Masters Running

Master Runners Introductions! (Read 228 times)

TammyinGP

Hey Meg! Nice to see you here!

Tammy

sluggo

John

Hello all.

It looks like the Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older is dead and, at Quickadder's suggestion, I joined your group. Some of you are in my "In Your Pace" 2019 in 2019 team!

I little about me. I am 68, live in Salem, MA (near Boston) and I am lucky that I can tell people that I am a runner without fibbing too much.

John
      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

spacityrunner

Hello all.

It looks like the Senior Grand Masters-60 and Older is dead and, at Quickadder's suggestion, I joined your group. Some of you are in my "In Your Pace" 2019 in 2019 team!

I little about me. I am 68, live in Salem, MA (near Boston) and I am lucky that I can tell people that I am a runner without fibbing too much.

Hi Sluggo!!!!  Welcome to the Masters Running forum.  Jump right in and post your comings and goings in our daily threads.  Glad to have you around!

Trails Rock!

TammyinGP

hey Sluggo! Nice to have you here.  I recognize your name from the past few seasons of the running game.  Jump into our dailies. That's where most of the chatter takes place, but can be overwhelming for newbies who don't know everyone but don't feel like you need to keep track of everything going on. heck it's overwhelming for me and I've been posting with this group for almost 13 yrs now!

Tammy

Joe618

Sluggo/John, welcome!  Happy to have you!   Jump into the Daily Threads whenever you feel like it!! 

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome, Sluggo.  Always nice to add another MA participant.  I'm a little south of you  in Wakefield.  Did your Wicked Frosty Four (or something like that) on NYD a few years back

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

sluggo

John

Welcome, Sluggo.  Always nice to add another MA participant.  I'm a little south of you  in Wakefield.  Did your Wicked Frosty Four (or something like that) on NYD a few years back

Hi stumpy,

I am happy to see a local in this group. I ran the Run for All Ages 5K around Lake Quannapowitt last Nov. All I can say is, "RAIN!"

I am a member of the Wicked Running Club that hosts the Frosty Four and I volunteered on this race a couple of times. I've never run it - who wants to get up early for a race on Jan 1? I probably won't run it anytime soon either. I can't run 4 mi in one whack...

And everyone else - thanks for the warm welcomes.

Are some of you in the 60/65+ age range? My legs changed a lot since I passed 57.

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Joe618

Yes, Sluggo, I'm pushing hard on 66 now. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

spacityrunner

sluggo there are lots of us in that age group. jump on in the dailies and join the madness 

Trails Rock!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi stumpy,

I am happy to see a local in this group. I ran the Run for All Ages 5K around Lake Quannapowitt last Nov. All I can say is, "RAIN!"

I am a member of the Wicked Running Club that hosts the Frosty Four and I volunteered on this race a couple of times. I've never run it - who wants to get up early for a race on Jan 1? I probably won't run it anytime soon either. I can't run 4 mi in one whack...

And everyone else - thanks for the warm welcomes.

Are some of you in the 60/65+ age range? My legs changed a lot since I passed 57.

yep, lots of us.  And somehow more keeping joining that group.  We actually have a pretty good Boston/NH based RA presence.  In fact, Henry and Marj are members of the 65+ club that does RFAA. Plus a few others that may not post regularly, but are always part of out of town visitor gatherings. I studiously avoid running that race, just because there are SO many fast old people there.  That, and I'm not fond of paying to run around the lake I usually do for free

the year I did your race, it was about 40° and a beautiful sunny day--think it ended up being my second fastest race ever, so always think fondly of it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

10:48 5K!

Here's something fun:

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/great-britain/5k-world-record-smashed/29746

We used to do workouts called "beat the WR" that were a series of 400m repetitions and long recovery intervals. I could beat 800m-5k, but the 5k was brutal because of how many reps (13). Never attempted the 10k, but some 20x400m sessions averaged :61-:62. (5 miles, one lap at a time, one lap rest, so 10 mile workout)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

mmesford

Hi everyone. I’m a 66 yo who came to running late in life. I’ve been running about ten years now and I’ve run a number of races from 1 mile to half marathon. I’ve been a bit obsessed with breaking two hours for the half but I’ve never gotten closer than 2:06. I think I’m finally getting a better sense of how to train but I feel like I’m racing the calendar as much as the clock. At what point does all the  training in the world fail to compensate for advancing age? Or, more to the point of my experience, at what point can you no longer train as hard as you would like? My latest strategy is to stretch my week out to ten days to allow more rest. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TammyinGP

Hi and Welcome! Those are good questions and I would suggest jumping into our daily thread and asking the questions. That thread is viewed by everyone and you'll likely get multiple responses and opinions.  It's nice to have you here!

Tammy

Hi everyone. I’m a 66 yo who came to running late in life. I’ve been running about ten years now and I’ve run a number of races from 1 mile to half marathon. I’ve been a bit obsessed with breaking two hours for the half but I’ve never gotten closer than 2:06. I think I’m finally getting a better sense of how to train but I feel like I’m racing the calendar as much as the clock. At what point does all the  training in the world fail to compensate for advancing age? Or, more to the point of my experience, at what point can you no longer train as hard as you would like? My latest strategy is to stretch my week out to ten days to allow more rest. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi, Mmesford!  Stop in and say "Hi" in the dailies once in awhile.  Every day there seems to be a new and unexpected topic, so never a dull moment. 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MurrayM

Hi there!

New here...first post...new(ish) to running...60 years young...from north coast British Columbia, Canada.

I toyed with running a few times over the years but had to stop because a foot or ankle would start to hurt, and my job as a letter carrier came first. Never went over 5K.

Now older, wiser, took early retirement last November, and now up to 12K on my long run, adding 10% per week. Doing tempo runs and small hill repeats on the other two days. So far no pains that lasted more than a day, and no pains which have repeated. Ran a solo 5K with some small hills a couple days ago and squeaked it in under 25 minutes, so now have a benchmark to build from.

What got me started was a goal of running from our town to the top of a local mountain and back...about 22K and 4,500' of elevation gain all told. Funny thing is, the longer my long runs get, it makes me wonder...how far can I actually run????

This seems a nice, friendly, inclusive place. Looking forward to meeting you all and sharing in our running journeys!