Masters Running

Sunday 2/14 Daily: I Heart Running (Read 440 times)

Tramps

Lou—don’t panic.  Steady build-up on your solid base and you’ll be fine.  (I’m thinking maybe I’ll join you and PDR at the ½ since this weather’s thrown a wrench in my marathon miles.)

BCM—nice going; you might just surprise yourself.

Perch—another step in your amazing recovery.

Mari—I like the idea of “Friendship and Love Day”  (No, major roads weren’t safe, which is why I stuck to my little 2.5 mile road which has almost no traffic.)

CNY—boy howdy, that’s fast!  Isn’t that 20 at near MP pace for you?

Nono—I forgot Chinese New Year!  Thanks for the reminder.

Holly—inside or outside, miles are miles.  You got it done.  Congrats on the mileage PR!

Stumpy—glad the foot’s feeling better.  (Yes, this was my laps run; I’m getting used to it now.)

PDR—I’m really impressed you got a 40 mile week with this weather.  Cool that your volunteering; you’ll have to tell us how it goes.  Hey, that’s the line I use on what I tell my sweetie, too. 

I meant to mention, our Valentine’s 4-miler—postponed from last week due to the weather—was officially cancelled late this week since the park in which it takes place is still buried in snow.  Weird start to the Grand Prix series.

Be safe. Be kind.

PDR, nice to see you back and love the baby picture!

Holly, MegaMileage, wow!

Only did 5.26 of a planned 8 miler.

I wore a different pair of shoes today, ones that caused me some foot pain a year ago, but I changed the inserts thinking that would help.  So about 3.5 miles into my 8 mile run, yep, the pain started showing up.  I cautiously ran back to a park bathroom and called for a ride home.  I didn't think I could make it another 3 miles home without the pinched feeling getting a lot worse.  This was probably the smartest thing running-wise I have ever done.  I will be giving the shoes away.  None of my other shoes have ever done this.

Tetsujin - my father just sent me an article from the Toronto Star on Barefoot running and how it reduces hip rotation torque 54%, knee torque 38% and knee flexion (whatever that means) torque 36%.  I'm tempted to get some vibrams.

Ok, so being Canadian I feel bad I missed the opening ceremonies.  I'm going to watch some video stream on the computer when I get a chance.  DH said K.D. Lang's voice was amazing.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good evening, gang!

Tramps - nice long run.  I'd forgotten about the archer.

Lou - good to see you're past your injury and running again!

Karin - Happy Anniversary of sorts!

Holly - your DS is better than a computerized thermostat!

Helen - I lived in Baton Rouge for a number of years - I loved the time we spent there - good food and great people.  Google King Arthur Flour and go to their website.  They have a good recipe which I didn't discover until after I ordered their King Cake kit.  The kit was quick and easy, but it'll be cheaper to use their recipe next year.  

Erika -  this is a King Cake.  The tiny plastic baby is baked inside.  The lucky recipient of the baby piece is "King" for the day (and they get the dubious honor of providing the next King Cake).  In Louisiana,  there are several days of King Cakes leading up to Fat Tuesday.   

DH ordered 35 pounds of beads (60 dozen) to hand out at work - probably enough to celebrate Fat Tuesday for the next several years (the man doesn't believe in moderation).  

Yep, I did almost 3 hours at the gym yesterday.  DH was doing a long run, and I had to do something to kill time.  I did take today off completely.  Took most of the day to bake two cakes.  I always forget how long it takes yeast  dough to rise twice.  I'm glad Mardi Gras only comes once a year.  

Have a great weekend!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

Nono – sometimes you just have too many things working against your run.  In spite of the heat, I think it is so much easier to train for a fall marathon than a spring one. 

I hear ya!  It figures that the year I sign up to do two early ones, voila: record of recorded snow smashed in my area.   Oh well. 

I also think my thermostat is broken. Mine, as in my bod's...because Renee and I went out at 3 pm, and I was dressed right,, and after running out of the wind, after I turned and ran into the wind, and into the sun (the way I actually like it), my body just couldn't adjust the temperature to a new comfortable.  And, I had all the right clothes on -- I was really set up to knock out the rest of my miles.  Couldn't do it. Came home and crawled under the super warm comforter for an hour.

