Masters Running

For this I am thankful...Wednesday Nov. 25th daily thread (Read 516 times)

Thanks for a greta start to today's thread, Posie.  So many of you have already mentioned many of the things I'm thankful for, quite elegantly, as usual . . . . . . hmmmm, where to start . . . .

I'm thankful that, even when they drive me crazy, I get to spend my professional life making music with kids.  And that in the other part of my professional life, I get to make music with grown-ups.  

For summers and weekends at the shore, for kayaking, sailing, friends, family, and of course, running and the fact that all of you awesome people, who also happen to be awesome runners, let this turtle/pengiun/slowpoke hang out with you in cyberspace and dream of being like you when I grow up.  

I managed to sneak in 3.6 miles between work and a rehearsal last night.  Hoping for at least than many later this evening after stops at the produce market and (the most important stop!) the liquor store.  I'm spending most of tomorrow and Friday helping my mom to get ready to move out of the only family home I've ever known, so I think a little extra wine the next few evenings will definitely be in order.  

Enjoy the holiday weekend, everyone,

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Great theme for the daily thread Maraposai--Thank YOU

I am thankful for each new day and in all the different ways each hour unfolds. Above all, I am thankful for family, friends and for all of you.

7.6 miles in the drizzle/mist

FWIW "The Blind Side" is stirring up some controversy

Well . . . alrighty then.  Sounds like that reviewer either got up on the wrong side of the bed or has a corkscrew twisted wrong in his ole butt-ola  I could go on, but I won't.

Very insightful review for Precious.  Comedian Mo'Nique plays the mother, and just from the preview we watched - damm.

Haven't seen "The Hurt Locker," but Erika, what a great movie house!

Tramps - I watched "Doubt" on the plane ride to Australia earlier this year.  Excellent movie.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wow - how could I have forgotten baby Will? He's the best part of my Thanksgiving this year, though he's too little to pig out on pumpkin pie with grandma - maybe next year  

Just saw Doubt    recently too.  I liked it too; I'm a Streep fan, don't understand/agree with the critics who dump on her for over-acting.  Hoffman is gifted--been liking him since The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Agree with Leslie--that sounds like a fantastic movie house, Erika.  (and I love sweet potato fries, altho we bake 'em--even D. eats them!)

Really just dropped in to say I'll be thinking of you Eliz--that sounds like quite task, but I bet you and your mom will have a lot of shared memories to smile over, and some sad things, too, as that's how life is--what kind of wine goes with nostalgia?

Yes, Jlynne, pumpkin pie for breakfast for that boy next year.  I think it's safe to say we at RA are ALL grateful for Will.

grins,

A

Beautiful day out there, here--45 and sunny.  6 for me at lunch.  Am holding down the law pit so the traveling or cooking for a multitude colleagues can take off early. 

Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

I have had years where everything went my way, and years where they didn't, like last year for example.  But in every year I have always had many things to be thankful for.  It's a matter of choice I think, how you look at it.

This time of year many kids are home from college and I was so happy to run this morning with Prime Rib, just 3.4 and lots of talk.  Then a good flex workout at the Y.  Tomorrow we're all off to Spare Tire's for dinner. Can't wait.

[Way off topic, but please indulge me: If any of you play bridge, a good friend of mine, Marty Bergen, who was my partner in college and a well-known U.S. champion, bridge theorist and author, has written a couple of useful pieces on the play of the hand. If you would like them, please write me offline at spareribs823 at gmail dot com.]

Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Mariposai, you're a day early - we don't have to be thankful til tomorrow!   

Uh oh - Nono's thinking about becoming a maniac! And Bayside put you up to it...

Mary, I agree about being thankful for our dogs, who love us unconditionally.

If we see a movie this weekend it'll prolly be New Moon, since we have a teenaged daughter. 

Leslie, nice fast 10 miles this morning!

Eliz, it sounds like it'll be bittersweet helping your mom pack to move out of your childhood home.  Is she moving to an apartment or a retirement home?

We have the same weather as Amy, 45° and sunny. I went for a 5 mile trail run at lunchtime and it was delightful to be out in the woods.

