Masters Running

Thursday April 19th - running? (Read 56 times)

ribs, great article about your Boston with Joe.

Nice long runs for mari and PBJ.  Good job on the speedwork for opie and enke.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 40s and there was some wind.  I wore my shorts and got in 8 miles at a 10:46 pace.

This morning, there was an article in the Detroit Free Press about an elementary school principal from Troy, MI.  She was about where ribs was when the race was ended so she didn't finish.  When she got back to her elementary school, the kids made a finish line in the library, had her cross it and break a tape, then gave her a plastic finishers medal.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

edited to correct a bad choice of words!

I wish I had the original to compare to see what you thought was a bad choice of words.

I ran 4.8 miles today.  We had all these dire predictions of the worst flooding in history, schools are canceled tomorrow, parts of town evacuated, Northwood University evacuated, the local newspaper tweeted that it's employees were filling sand bags ---- and then it stopped raining so now I don't know how bad it is supposed to be. Confused  If the weather nerds are going to be wrong, this is the way to do it.

Mariposai

Spareribs, enjoy your week at home!

one more +1....

Like someone said, (sorry, memory fails & no time to look..) in many ways we really are a family.  

I so agree!

I added a mile walk to my day, not by choice. I went to the parking lot to get in the car to drive home, but the car would not start Dead.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Suddenly my coccyx hurts.

Hey, let's watch the language around here.  This isn't the Swamp.

Hi PBJ!  I tried watching Walking Dead after seeing a thread about it over in the main forum but I quickly lost interest. I'm not a zombie guy, I guess. (Unlike Mari, by the looks of her new avatar.)  We're watching Homeland for fluff at the moment.  Not great, but okay.

Nice story, Tom I looked it up.

Dave--I hope it's a false alarm

C-R--yeah, I saw that Bruins clip on the news this morning.  Nice.  (Good luck in the half.)

Slo--good to see you!  It's tough keeping those pounds off, isn't it?

Ribs--smart strategy.  You deserve a good rest.

I'm in that "what do I do next?" mode.  I like Richmond a lot and it's easy and inexpensive for me so that's the obvious choice for a Fall race, I guess.  I'm disappointed in my Boston fiasco so right now I'm feeling motivated to do well in the Fall....though that feeling might pass over a long, hot summer.

Warm 80F this afternoon but a nice Spring breeze made it pleasant.  I went out for an EZ 5 not paying attention to pace but ended up with a surprisingly sproinky run.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Big grin

Hey, let's watch the language around here.  This isn't the Swamp.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey guys, the big news is that I am going to have a slumber party with Enkephalin and her kids at their cabin this weekend!!! I can't wait.

I am so envious!

MikeE - around here, the weather can change completely in a day, so I don't pay much attention to the forecast until right before, but still, that would be darn near perfect, wouldn't it?

8 miles with fartleks for me this morning in a windy 62 degrees.  Lovely!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

<timidly dipping her toe into the grown-up's pool>

Waddled 5K today, very penguin-like. First time I've dared to measure distance or pace in, oh, a couple of years. Not as slow as the first 5K that I walked with zero training, but not pretty, either. Good news: the only aches and pains are the muscle-y kind, not the I feel like every bone in my foot has been crushed kind.

<waddling back to the baby pool>

Florence

flomotioncoaching.com

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Slo comes back for a day and is already picking fights.  Nice.

Well, the weather saved me again.  I was supposed to have another meeting with my perspective employer, today, after work.  Unfortunately, I just got home from work a few minutes ago but it's snowing so bad we postponed our meeting until Saturday.  Man, I hope it works out.

So, anyway--in anticipation of this meeting, I reworked my schedule to have an off day, tonight so, after I do a few back extensions for the monthly challenge, I'm going go put my feet up, have a couple beers, and watch some TV.  And I ain't doing any shoveling, either!

Okay--I gotta go--I mentioned beer an my mouth started watering.

SteveP

A week ago today, I swam with dolphins.(Others were shouting and slapping the water to get their attention. I took a handful of potato chips and roused their curiosity)...Upon recalling that, I decided to go make sure our basement was still dry...Whew...

SteveP

Good things come to those who wait, Mike. Good luck on Saturday.

I see free beer in somebody's future but don't want to wager a bet on who's going to win. Hi Slo! Nice to see you posting again.

You too, Dg. You're not the only one fighting a bad back you know.

Have fun at the sleepover Mariposai. How about some pictures of the pillow fight?

Hi Eliz - hi Amos. It's been a long time.

Hope you weren't swimming with dolphins on that flooded highway Steve Big grin

Great story on Joe, Ribs. You have a gift for words and I always enjoy reading your columns.

Cool story, Tselbs. I'll bet that principal was touched.

The wonderful spring weather continues. High of 36° today (really? it's almost May!) with high winds and rain. Forecast for tomorrow looks much better. Snow flurries. Like an idiot, I bought a bunch of vegetable plants on sale at Home Depot last week. They're sitting in a cardboard box on my kitchen floor in front of our patio doors looking really unhappy right now.

45 minutes of pool running this morning and 30 minutes of laps. Concentrating on the back stroke this week. My good friend who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer passed away on Tuesday. If you could, please pray for her husband who is really struggling right now.

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.  Her husband is in my thoughts.

Mike, good luck with the next job meeting on Saturday .  Do you need any references from on-line running friends? Smile

Mariposai and Enke - have fun this weekend!

Hi to Eliz and Aamos and PBJ - nice to see you all!

Slo and C-R - I might have to do the Monkey again this year, too!   But I'm not betting a beer on who can run anything fastest because I'd owe you both beers!

It was 20F and very windy today, with the wind chill in single digits.  But it was sunny with a gorgeous deep blue sky, so I went out for 6 miles in screw shoes on the plowed dirt roads.  We got about 20" of snow over the past 3 days - I think this is the  biggest storm so far this winter, and we can really use the moisture.  Here's a picture I posted on facebook yesterday, for those of you who haven't already seen it.  It was snowing really hard while I was out.  That's Tazzie on the leash and Ladybug behind me.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

tselbs that is such a wonderful story!  Three cheers to the kids!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mustang sally

Bad faerie

5 very easy paper-bag recovery running kilometres.  I rode finished1 my first cycling road race last night, liberally bending Coach's orders for the evening, which didn't much resemble a 45 minute warmup and transport to the course, 30 minutes of high-speed, shoulder-jostling idiocy, and 45 minutes of nominal cooldown on the way home (during which I got swept up in a pack of returning fastees and decided to try to keep up) (self-whap).

I think I like road racing.

1Entered my first race a few weeks ago and got my butt handed to me on a platter.  Was so mortified that I slunk off the course and drove home, a black cloud chasing my car all the way back to the ferry.

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah, I missed Tom's story, earlier.  That is really cool.

I couldn't stand it...I shoveled.  It took over an hour.  It was the heaviest dang snow, I've ever shoveled...or am I just getting too old...

dg.

here, bad faerie...