Masters Running

The countdown contiues: 12.31.13 (Read 43 times)

Stumpy and Dave, Congrats on getting to 1000.  I fell way short this year.

Stumpy, ah, your wife, a kindred spirit who has the kind of sarcasm I love...

Football....it is embarrassing, there is the whole hype going on here in Seattle, and I am so out of it.  What appear to be homeless people in the streets holding up Seahawks signs in the medians of intersections at all hours of the day.  Wait, I guess they are not homeless people, just fanatics.

Mike E, I thought you were going to say Eric backed into Ryan......

But, no, not funny.

I left work a little early, and did 4.3 miles with Remi.  I feel a bit guilty about posting this....it was 47F, no wind, overcast with just the slightest bit of misty drizzle, if any at all.  IRC.  Capris, short-sleeve T and long sleeve T.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Happy New Year to one and all,

I haven't posted regularly here in a very long time, though I do look in time to time.  I have met up with some of you at few running events this past year and even Nancy and Paul this past Saturday for some skiing, chatting and a great dinner that evening.  This has been another great year for Sue and I here in the PNW.  And some of you may remember 7 years ago when we moved from Virginia.  Next year will bring some new adventures for us as we are moving again.  This time its to Japan and we will be there for at least 3 years.  Lots of new marathons to be had for me, although my quest for 50 states will be put on hold for a short time.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

she is also donating money to her favorite 2 charities for everyone who ran today for her!!  She is an inspiration for sure!!

That's a beautiful thought to help erase the rottener parts of this year I think about too much.

I hope your ankle is doing better, now that you're going a bit easier on it, Mustang Sally. Yes, there is definitely a learning curve for racewalking because it involves moving your body in ways that most of us are not familiar with or used to at all. Some people pick it up in a few weeks. Most people take a few months to get the basics down. Then it is a matter of constant refinement to improve efficiency and speed. If your mom is not interested in judged races, then mastering all the racewalking technique is not critical. For most people in that situation, I recommend they work on shorter strides (most walkers reach too far forward with their leading leg), quicker turnover, and keeping their arms bent at 90 degrees and using a fuller and more powerful arm swing than most people use. If you/she wants some more detail, let me know.

Jay -
        Thanks for all your race-walking and other advice. 
        The power arm swings have helped me a lot now that my running is getting to be the “break” part

. . . with all the walking I’m doing (but not race-walking yet).
        Do race-walkers ever take walk breaks or would that disrupt form to the extent of DQ’ing?
        How would your fast regular walking compare to your race-walking over equivalent distances?
        Is your cadence 180 steps per minute, or more?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Next year will bring some new adventures for us as we are moving again.  This time its to Japan and we will be there for at least 3 years.  Lots of new marathons to be had for me, although my quest for 50 states will be put on hold for a short time.

sugoi Maiku-san.  Omedetou.  Itsu/When are you going?

I'm going over for two weeks on Thursday and'll warn the Japanese Joyfuls of your move.

Maybe you can be the first gaijin to run the 47-prefectures marathon challenge.

Do you still have the photo of us at their Imperial palace marathon?

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

ps - did I ever tell you what they drink at their pre-race carbo feasts? (to say nothing of the hot spring pools afterwards) Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Today we took the kid to the Natural History Museum, then dropped her off with her mother and started home. We made it to the Cleveland. About half way. And decided not to push through the last five hours, especially since it started snowing pretty hard. We just hope we don't get stuck here.   We're getting too old for 3:00am drives in the snow.

evanflein

I had to go back to yesterday's thread (Monday) to see the post from BTY. Hang in there, Brian, and good to hear you avoided surgery. Most people do better with physical therapy for many of those issues. One day at a time, right?

Hey Janie! Good to see you too! Looking forward to seeing you more in 2014.

Mike/Rasmussenmp, have fun in Japan! You've been there before, but has Sue? Nice that you guys could go skiing with Mariposai and the Easy Pacer last weekend.

5.3 miles today, so 2,201.4 for the year. Nice to have made that arbitrary goal, and tomorrow looks like the weather will be good for an outdoor run. Nice way to start the new year.