Masters Running

Race Reports for April 21&22 (Read 18 times)

Mariposai

Wishing our weekend racer a fun adventure!

04/21 fatozzig - Mendocino Coast 50k, Mendocino CA

04/21 pfriese - Remember the Ten 5K, Stillwater OK

04/21 runr_nut - Bushes Spring Chicken 10K, Temple

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

I have the Earthday Half Marathon tomorrow in St Cloud MN. I have run in many years but my many  injuries the last year has really limited my running. I have only run once more than  about a 10k  since September (8 miles). If my leg and my knee will let me I will be able to run a half but I have no idea of how it will go. I was hoping it would have stayed cold as we have all of April so far, so I would have a good excuse to wear my various sleeves for my knee and leg and a warm pants and have a easy run. But it is warming up today and tomorrow and I am now thinking of wearing my usual racing attire and I worry about re-injuring myself.  I am going to try to convince myself to take it easy tomorrow, overdress, stay warm and not injure myself again.

spinach

I got in the Earthday Half Marathon here in St Cloud MN. I wasn't in shape for it, having only run once more than 6 miles since September (8 miles) but I have enough miles in previous years that I was able to do it. I was a little concerned approaching this with the heavy snows we had the last several weekends but it was okay today. The temperature was below freezing but it wasn't bad. We were lucky that we didn't have any wind because for some unknown reason, the start was delayed for almost a half hour. We were all standing on the road where the start was just waiting in the 20 degrees. If we had our usual winds it would have been horrible but no wind and it wasn't bad.

The race got started and everyone was glad.  I was a bit concerned because I have had several injuries and surgeries the previous year and a half and so i only had 150 miles this year.  But i have enough miles in previous years i was able to rely on that history.  The first seven or eight miles were okay but then i definitely could feel my lack of conditioning and my pace dropped  some.  I managed to get to the end and finish with a time of 1:41:55. That is  a new record, my slowest half marathon. I expected that this would be a new record but this one is better than  expected. That is a good case, since this will give me more opportunities to get a slower half.  I was surprised to find out that I won my 60-64 age group.  An advantage of getting older, I can set a new slow record and still win the age group..

This is now giving me  193 consecutive months with a race.

pfriese

12th annual Remember the Ten 5K .

Result: 24:28 & 1AG

A race I've run every year since it began. This race is to honor the young men killed in the OSU basketball team plane crash in 2001. The money raised goes to the universities counseling services both to provide scholarship & counseling to students who are experiencing a loss, concern, or crisis. Remember the Ten weblink

Weather did turn up being similar to Boston. A bit warmer at 45F with an east wind of 15mph and a steady rain. Good news, only had to run into the wind for 1/3 of the race & it was only 5K. Pleased with the result though I thought I could have done better. It was only a minute off of last years pace.

Paul