Masters Running

Shrove Tuesdaily (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

along with the warm weather, the supermarkets sell wine - it's a problem deciding between prosecco and malbec - as i said we suffer.....

Ah, roughing it, are you? 

Deez - Have I told you lately what an awesome person you are?  You truly inspire...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

7.5 @ 8:18

Cruising along, enjoying the weather and working on my tan. They are already talking "drought" for this year in CA. Unbeknownst to most, CA has had an historical wet period for the last 200 years (according to tree ring studies). So, it's more like we're returning to "normal". Maybe a little shortage will get the powers that be to be more responsible with water management. I don't know why we aren't paying by the gallon for our residential water yet.

metalman; rest and rehab it adequately, you don't want to be me and "run through it" and end up not able to run at all for 2-6 months (gluteus medius and achilles).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, still trying to catch up on missed sleep with the training drill weekend.  Weather helped, chilly with one of those cold rains.....so I got another 1.5 hours of sleep.  Ran after work with my new group superintendent for 2.5 miles, then on my own for another 4.  After that went to the Y to teach spin.  That may be coming to an end.  I'm a volunteer instructor and they have a paid instructor that has no classes....so I've been asked to give her mine.  I said it's their class and sure, do whatever you need to.  I thought I was going to be leaving fairly soon anyway but that's not going to happen.  So we'll see, it's not like I don't like my current position.

RunnerKSA, I certainly learned a lot.  Biggest was learning that a very easy paced run can be a great recovery.  Mine ran from Jan 20, 2008 to Jan 18, 2016.  It ended 5+ miles into a run when I slipped on some black ice.  Broken tibia, dislocated foot (it was turned 90 deg out....almost wish I had a photo) and pretty much destroyed the ligaments.  2 weeks in a soft cast, 4 weeks in a walking boot, 6 weeks with a lace up ankle wrap.  1 week into that one I started to do some very light running on my walks.

Tet, The Keysers I taught on would show instantaneous power output in kW alternating with total calories burned during that particular ride.  I suspect hers was showing calories--450 Watts is a LOT for an amateur.  I generally tried to stay between 150 and 175 Watts during the "easy" parts of the ride.  I once got to 350 on a ride, but it was a very large gear (for me....I think around 20?) and I couldn't sustain it much past 15 seconds.  Also burned a lot of calories on that ride.  If you can feed the computer HR information (ours wouldn't pick up a Garmin--Ant+ I think--it could pick up the Polar signals) you get better fidelity on the data.  BTW, some of the newer models (I have no experience with it myself) have apps that allow you to sync up your smart phone via Bluetooth.  That allows the computer to know "who" is on and adjust accordingly--so the data matches what you have in the phone.  Looking forward to trying it when I visit home.  But watch the one line that alternates between power and calories--the power number is instantaneous and the calorie number is a total for that ride.

Have a great night everyone!

Long day for me. I ran 12 miles this morning. Finally returned hom from a business dinner at close to 9pm. One more business dinner on Friday. Somebody help me!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

metalmancpa

I did NOT run today. The hamstring is there, I feel it. I've had hamstring issues before. I ran a 10k on a bad hamstring a couple of years ago early Dec, but I knew I was shutting it down for the rest of that month. It took me 6 weeks before I could run again. I have no race plans, so I will monitor things day by day.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

you'd make a poor candidate for the apnea sleep test

I slept seven-and-a-half hours through last week, . . .

or maybe you'd be a better one.

Get results next week.

Can hardly wait.

Hey y'all, still trying to catch up on missed sleep with the training drill weekend.  Weather helped, chilly with one of those cold rains.....so I got another 1.5 hours of sleep.  

RunnerKSA, . . .  Mine ran from Jan 20, 2008 to Jan 18, 2016.  It ended 5+ miles into a run when I slipped on some black ice.  Broken tibia, dislocated foot (it was turned 90 deg out....almost wish I had a photo) and pretty much destroyed the ligaments.  .

Now that is a good reason.

I guess, though, it takes something like that

for anyone to conclude such an impressive streak.

Tet, . . .  But watch the one line that alternates between power and calories--the power number is instantaneous and the calorie number is a total for that ride.

Falcon - sounds about right.

I'll check it out / confirm on Thursday.

Thanks.

ps - none of 'em did, but all four different instructors at the four classes I've been to so far just jumped into their routines without any explanation to the newbies.  However, when I asked the 24-hour instructor something about the gearing at the end of Saturday's session, the gal next to me recommended the instructor tell me about saddle height, etc. but the instructor said, "oh, I've been watching him and think he's been on a bike enough not to need any advice in that regard."

pps - sounds like you like instructing.

Maybe you can help somewhere else . . .
              or put you on the internet for people

with stationary's at home.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Bio Guy...Communication is important. However, a class room is not the place for a cell phone.

We're old; we lived through the dark ages before cell phones, GPS, and ATM machines.

Like savages.

(((((Deez)))))

Leslie, thank you for that link. There's a local fella who's blowing my mind. I first became aware of him on a FB group. He was asking if people knew disadvantaged kids who needed bikes. His specialty is refurbishing old bicycles to donate to handicapped kids.

A rest day of sorts. I lost my cool with the rep from one of our suppliers. Their staff repeatedly misreads the instructions and builds doors incorrectly. One mistake costs our company all the profits from that project. One mistake hits our customers in the pocket book as well.  We lost a long time customer's door business. When I told the sales rep, he indicated that it wasn't much of a loss.

I had a pow wow with the customer's sales person about damage control. If I were to choose to do business with an idiot, what does that make me?

While my blood pressure was up, I noticed flowers in my office from DW. They were to celebrate 20 years of continuous sobriety.

We had a late and long staff meeting. My 2nd shift helper was given the day off so I spent a few hours sorting and labeling.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

If I were to choose to do business with an idiot, what does that make me?

Steve - there's gotta be a special place in heaven for everyone

who has to pretend that customers, supervisors, judges, etc.

are so smart, righteous and never wrong..

Fortunately, most of them are.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

I tell trainees that a good customer is one who pays their bills on time. No one says we have to like them.

SteveP