Masters Running

Big Fish Duathlon RR (Read 362 times)

Event: Big Fish Lake Triathlon/Duathlon (5KR/20KB/5KR)

Fashion: Sugoi Tri Shorts, Asics top, Brooks Addiction 8 & Shimano shoes

Equipment: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 bike

(Sorry, but I have no idea why the editor won't take my paragraph breaks!)

I was a bit nervous about this event since I had been urged into it by people that I occasionally train with, many of whom are experienced Boston, Ironman, and regular triathlon veterans. I had never done anything like this – especially the biking part – so decided to just approach it as a “fun” activity, hoping only for better than last place.

When I arrived, I could see a big difference between these events and the road races we’re all used to: almost everyone was a serious competitor. No “fun runners” here! There was also a lot to learn about preparation. After all, in a road race all you need to do is attach your bib and chip and find the starting line. Here there was all the prepping of the transition area and having to scout out the various entrances and exits to get on and off the running and biking courses.

I watched the first wave of swimmers start off, then walked over to the starting line for the duathlon, scheduled for a slightly later start. I was surprised to see CassadAAmius himself greeting me from the sidelines. My Internet had been down since Friday night, so I wasn’t aware that he was going to be there to do a time trial on the biking course.

The first 5K went pretty well, as much of it was on a shady dirt road. I didn’t want to run it like I would a 5K event, since that would definitely burn me out, so tried to go at more like a 10K pace or slower. Right away, though, the heat was noticeable and I was glad I was carrying my own water bottle. After all, the sun is never as direct as it is at the solstice.

I took my time in the transition area and found that the first mile or so on the bike was very refreshing as it wicked away all the sweat from the run. The course is an out and back on an asphalt county two-laner, with a noticeable downgrade much of the way to the turnaround – meaning uphill on the way back. The road wasn’t closed to traffic, but the county sheriffs were on duty at intersections and there were few cars that passed.

I had never done an actual “race” on a bike and was unsure whether to really burn it on the easy section or to save something for the hills at the end. By the time I got to the turnaround and headed the other way, I realized I had lost a lot of steam. The final couple of hills were brutal and I was just about down to my granny gear to crest them, but at least the last mile into the park is a nice gentle downgrade that let my legs recover a bit before the next transition.

(I need to work on tanning my arms in advance next time!)

Now I know why they call a bike and run workout a “brick” – that’s exactly what my legs felt like as I tried to run my bike through the transition area. By necessity I took a while to change back into my running shoes, then plodded back onto the course. By this time it had warmed up a bunch and the sun had risen to the point where a lot of the shade was gone. I really struggled on this one and did a little walking on the upgrades. But finally I got to the finish line with a <st1:time>1:51:13</st1:time> result (including transitions). Dave was there and we got this photo on his iPhone:

My final result was 2nd in my AG, but I’m afraid there were only two of us. The winner is sponsored by a local bike shop, and in fact my total running time was better than his; he beat me strictly on the bicycling. I was also 35 of 45 of men overall, so finished ahead of a number of youngsters. A bunch of the other people that I knew there came away with similar awards, including the overall women’s Olympic-distance tri title. Here’s a good shot of most of us, who range in age from 45 to 67 (I'm 3rd from right in the back row):

So will I ever do another? As of Saturday I was saying this would be a one-and-done, but now I’m not so sure. I can at least put this on my schedule again since I’m familiar with the course and can do a better job with my strategy next time. Any of you cyclists out there who haven’t tried this yet – it’s not as complicated as it looks and you really should give it a go! 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nicely done Doug!    Retirement is agreeing with you.   I think it is great that you gave this race a go, and I'm sure you'll be doing another one sooner rather than later!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

No one and done Roch......Ya gotta do another !

We have a great little Duathlon here in the fall......two actually. One is a 2 / 17/ 2 the other is a 5k / 40k.....both very well organized but also very light hearted......"just for fun" kinda events.

Anyway........Nice report.  5 / 20 / 5.......That can be a tough one to manage but sounds like you did great !

Slo, my mistake was in treating this as three separate races instead of pacing myself over the entire event. I was thinking "run a 5K"; then "ride 12.4 miles"; etc. I think that caused me to overdo the first two legs and not think about what I'd have left for the finale.

If I'd have been fresher, I could have finished a lot stronger (probably still wouldn't have caught the other guy in my AG, though).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice Job Doug,

I see this race advertised every year and have always thought it would be a great way to try a tri  or Duathlon. I just can't find the time to train on another disipline maybe after I retire like you.

Sounds like you had lots of fun.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

SteveP

Yeah, they're a lot of work!

Dude! That's quite an accomplishment.

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi Doug,

Great job on your first "du!" Congratulations on not only surviving the 'brick,' but on leaving some youngsters in your dust!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

......w0w.....

....VERY Impressive roch//..........every time I ever went from Biking to Running I fell straight on my face....

...............you are a very co-ordinated racer..

nice job.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Well it sounds like "just for fun" got you beating 10 other competitors, on your first Du.  Congratulations!!  It would take a lot of time to train properly for a du or tri, and I am glad you gave it a shot.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

It's always a boost when you beat some youngsters, Doug.  Congrats on trying something new and doing well at it. 

TomS

Rochrunner- Great job on your initial duathlon! I found out when I did my first tri that in hindsight I should have practiced all three on the same day, at least once in my prep. My third leg was kayaking and my hands were going numb after being on the bike. Experience is the ultimate teacher. I hope you do another.

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - great job!  I have so much admiration for you for even attempting something like this - those duathlons and triathlons seem pretty daunting to me - and yet you carried if off with style, and beat out a nice chunk of the crowd.  2nd AG is still 2nd AG, even when there are only two of you.  Well done!  And great pics!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Rochrunner---I read your report awhile ago and then completely forgot to post a response. Oops. I must have been grinning too much and spaced. Anyway, it's been great fun to read of your training as you bike more and get stronger and stronger there and with the running too.

Well done and very impressive. 

The tan lines are the mark of a dedicated athlete and kinda cute too!

Bravo and Encore!

(Thanks for the report and great photos too!)