Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 06/20/09) (Read 868 times)

jfa

Nice going on the hills Leslie.

Cindy- fine looking streak you have there. It's cool to look at your maps too.Now, if we could just get these other Garmin users' to share theirs...........

Now, if we could just get these other Garmin users' to share theirs...........

Okay, Joe.  You got your wish.  Now if someone ends up stalking me and hunting me down one morning, you are in BIG trouble, my friend.  Big BIG trouble.

MTA: Interesting.  For my run on Shackleford Trail Saturday, the map said I ran 9.7 miles while my Garmin said 9.00.  For my run the previous Sunday in the forest, 10.53 v. 9.75.  That's almost a .80 difference.

This is a trip:

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Ok Leslie - you know that I don't want Nooooo trouble with you! I understand completely if you're reluctant to show courses like, around your town. I'm talking about parks, and trails,and such. And besides, I just tried,and still can't see your maps anyway! Some folks are just shy,I spose, and don't want their stuff out there.

MTA- there's a good discussion on the accuracy of Garmins over on the "Gear" thread.

Well, tomorrow is HS Graduation Day for kid # 3 of 3. I can't believe that, raising them went by sooo fast. He's already signed up for Kean University in the fall , I'm still not sure who's paying for it?! Maybe Obama can help us. Anyway, my Dad's up from Fla and DW's family and us will be celebrating this weekend. Hoping that the constant ,never ending rain will hold off for the ceremony, otherwise it will be 3 hrs on the bleechers in the HS gym! Not too comfortable!

Okay.  I didn't see that I had to click the box for making it publicly viewable.  Did it for Arcata and Shackleford.

Good luck with graduation weather!  Now that #3 is done, what're you and the missus gonna do with yerselves??

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hi kids,

Been having trouble keeping up with you this week (running and posting).  Joe, you seem to be doing pretty well with your son's graduation.  I know a few moms who are struggling w/ this letting go phase of life.  I guess you guys have already been through it twice, so are prepared for those happy/sad emotions.

Leslie, how's your kitty?  Is it Fatso this time?  Hope he's OK.  Given your resourcefulness and energy, I have no doubt the job thing will work out for you.

Ev, kudos for you and the DW for getting out there.  It's wicked hot here too!

Jim, cool video from Jonathan.  I didn't realize the cross country teams were encouraged to train throughout the summer.  Those coaches have to be real motivators.

Arla, glad the move for your mom is going well.  Don't forget to take care of yourself too Smile

Not much running this week, but I did get out yesterday morning for a short one and added in a little upper body workout at the park using a picnic table and a log.  Took one of our dogs (Scooter) to the vet for his annual checkup this week, and it soon became non-routine.  They discovered (after an XRay) that he has MANY stones in his urethera.  They were amazed he can still urinate, but he had shown NO signs of distress to us.  We are now feeding him a special diet that can actually dissolve some stones.  Surgical option is pretty rough, so we're hoping for the best with the dietary intervention.   DH's old college roommate is coming to stay w/ us for a week and a half starting Sunday, and we have a father's day bash planned for Sunday, so I'm off to mow the yard now. 

Oh, oh...exciting news...I ordered some new shorts and liked them so much I am getting more + some for my mom.   I got them in an attempt to replace my favorite pink Brooks shorts.  They are nice and light, but a little longer than your average running shorts so cover my aging bum rather nicely.  They don't ride up at all either.  Closeout at REI''s online store if you are interested  http://www.rei.com/product/790765  

Hey there to everyone else, and Happy Father's Day to all the dads.  I lost my dad to suicide when I was a teen, but now have an awesome step dad and wonderful father-in-law.  You men make a huge diffference in your kid's lives, yes, even after they are grown up!        

Progress Trumps Pefection
              Morning, All -

Well, it's heavy, heavy fog this a.m. and warm, so kind of sticky.  Fortunately, we don't the intense humidity and heat of most of you.