Still 4+ a little more short for today. I may walk on the tm tonight just to get my miles up after we go out to dinner with our neighbors and kids.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Where did the tradition of babies in cakes come from?

Our TV hasn't been getting many stations since the switchover to digital last year, and we were bummed that we couldn't see the Olympics, so today we readjusted the antenna and re-synched the TV, and  now we can see them!  Yatah! 

Nice long runs for lots of you today. 

It finally stopped snowing here about 2 pm and the sun came out, and I headed out for 4 easy Garmin-less yaktrax miles with my two best fuzzy running buddies.  We only got about 3" of new snow and the county hadn't plowed, maybe because it's Sunday, or maybe because that's hardly enough to bother plowing, so the whole run was on untracked snow except a few tire tracks in the neighborhood; none on our dead-end road.  It was lovely!  At one point, the dogs stopped to pee or sniff or something, and when I stopped, I noticed how quiet it was.  I love being out in the woods in the snow on a still, quiet day. I just stood there and enjoyed the stillness for a while. It kind of reminded me of Robert Frost's poem - "the woods are lovely, dark, and deep."  Except the woods were filled with bright sunshine which was blindingly bright with all the new snow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Congrats on your PR week, Holly! That's a lotta miles, for sure. And yeah, I do much better on either out-and-back runs, or point to point. Those loop things just do not work for me. And unlike you, I might not have finished on the treadmill, either.

Sue, no wonder they call it Fat Tuesday. Looks like a big iced bagel! Fun traditions, would be fun to know more about how it all started. (Yeah, Carolyn, who would've thought to do that??)

My long runs have been hard the last couple of weeks. I bailed last week after doing too many hills early on in the run, but it was actually just 1.2 miles short of goal. Today had 17 on the schedule, and I'd already hedged my bets against doing the full distance by adding a mile to Wednesday and Saturday's runs. That way, I wouldn't feel too bad about quitting at 15. But, once I got out there, and made it to 14.5, I knew I just had to finish. All the hills were behind me and the rest was just a flat run to DH's office where my car was waiting for me (see? this sort of trick works for me). 

17.3 miles, 8:41 avg pace. Most miles in the 8:45 range, and miles 15, 16 & 17 were 8:33, 8:34 and 8:22, so I got the fast finish I was hoping for. Yay! A good long run. This has been a good week, with a total of 45.6 miles. Not where I want to be at this point in the game, but gives me hope I can make it work.

Oh, the temperature was about 18-20, so pretty nice and I just wore my tights and tech shirts with the wool vest under. Was just right... but there was enough of a breeze that my chin and cheeks got very cold at times. I had the neck gaitor and a headband, and did have to adjust that get up a few times.

...and when I stopped, I noticed how quiet it was.  I love being out in the woods in the snow on a still, quiet day. I just stood there and enjoyed the stillness for a while. It kind of reminded me of Robert Frost's poem - "the woods are lovely, dark, and deep."  Except the woods were filled with bright sunshine which was blindingly bright with all the new snow.

Fantastic image.

I'm still on sick leave, but this really makes me want to hit some of the snowy trails near me.

Lots of great runs today! And a sighting of the Beers.

Grrr.....Must. Get. Better. Walt.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tetsujin - my father just sent me an article from the Toronto Star on Barefoot running and how it reduces hip rotation torque 54%, knee torque 38% and knee flexion (whatever that means) torque 36%.  I'm tempted to get some vibrams.

Thanks Enkie. I missed you yesterday. The Northwest Runner being sampled out at the V-Dash also features an article on the benefits of running barefoot that is actually about Vibrams.  However, it's kind of like quitting smoking by switching to filters, cigars or snuff.  You can come even closer to running barefoot with thongs or the drug store variety aquasock water shoes available in the summertime, or I have extras, even socks with insoles glued to the outside. .  <<<(stpat'sdash/stpat'sdash>>>  Bet yet to practice running barefoot in bare feet a couple of blocks at a time on a smooth surface pavement bike path or something once in a while.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Nice run Tramps

That's moving CNY!!!

Kewl PR Holly!

Nice run WIldchild

Get Better Walt!!! You must.

12.6 miles...The first 8.4 were with my fuzzy partner.

SteveP