We're driving up to my sister's house in Laramie WY for turkey day. She just got divorced and moved to Wyoming, and it'll probably be lonely for her to get through the holidays as a single person, so we're going to her place for Thanksgiving and she's coming to our house for Christmas. Laramie is only a 3 hour drive, so it's nice to have her somewhat close by.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I'm thankful for my family and friends...

I'm thankful for my new career...

I'm thankful for being able to run and enjoy life daily...

I'm very thanful to all of you, some I've met some I haven't but one day we'll all be together and that is what I'm most thankful for...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

I'm just thankful that I actually know a " Butterfly Lady" . 

I hope everyone reunites and shares the bounty of life with those they love and care for.

4 miles in a tempo type run for me today. 10 minute warm up followed by 30 second pace increase every  2 minutes until I got to a 6:50 pace (my hopeful 8k pace) and then back down and then a 10 minute cool down.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

4 miles for me too, but a lot slower than Larry. Sort of a progressive pace run, starting at 8:57, then dropping down at bit each half mile or mile till the last half mile was at 8:20. Felt good to run, even though my quads felt a little tired from yesterday's squats and it was too damn hot in there. Half mile walk for c/d, then 3 sets of 30 crunches on the stability ball. That's all I could fit in at lunch, but I'm thankful I got the opportunity to do it!

No running for me today: The girls didn't have school, and they are at their Mom's house tomorrow, so we had our Thanksgiving dinner today. The girls helped me make a scratch pumpkin pie. Ellie managed to make a very buttery short crust by spilling much of the flour. They were EXTREMELY skeptical of the butternut squash I roasted to make the filling. They were delighted by the results, though....they each asked for another slice, which I consented to (they then ran screaming around the house in a sugar-fueled delirium).

I'm thankful for my children. I'd be lost- really, really lost- without them.

Just shhhhh...don't tell them that.

Walt

I am thankful that I am healthy, and that at my age, I can run.  I am also thankful for RA, which greatly enriches my running hobby.  I am thankful that I live on the Oregon Coast, where it is beautiful, and the air is always clean, and that I can run outside almost any day of the year .

I am thankful that mariposai is coming here this weekend to visit her relatives, and that I will get to see her and run a bit with her.   Whoopeeeee!

SteveP

What a wonderful way to start the day.  Thank you, Mariposi.

I also hace asked waitsaff if they'd chew my food for me...I'm saving my teeth, ya know...

I've been there Slo....They'll move out....For a while.

Yeah Tammy and DS!!!!

Sweet Sweet

I agree with Aamos...Baby Will Rocks.

Kewl run with the Ribs tribe.

Yeah Sproinky Runs for Leslie. As far as movies, I recomend "The Thre Amigos" and "Mars Attacks".

The 'puter got a bug yesterday and I didn't get it fixed till tonight. I couldn't log on to any site. I had to ask for advice...That's like asking for directions.

Anyway, yesterday, Tag and I put in 4 miles.A strange 4 miles. On a one mile stretch of dirt road, a truck followed us. We'd slow up, so would they. When we sped up...Ditto. We stopped and I was going to approach the vehicle and they took off.  I must say, I didn't like it... The dog was confused.

A dog off leash started to amble (for lack of a better term) twards us. Tag didn't pull or want to go play, like he usually does when we're running. His hackles went up. The dog started to trot after us. Every time Tag looked back, he got a little more aggressive. After a bit, the other dog turned back.

I'm glad that each of you are a part of my cyber life..and equally grateful for those whom I've had the honor to meet face to face. Many of you have been in my thoughts and prayers through out the day. Hopefully each of you hav received the same support and comppasion that I have through this group same of deranged individuals.

I'm thankful for my wife. She's been nothing but a blessing to me. Of course we don't always see eye to eye. When I think of her smile, I always pause to reflect. One could get lost looking into her eyes. Like looking at the stars on a clear night.  I've got to see her heart and for that I'm truly thankful. I get to hold her hand...What a treat.  We're the couple you see slow dancing to the music in the super market aisles.

All the kids have moved out..Sweet!!! DD#3 has moved back in!!! Even sweeter.

There's good news and bad news. There are two races Thursday. I'm registered for both...Tag can not register.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

There's good news and bad news. There are two races Thursday. I'm registered for both...Tag can not register.

as long as they're not at the same time your should be all set? 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.