Carol - Enjoy your company.  And I hope Scooter does well on the diet.  Surgery would stink.  I'm gonna check out that link, too.  I have only two pairs of shorts that I really like, but they do ride up between my legs, and if I don't cover myself with Body Glide on the inside of my thighs, I get rubbed raw.

The power went out at some point during the night, so my alarm clock was Wilson, who failed to wake me up at the right time (I need to train him better).  So a bit of a lackluster strength/core training today.  My right knee is talking to me, so I couldn't do some of the lower leg stuff.

Still don't know what's wrong with my kitty, BK, and he doesn't want to eat, but he will let us pet him some.  He got to come home yesterday, but the vet is befuddled.  He had a really high temp (104.4) when we took him, but it was down to 101 when I picked him up.  Should get the blood test results back today, so hopefully it'll tell us something.  On top of that, the poor guy gets car sick!

Between him and our old guy, Fats, the last four weeks have been expensive.  Oh well.  I just need to think about all the money we're saving by not sending them the college.

22 trail miles scheduled for tomorrow - Just me and Charlie Dog since Karen's in Hawai'i.  It'll be my longest run since my marathon in October.  Then a BBQ with my legal professionals association at the Crabs baseball game, and 10 on Sunday.  Somewhere in between there I have to get my transcription done.  {{{sigh}}} I'm tired just thinking about it.

Have a fabulous, weekend ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Enjoy ~

WOMEN'S REVENGE
                'Cash, check or charge?' I asked, after folding items the woman wished to purchase.
                As she fumbled for her wallet , I noticed a remote control for a television set in her purse.
                'So, do you always carry your TV remote?' I asked. 
                'No,' she replied, 'but my husband refused to come shopping with me,
                and I figured this was the most evil thing I could do to him legally.'

UNDERSTANDING WOMEN
                (A MAN'S PERSPECTIVE)
                I know I'm not going to understand women. 
                I'll never understand how you can take boiling hot wax, 
                pour it onto your upper thigh, rip the hair out by the root, 
                and still be afraid of a spider. 

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Sucky, Sucky nite and morning as we lost well over half if not more of our wheat crop to a 12:45p hailstorm that woke us up. All our corn is damaged, don't know how much, time will tell. We have insurance which will keep us around to play another day but not near cover the damage. All crop work and plans on hold now.

Joe congrats on #3 graduating hope u have a good time at the reception. Hope running fills the void of being empty nesters but you will always be their parents.

Leslie and Carol hope the forum critters all get well soon. We have a stray cat that seems to have adopted us, and we are not really cat people. I think there is a mark stray cats leave behind to tell others who is a sucker and will feed them.

We have a 5k at a celebration in our closest big town (28,000)  tommorow. Its a pretty big race for here but not really a goal race for us. We use it kinda as a measuring stick to see where we are at in training for the local 5k on the 4th. Both of those races also have 10k's but we save that for BB and Chase County fair later in the summer. If it wasn't for the race I would like to just take off. Its not pretty around here.......

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Damn, Jim, that does suck.  Really sorry to hear about the bad news.  You farmers are a tough breed and are no strangers to adversity.  Like you said, you'll be around for another day....although that's just a consolation.

If you're like me, you'll take your frustrations out on the race tomorrow, which means you may go harder than normal.  Be careful.

Better days, my friend.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Damn, Jim - I'm so sorry to hear about your crops.  I just don't know what else to say, except you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Re the stray cat - It knows good suckers when it sees them. And just think, it'll help keep the mice population at bay.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - sorry to hear about the crop losses. I can't imagine what it must be like to take a huge hit like that.To think that people here in CA are screaming about enforced days off work and (relatively minor) pay cuts.

Leslie - hope you figure out what's going on with that kitty of yours. Not eating isn't good! 

And Carol - good luck with your dog - hope the diet mods help.

Wow....Hang in everyone!

Bad run today...seems I get one of these about every 6 months, so I wasn't too surprised, just sucked it up. I guess mom worries/not eating right/high Fresno temps/bad luck/who knows - so I cut a couple miles out and did the walk/run home. Big glass of gatorade and all was well.

