Masters Running

Thursday 8-23...... (Read 445 times)

Jlynne and Holly S. just do what I do only grow flowers in pots on your deck!  No rabbits, groundhogs or deer!  Of course, no tomatoes either but you cannot have everything.  Alas, some of my pots look half dead so maybe not such a great solution . . .

Mariposai first night run!  Liar!  I have pictures!  I have witnesses!  You running at night in New Hampshire somewhere last September!  Admit it, admit it!  Oh, sorry, sorry, those nonstop political ads they just do something to me . . . Surprised

fatozzig you apparently need a new signature line.  If you were really living behind a curtain you could find places to, err, rest whenever you needed a, err, nap!  How about, "Living and running behind the redwood framed picture window!"  Just a thought.

biketm good for you on your new view of the situation!  May the next relationship be with somebody that truly works out.

Dave59 a friend of mine once claimed all home repairs came in units of $5,000.  Sounds like a potential two unit repair bill!  Ugh!

Spareribs the Greek physicist hydrogen? Confused

TamminGP okay that does it!  If kids do think mom is cool when she does speed work at a track . . . well teenagerness is just bred into our genes!  It is hopeless!

enkephalin congratulations on 26 years!

tselbs interesting advice on poison ivy and that other topic.

PBJ congratulations on the good news!  I sure can empathize!  It just feels great!

News You Already Knew:  Healthy People Over 50 Are Safe To Run Marathons.  Good thing too!  Here I thought 80% of this forum was doomed to die in the next year!  Wink

Today was 14 mile day and I am happy to say without a lick of tempo or MP running involved!  No zombies either though.  After Tuesday's MP run I was in no mood to outrun moaning hoards.  But I am having fatozzig like issues as late.  Now sure why it has, err, hit all of a sudden.  But, unlike her I do not live behind the redwood framed picture window and there are lots of stops.  Still, this is all very annoying! 

On another running issue, I need to get organized for this year's Reach the Beach Relay!  In many ways my favorite running event of the year!  Notice I said event not race.  The team I am on is called the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club and we would only win something if we literally just drove the course and skipped all the running.  Fine by me!  It is a rolling 30 hour party!  For those of you that have never done a relay I highly recommend doing one.  Find a team that views speed as strictly optional and fun as mandatory.  You will just love it!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Dang it, Twocat!  You said everything I was going to say.  Oh well...

Just a run to report, I guess.  10.2 miles in 1:19:08.  Then I mowed the lawn. 

Okay--that's it for me.  After crawling around on my hands and knees pulling staples out of a floor at work, today, I'm bushed.  See ya!

I am worried that "fatozzig-like issues" might become a standard phrase.....for, you know....

kind of like "doing an Enke"......which, by the way, I have not done in at least a year.

and going to disreputable internet sites will now be called..."doing a TomWhite"

Having an awesome race photo will be "pulling a Holly" or its alternative, "pulling a Wildchild"

Getting up at dark o' 4am will be "channeling my inner Coastwalker"

I could go on.....but I'll stop here.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Someday I need to run a relay.  You all make it sound like so much fun!

Hope Mr. Grouchy Pants got back on his way to Oregon without any further incidents, but he was meeting our client at the DMV, and, well, it's the DMV. Wink

Glad I have a sympathizer in TwoKitty.  Although, I am happy to report that my 5 miles after work didn't include a single moment of Shocked.  It did, however, include a butt load of traffic, which reminds me, yet again, why (1) I don't like to run on roads and (2) I don't like to run after work. 

I am also happy to report, however, that Mile #3, my first tempo mile, came in at 9:02 and included quite a bit of incline.  Not necessarily steep, but incline nonetheless.  Unfortunately, as soon as I turned around, my Garmin lost the satellite, which I didn't know until halfway through the mile.  So I'm guessing that since Mile #4, my second tempo mile, included some slightly downhill, the pace would've been a bit better.  I really concentrated on form and arm swing, and it helped a lot, but it didn't take much for me to lose that concentration.  Need to work on it.

Okay - Off to do transcription ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

We can always count on Enke to sum things up so well!

I ran one of the weekly Equinox training runs tonight! They hold them every Thursday starting back in late June, but this is the first one I've been able to attend. It's also the last regular Thursday night training run, so I'm lucky I could do it! This starts just past mile 17, with "The Chute" which is 1/3 mile just about straight down hill on dirt and gravel. Yikes! Always exciting. Then we turn left (east) at the bottom and run on "the alder trail" which also has a lot of birch, and mostly downhill with good trail but some rocks and ruts and some uphill. It is nice to be able to run the course before the race, for sure, and I like to get on at least all parts beforehand if only to check out the condition of the trail and make sure I can still do it without falling. (usually I can....) Tonight was a total of 9 miles and my average pace was 7:50. Woohoo! Fun to do that in training because I sure as heck can't do it during the race. The first 17 miles make sure of that... But it was fun to get with the group and do this part of the course. Now I just need to do the out-and-back to have pretty much do the whole thing, but I also want to run the big hill part a couple more times.

Swamped at work these days so I don't even get to the daily on a daily basis, but I'm hoping to have a little better handle on things soon.

Bushrat Runner

Got out for the first time since the valley road run, ran 1.5 miles with a friend, his son, and both my kids, then the friend and DD and I did another 1.5 for a total of 3 easy miles.

Now...time to work on that race report...

Marathon Maniac #957

Just waiting for the running okay from my knee doc - and I got it today.  Two words - "No restrictions."  Yes! 

Yay!  And yes, the guy in the picture was being very kind....

(((Timbo)))

Happy Anniversary Enke!

Happy Birthday Spareribs!

6 easy-paced miles for me on Thursday morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

We can always count on Enke to sum things up so well!

And of course when it's really cold and we're debating if we should run, there's WWED?   Or we Erika-up!  Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TomW - you crack me up.  Like a whip.

...you needed one PBJ//.........Glad I could help.......

how's the

cross-training going??

.......ps........

for the

time being,

let's not mention ''whips.''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....