Masters Running

Hi! (Read 340 times)

Thanks guys, and I'd love to do more walking, but unfortunately even walking aggravates the left knee after about two or three miles. Sad It seems my knee caps are flat on the bottom rather than triangular, so they sort of float on top rather than tracking properly. This has caused the cartilage to wear unevenly, and on the left knee it's pretty much rubbing bone on bone right now. So for the time being I'm taking some meds for the inflammation and stuff, and doing PT. We're hoping that strengthening the quads, and loosening up the IT band will help the kneecaps go back where they belong and alleviate the problem. If not, it will probably require some surgery - which I really don't want. In the meantime, I can do the elliptical as well as anything, as long as I don't exceed about half an hour. I'm still hoping to be back to running in time for the Bolder Boulder, and I've already entered the Chicago Distance Classic half marathon in August, so keep your fingers crossed for me. And meanwhile I'll live vicariously through all of you! Big grin
    "I think I can, I think I can..."
    arf

MM #405

Hi Lil E!!! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. Hope you are doing well arf
      Cashmason

Good to hear from you. Hope those knees get back in shape enough for you to run again. And keep posting even if you arent running. Cash
          youch - sounds painful!! sorry you're going thru this with your knees - hope the PT and strengthening exercises do the job!!

denise

seemomgo

Well, there you are!!! I was wondering where you went. Email me your cell number again as the one I have doesn't work. I think I'll do the Bolder Boulder also. What's happening with MotorMouth and Turbo??? Job? You still seeing Dr. Albert? I keep looking for you there! Don't be a stranger! Just because you aren't running doesn't mean you can't post! We need your humor and wit!!! COME BACK!!! We also need more Colorado presence!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Lil, not that I would know anything about it or anything like that but, instead of trying to figure out artificial footwear and orthotics that often never mesh with the knee’s naturally unimpeded movements, maybe see if some barefoot slow-running/walking might build up a better mesh with your knee situation. I know one guy with a niggling knee who was told to run barefoot to strengthen ankle and knees in the right places instead of where shoes dictated muscle memory get reshaped to fit the shoes instead. Good luck and stick around as much as you can. ps - I'm living proof that you don't have to run that much to post herein as I've only run three times in the last three weeks but post like it's been 85 miles. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Well, there you are!!! I was wondering where you went. Email me your cell number again as the one I have doesn't work. I think I'll do the Bolder Boulder also. What's happening with MotorMouth and Turbo??? Job? You still seeing Dr. Albert? I keep looking for you there! Don't be a stranger! Just because you aren't running doesn't mean you can't post! We need your humor and wit!!! COME BACK!!! We also need more Colorado presence!
                Yes! I was going to ask about Littler Engines but I couldn't recall the nicknames! Thanks C-mom! Lil E, I agree, we need more Colorado here. I'll never forget that lovely photo of you in blue as you finished a race... was DD dressed in blue, too?
                LaVita
                  Ditto the welcome back! Say Coloradians, any favorites at the Trials Sunday? I've always enjoyed following Elva Dryer's (from Gunniston) running; she comes across in interviews as really down to earth--I loved how she apologized to reporters at the Denver full/Half Marathon after winning the half--she was scheduled to do 15 or 16 that day, and had to keep going! I get Colorado Runner as there's nothing comparable here, and I run a fair amount there. Take care of those knees--my mom had to have a replacement and I agree with your approach in wanting to try and avoid surgery. Don't be a stranger! grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles