Masters Running

Sept. 5 College Football Saturday! (Read 352 times)

Erika - What's the distance of the Equinox run, and when is it?  At least the last part's downhill! Yea!

And the pic of Cheyenne and Midnight - Proof positive that cats and dogs can be friends.  Sweet picture.  Our old guy, Fatso, had a brother, Dudie (like Dude).  We had to put Dudie at age 12.  A couple of days later, The Hub went away for two weeks.  Fatso was absolutely lost for awhile.  No Dudie, no Dad.  We both felt lost.  . . . . . Now we've made up for it by having 4.5 cats. Go figure.   And Fats is so old, half the time he can't remember where's he at.  Poor guy!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

The Equinox pictured there is a full marathon. This year they've added the 50k ultra option, which will add the extra 5 miles shortly after mile 25. It's going to be hard to be faced with the trail turning downhill for the final .8 mile or so to the finish, and know I'll have to turn left for 5 more hilly miles. Oh well... I've always wanted to do an ultra! Just was hoping my first would be a little easier course.

Look at it this way. My first will of course be a PR. And given that my first will be this one, I can almost guarantee another PR when I do my next one!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - what a sweet photo of cheyenne and midnight: eight paws and two bare feet.

Unfortunately, of course, the course profile left out miles 26.2 - 31.1 of the extended Equinox 50K option.

If I were them, I wouldn't post it for anyone to see either.

However, I sincerely urge you to do the marathon distance you've been doing over the years and can compare for years to come on what is one of the most brutal courses in the country. Making it a 50K is not for the strong and the sane but must be some sort of cruel joke for the UAF cross country skiers who'll be duped into thinking it'll get 'em into even better shape for the winter racing season when actually they will probably not be walking normally until breakup.

I'm sure posie, dove, and francesca, maybe even divechief and me, wouldpromise to run a reasonable ultra down here with you.  One of the local 100K's, if not miles, would be a more rational virgin ultra than Equinox. What if it snows?  What if it's muddy?  What if it's frozen mud you break through like crusted snow on every step but get all wet and cold and muddy instead, what if it's 20 below,  Even if it's nice, remember how the frost on the fallen yellow birch leaves melts making the black soil slippery as an ice rink? to say nothing of moose in their final forage before winter plus wandering caribou, very hungry grizzly and black bear looking for a final meal, lynx, wolves, etc.  What about all the roots, rocks, snags, windfalls just waiting to trip you up when you are most tired in the ultra part. 

It's the EQUINOX erika. For God's sake come to your senses.     

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet's cracking me up!

Erika - Do you run this in trail shoes?  Just about the only advice I can give on the ultra is make sure you eat.  I usually carry a sandwich size baggie, and about half fill it with potato pieces, PBJ, fig bars, and banana.  I eat some of it while walking out of the aid station, then make sure I finish it all before the next.

When is the run?  You're gonna do great.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Tet makes the Equinox Ultra sound like so much fun!!! 

evanflein

Oh I know, he's being so silly. Leslie, they're promising to take good care of us ultra runners, with extra treats at the out-and-back turnaround and mile 17, and other spots. I'll take my bigger "fanny pack" though and have some extra stuff, but in general I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not "racing" this, just working to finish it. But Tet is right in one respect, it's not an easy course and could be downright very difficult.

Tet, the skiers created the monstrous course back in the 60's, but now it's the realm of the Running Club North, and the RD for the past 13+ (I don't know how many, but lots) years thought this would be fun... 

Somehow when reading Tet's posts I think about the elevation charts shown here today (well, yesterday), and I too need to take walking breaks.

Erika - that photo really captures the love that Cheyenne felt for your family.  She's in a better place now.

Is it my imagination or is Midnight hugh?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com