Masters Running

Sun Aug 9 runs and whatevers :-) (Read 397 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Just catching up with the news here from the past couple of days.

(((Tim)))  - bummer, man!

Congrats on the nice races for Walt (1st OA!), Erika (1st AG), Buckeye (10K PR), and Nono (5K PR).
    Also nice runs for Amie (26.5 miles), Sue (20 miles), Leslie (15.25 trail miles) and Enkie (over 6 miles!).

Congrats to Craneium on your masters degree!

I agree!  I just spent 15 minutes writing something like this, but you did it better.    Don’t worry about the July miles – take your time.  This is a busy time of year.

Lots of great running today as well, including some impressive LRs from CNYrunner and WRFB (20+), Spareribs (15K race), and Nono (after a race yesterday).

Long travel day yesterday, and we finally got home and tumbled into bed just before midnight last night.  I got up at 5:45am in an attempt to beat the heat and to get back into Eastern Standard time.  It was 76° and very humid when I set out for my run, feeling travel-worn and depleted from the start.  After 4 miles I knew that I wasn’t going to do my scheduled 20 today.  After 11 miles I started taking short walk breaks periodically.  After 2 hours it was into the low 80’s and I gave up and headed toward home.  14 miles total, mostly at about 9:54.

ETA - Dg - congratulations on your first-ever 14-miler!  And it sounded like you had the same run as I did, which was pretty darn tough in that H&H.  Believe me, it's a lot easier to do it in cooler temps.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Debbie, you picked a heck of a day to do your first 14-miler! Summer finally arrives in Michigan (wonder if Byll brought it with him and it will stop when he goes back to FL?). I wimped out totally and settled for 4 miles on the treadmill.

I'll have to catch up later with the races that I'm reading about here -- got to get ready to do some grilling on the back patio.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

WTG dg!! Seems like yesterday was C25K!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

{{{Steve P}}}

{{Timbo}}

Ran 7 miles today. Longest run since the marathon the end of June. It's taken me quite some time to get back into a groove, but we've had a couple of very nice and cool mornings, so I've been trying to take advantage of them. This a.m. was a bit warm though by the time I finished, since I lazed around in bed and didn't get going on my run until after 9 a.m.   I threw in a few steep hills in my run today, which made it slow. Averaged out a 10 min/mile pace, but had to take a few walk breaks here and there as well.

Tammy

Maniac 505

Tim,  that sux.  heal quick!

Lazy 5 for me today,  legs still feel a bit dead?  got out a little late and it was a little warm.

SteveP

DG rocks the thread!!!! Well done.

There was the kewlest thing ever at the store. There's these waffle cones, but made into bowls. Can you believe it?  DW is outta town for the week, so I'm eatting every meal from these. No dishes to wash!!! I mean other than silverware and I can just wipe those on my jeans and we're good to go!! SaWeet!!

SteveP

dg.

Holly, I almost did that same thing last night.    started to post, looked back, & Sue had already said what I wanted to say.   And said it better.  ;-).   thanks!   yours was extra tough... after travel (glad you're back safely!)  and getting up early with the time change.  phew.   I almost stopped at 6 miles.

Doug you are so right!    my evil plan picked it, not me.   I thought about it but couldn't see any other way I could fit it in.  I don't have enough fluff in this plan to skip it.      oh.... am thinking about the Crim..  And thanks for your advice the other day.   good timing. 

Perch,  thanks!

Tammy... I thought about you & all the hot weather you've been having while I was sweating running today.   I'm glad you had a good one this time. 

off to Lowes to buy trim.  

There was the kewlest thing ever at the store. There's these waffle cones, but made into bowls. Can you believe it?  DW is outta town for the week, so I'm eatting every meal from these. No dishes to wash!!! I mean other than silverware and I can just wipe those on my jeans and we're good to go!! SaWeet!!

Thanks. You've let the women of the world know what men are really like.

(Do those bowls come in "nacho cheese" flavor? If so, I'm there like white on rice.)

Great racing for Buckeyechamp (big PR), mtnchk (pacing daughter), nono (PR), Twocat's wife, and ribs. bike, I'm sorry to hear about your calf.  I hope it's not as bad as it sounds and you don't have to spend to much time on the DL. steve, that's a bummer about the Baker's cyst.  I hope this is something that doesn't take too long to heal.

Nice long runs for sue (with husband), fatozzig (on trail), nono, Walt, Tramps, CNY, sarge (hilly and with wife), WRFB, PDR, dg (longest ever and on worst day of the year for H and H), and holly (the twin of dg's run).

This morning, I had the weather dg, holly, and roch mentioned - low to mid 70s at the start and humid.  I got in 6 miles in a little under 59:30 for a 9:53 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

aww,  thanks Steve.        I hope you aren't off long.   but very happy about your bowls.   has Tag tried them?

TomS, thanks to you too.  You're feeling better?  Sounds like it.  I'm so glad.  this made me laugh "holly (the twin of dg's run)."  That's not something we're likely to see again soon!!

Tim, I really hope (like has already been said) that this turns out better than expected. 

too many good things, & as one of the medium early risers I really want to finish up a few things & get some sleep.  can I just say a global way to go & you will all know that it is sincere?  ok, I'll at least say wow Karin & beers.   & Mrs. Twocat.  and ...  no, have to stop.  Sarge, nice run in blessed warmth.    No More.

good night all.

great runs out there today!!   i agree karin - totally impressive and Deb -- woohoo!!

((Tim))  you really need a break - hope it's not a serious injury

((SteveP)) hope your knee heals quickly -- think i might need to buy some of those bowls for my sons!!

7 miles for me tonight

1.5 miles to the beach

4 on the sand - 2 out were great then 2 back were into the wind - really tough

1.5 miles back to the campground

total time 1:12:52 with my 1st and last mile being identical time!!

running along the ocean really helps heal my mind and soul -- we had 2 really good days  with Justin this week but last night and today were brutal......i really hope we find out what will help him..........for me, running along the ocean was cathartic and therapeutic - nothing like the magnificence of the ocean to make me feel powerful, serene and thankful for all the good moments we get...............good night my friends.

denise

Denise - I'm sorry to hear things are still so tough with your son.  Please know you and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Tim - You have had more than your share of crappy things happen to you.  Keeping fingers crossed it's not as bad as it sounds.

SteveP - Use the waffle bowl with your cold cereal.

Lots of good racing out there today.  Special for Ribs.

All of you running in the H& should come visit me up in cool Northern CA.  Very drippy run this a.m., from sweat and heavy fog.  Felt good the entire 6 miles and finished in 58:11.  Came home, mowed, and tried to weed wack, but that %^&(* weed wacker - .  I was just about to stomp it to death when The Hub came home.  Thinks a tune up will help it.  Tune up or a sledgehammer - I know my preference.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Denise, hope you figure out what's up with your son - good luck!

I ran 7 miles this morning with my dogs in lovely cool temps - 47 when I started and 53 when I got home!  Then went and hung out with the family all day - we went to the rodeo, which turned out to be a team penning competition - kind of fun to watch.  Then we came to my house and hung out playing various instruments - guitar, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, clarinet, gong...  very musical family. Kind of corny, but we like singing together!  Then back to the rental house for dinner and more music, and card games and banter.  I'm lucky to have such a fun family.  There were 15 of us in all - this is just the immediate family, not counting cousins and aunts and uncles who we saw Friday and Saturday.  My daughter had a blast hanging out with all her cousins, too - 4 girls and 2 boys, all between 13 and 19.  We'll be sorry to see them all go home tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.