Arla

Ex runner

Good 9miler for me this afternoon.  It cooled down to a nice 89 degrees, was windy earlier in the day but calm winds during the run.  Humidity starting to come down, but still a bit sticky.  I sound like a weatherman.....I may have missed my calling.

Carol got some new shorts.  Sweeet!  Thanks for the Father's Day wish.  My father has been gone for 20+ years, but I still remember things he taught me.  My father-in-law has become my second father to a great extent.  I'm very fortunate to have the dads in my life.

Arla, those runs happen occasionally. 

Having a get together tonite at my place.....burgers, fresh salsa, a potato thingy DW is making, a beautiful looking chocholate pie of some kind.  Music and fun will also be on the menu.

Later on, my friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Arla - Good to hear from you!  Yep, those crappy runs happen every once in awhile.  You had a good attitude.  Hopefully things are settling down with regard to your mom.

Ev - Hang on!  I'm comin' to the party, too!

BK's doing better, but I had to take him in for more fluids today.  It's a bacteria infection, which can be treated with antibiotics, but the vet thinks it's in the duct between his liver and intestines.  He's eaten a little bit, but not enough.  And unless he's asleep on the bed, he won't let me near him.  Let's see, in two days he's been to the vet twice, and three times I've had to burrito wrap him to get antibiotics down his throat.  Yeah, he's not real happy with me.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Who's partying w/o me?!    DH tells me that we're invited to a BBQ tonight - Carne Asada style....he asked what we should bring - I said Sauza & salt!   "potato thingy's" sound interesting though!!

Jim & Lynda:   Dammit!!!~ & Condolences!! Was hoping, along with you, that this would be a better year!  ....How bad is the loss in light of day?  I read your post to Doug while we were coming home last night...he'll be checking in w/relatives this eve I'm sure... the Aurora mess was a little too close for comfort too...relations wise.....Hope your race went well! BTW:  animals are excellent judges of character!   cat people or no, cats don't adopt just anybody!

Joe:  ty. & nice looking log to you too!   If you're looking at my maps I'd probably better start mixing it up a bit more, huh?  Free access to all the National Parks this weekend!!  Woo-Hoo!!   on graduations....I dunno what's the hardest - the 1st, or the youngest!!!

Carol: {{{fingers crossed for Scooter}}} hope that turns out well. & have fun w/your company! Great excuse for BBQ's & laughter!!  think I missed the boat on those shorts..  link says they're gone gone gone....ah, I probably have enough stuff anyways...just have a hard time resisting clearance sales!

Ditto on {{{{{Leslie's BK}}}}}}  my kitties (when I had them) would take anything disguised as tuna!

Arla: sounds like you need a little R&R maybe?! ~ as soon as Mom's all settled in perhaps?  You still have some time before classes resume I assume?

Still working on this every day thingy. I think it's helping/working ...last night's run was a little tough to get in....the whole day just dissolved into a steady stream of plate juggling....finally got to put on my shoes about 9:30 last night for a little bit...did a little bit more this am ~ under cooler, cloudy-but-not-stormy skies.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!    Happy Father's Day to those applicable!

Ciao!~

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

22 miles in 5:25 this a.m. in the forest.  LOTS of climbing, and my legs are ty-red, and so was Charlie  Dog.  Scheduled for 3 turns up the 14/8/12 combo, which is climbing, climbing and more climbing for 2 miles, then pounding down for 2 miles.  There was a lot of walking during the 3rd round.  Then had another 9 miles to go.  Took . . . a bit . . . of time.  This was the longest run I've done since my marathon last October.

Now I'm off to the ball park to watch the Humboldt Crabs play http://www.humboldtcrabs.com/.  Oldest, continuous  semi-pro baseball team in the country.  I believe this is the 65th year.  My DH was the asst coach for 4 years, then the head coach for 10.  This is our 5th year of not being involved, but my legal prof group is having a BBQ there.  Don't think I'll make it through a double header, though.

BK seems to have taken a turn for the better.  Yea!!  He soakin' up some fresh on the deck right now.

You all have a great weekend.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance