old-fashioned customs and manners from those times.  Spareribs

(Oh, I meant to add who my favorite person I'm looking forward to seeing at the party.  Let's see, was it Robin?  PBJ?  Not sure. Oh, I remember!  It's "Improves With Age"!  Yeah, that's the guy.)

New skirt in town

I'm starting to cut back a bit on my mileage this week, but I'm still reallllly tired.  It was hard to get up this morning, but I managed to get it done.  I don't have any aches or pains, though, which is shocking (and a bit unusual and therefore scary) for me at this point.

I'm so looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible on April 14!!!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Evenin' everyone!

Jay, I am always impressed at how involved you are within your community.  Kudos!

Not much to say, busy last week of the month as usual.  DD's softball practice got cancelled again because of cold and wet fields.  Saturday's practice should be nice, as temps in the 50's are forecast.  I am really looking forward to the warm up.

My unexpected bonus came just in time to pay for a refurbished laptop my nephew found at his auction site.  This little thing is better than my desktop computer, and only $280 total!  (Shhh, don't tell DS that the graphics are better, or he may think about gaming possibilities....)

DS has been running on the TM lately, all on his own, and tonight ran 10 miles for the first time!

6.5 easy-paced miles on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hello everyone! Been having a tough time keeping up with this place, been busy with Passover and such. But I did get out for my track workout today, my last week of 800m repeats. Got 7 of them done: 3:49.0, 3:48.3, 3:52.3, 3:49.9, 3:48.8, 3:50.8, 3:50.6. With the two mile warmup, 600m floating recoveries and about a mile cooldown, that gave me just a little over 9 miles for the day. My Garmin lost contact with the satellite during my 6th repeat, but the lap timer kept going, so it was like I was running "old school" on the track with just a stop watch. Eventually it reconnected, only lost about two-tenths of a mile in the distance. Amazing how dependent we've all gotten on technology, eh?

Anyway, sorry for no shout-outs, I'm so terribly behind... but I'm looking forward to meeting several of you in Boston in a few short weeks!

C-R

Wow. Busy busy busy in here.

That is so cool hen. I read the book "The Perfect Mile" which was about the race to break 4 and it was such a great description of Bannister, Landry and Santee. I might have to re-read it.

Holly - so very cool of your boss.

Jay - that was uncool to squat on your space. I say challenge them to a racewalk. Winner gets the room in perpetuity and loser has to clean the space. That'll teach 'em.

Doubled up today. One easy and intervals this evening. Legs are starting to come back.

Well off to tend to the kids and do some evening work.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  No run, today--just weights, planks, and burpees.

I really just popped in here to show off my youngest granddaughters...they're 6 months old, today...

wildchild

Carolyn

Sweet picture, Mike!

Holly, congrats on a well-deserved bonus and thank-you from your boss!  Was it prompted by the other woman leaving, and he was worried you might do the same?  Maybe you should make him worry more!  Wink

I've been at my current job for 5 years, and have never gotten a raise, but get bonuses twice a year.  My boss says he's not sure in this economy if he can afford raises, but when he has extra money he gives bonuses instead.   Right now things are really slow, and even though I'm working part time, I can't even keep busy for the 24 hrs/wk I'm working.  I finally stopped procrastinating and sent a resume today to a competitor.

I'm really looking forward to my 50k on Saturday!  Here's a picture the RD posted on FB of marking the course.  This just looks amazing!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

What cuties, Mike!!

Carolyn - What's the name of the race?

I have no idea what else is going on in here, but with regard to Holly (1) her son works hard every day at looking fantastic, and (2) she got well-deserved bonus.  Sweet!!

I've been running - did 4 EZ on Tuesday and 5 today.  Kind of screwed myself up not running Monday, but such is life.  I'll make it through. Smile

CATS!  AAAAARRGGGHHH!!!  We have one that sprays and I am having the hardest time keeping it under control.  There's a product called "Feliway" that I know works well, but it's expensive and I'd need a frigging fire hose to spray my house.  It's a wives tail that male cats don't spray if they're neutered.  I won't know he's sprayed an area, then I'll see one of the other cats sniffing or I'll finally catch a whiff of it.  I'm about the kill the little turd. Evil

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

DS has been running on the TM lately, all on his own, and tonight ran 10 miles for the first time! 

Oh my, that is HUGE!!!  For a teenager and all....   I hope he feels great about that accomplishment.

Henry, very interesting conversation.

Mike, nothing like bald laughing babies to cheer you up!  Told my kids, 10 and 12 to hurry up and get married and have kids so I can have some cute grandkids myself......wait, getting a bit ahead of myself again...

fatozzig, one of our neutered cats used to do that when he was pissed (literally) off at us.  Usually on the bed.

Got home a bit early today (4pm, which used to be my normal time, but somehow isn't anymore) so went for a run in the 56F!!! weather (if I don't run in this weather, I will hate myself when it gets cold again).  The light rain didn't matter, heck not when it is 56F!!!.  First shorts (scary white legs) and T-shirt (is my flabby gut showing?) run of the year.  Don't know why (big lunch probably), but I felt sluggish most of the way (must lose the flabby gut).  Did 1 x 800m, at  my old 10K pace (this used to be easy!).  Ugh, wasn't pretty.

Sorry, my inner voice kept interjecting there.

Enjoy the gift!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."