Masters Running

POLICE! - Monday, 5/10/22 (Read 41 times)

BTY

Hi Masters

I got back in the water for my first early AM workout since April 16.  I was getting sick and tired of messing around without a car, trying to figure out how to get over to the pool and back.  Ferget it.

Since I was lazy for so long, I only swam what would normally be the warmup this morning.  300 yards of freestyle, 200 yards of flutter kick with a kick board, 2 x 100 yard backstroke and 2 x 100 yard IM, then 100 yards of backstroke (kick only).

The last instructor at the Masters Swimming workouts told me I should really work on breathing from both sides (not at the same time :-) ) during the freestyle, so breathe to the left, take 3 strokes and breathe to the right, repeat.   I was able, for the most part, to get my head far enough out of the water when breathing to the right, to breathe, but I honestly didn't breathe at all most of the time when I was trying it.  Just can't make myself breathe that way.  But it'll come eventually.

During all of the resting period since mid April, I've been doing a lot of walking.  Walking with my wife in the evenings before bed, and walking with co-workers on my lunch break (2 miles in 30 minutes) and 1 or 2 coffee breaks per day (we'll say 1 mile in 15 minutes or so, x1 or 2).  So I'm not completely out of condition but 1000 yards was definitely enough this morning.  Just about 28 minutes.   It was nice to just take my time getting to work afterward.

Brian

dnaff

Shorts related - my favorite pair came from Dick's Sporting Goods.  Some no-name brand in navy blue.  Mens' size small.  I've had them forever, at least 10 years, and they were so much less expensive than women's brands....

In fact, I ran in them today for my first shorts run of the season.  It's about 30 degrees warmer than it has been lately so I took it nice and easy.  Took a bottle of water along, and knocked of 2.5 with just a little walking mixed in.   A good run.

Good to see you, BTY!  Yeah- I always found that swimming conditioning is very different from running, walking etc, but you have such a great base that you will be back up to high yardage quickly.  Bilateral breathing is hard!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

8.1 miles on the local trails for me. Only a few folks out today since it was sort of cold, blustery and spittle like rain at times.

and I wore my shorts. the black ones.

Tammy

MurrayM

For those following along with todays boating trip...sedge grasses, yes...grizzly, yes...but the wind was blowing 20 knots ashore and we barely squeezed between a log boom and an estuary spit to get close. There was no room to anchor in there with a falling tide, so my wife grabbed a couple distance shots from the aft deck and then we skeddaddled outta there!

Of course the bear had to be in the worst spot in the whole bay for our boat 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Murray - fantastic. Good thing hungry bears don . . .'t,. . . swi . . m, . . . whoops, . . . no wonder you skeddattled.

BTY / KSA - fortunately, I was so slow that it was it was easy to do but bilateral breathing was a must for me out in the middle of some lake pretty much on my own to help keep track of where I was by checking the trees, houses, boats, etc. on both sides, . . . until my goggles fogged up and I couldn't see anyway

Tammy - I've seen rain like spittle during windy races but never the other way. Better not run behind you. Oh, that's okay. I'll be way back far enough. Whew.

ps Jay - mariposai speaking of Bloomsday, probably yes if you were into running then because of his fourth place Olympic Marathon in Montreal 1976 (that would have been bronze if they'd've had drug testing for the East German gold, . . .  that silver Frank Shorter should've gotten) but have you ever heard of Don Kardong?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Tetsujin209 - I'm glad you are not posting from jail.  I've been stopped a number of times in Dad's area for the same reason.

For some reason, most companies these days think all women who run are around 100 lbs and love having theirs shorts ride up the cracks of their butts.

I'll need photographic evidence.

Have fun Tramps and TriBee.

Rochrunner -  No housekeeping!  Yikes!

Holly - Sorry for the unemployment and job search stuff.

Jay - Yay for DW's update.  Thank goodness!

Would someone explain "Don't be stoopid"?

BTY!

My favorite shorts were from BIKE.  They were a baseball sliding short made out of what looked to be a burlap spandex blend.  This was in a cycling/running life.

I got 6 miles in.  I told my replacement where he needed to up his skills a bit.  He was flustered.

SteveP