Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 1/3/10 (Read 678 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for people who are over 40 years old who run 40 miles/week or more. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard...

Here’s what I have for last week’s tally.  Let me know if I missed you.

Who

Miles

Commentary

Rasmussenmp

Nice intervals.  How much rest do you put in between?

CNYrunner

Nice to have an airplane break

Holly

2nd highest mileage week ever

BCMorant

Nice mileage tally for the year, Bruce.

Pfriese

Snow days do make running difficult

ResurrectedRunr

Nice job, and happy marathon training! 

MrPHinNJ

Time to get serious again?

Seilerts

Welcome! 

Runhikebird

56° - (wistful longing)...

Buckeye

I love your avatar!

Slimbo

???

Out for the holidays

Mainerunnah

???

Out for the holidays

Here’s my tentative plan for the week.  I may rearrange a bit, depending on the weather.

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

1-3

0 miles

Rest day

Tuesday

6-8

9 miles

Intervals on the TM

Wednesday

5-6

5 miles

Recovery pace on TM

Thursday

1-5

12 miles

Tempo, miles 3-6 at (8:45, 8:32, and 8:21)

Friday

7-10

4 miles

Easy pace

Saturday

6-7

18 miles

Easy pace

Sunday

14-18

7 miles

Easy pace

Total

?

55 miles

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I Can Go The Distance

Hi Holly,

Looking forward to another year of 40/40. Thanks for keeping this thread going throughout 2009.

Happy New Year to all 40/40 runners. Hope you have a great year of running.

This week I am uping my mileage to 55 miles so my week should look like this:

Monday 7 mi easy Done

Tues 7 mi-3.5 mi wu 3 mi tempo run Done

Wed 7 mi easy Done

Thurs 7 mi easy Done

Fri 15 mi LR Done

Sat 5 mi recovery Done

Sun 8 mi easy Done

Total 56

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Florida

Looking at 37 +/- so as to ramp back up to 40 a week from now. 

Day

Plan

Actual

Commentary

Monday

?

53 degrees and windy .. 8:04 per mile .. left calf a little stiff from yesterday's race

Tuesday

?

52 degrees and crisp .. 7:43 per mile

Wednesday

?

Travel to JAX for the Gator Bowl and goodbye to Bobby

Thursday

?

7:55 per mile on a damp, overcast morning .. Gator Bowl parade this afternoon 

Friday

?

7:55 per mile in a 52 degree light rain .. Off to the Gator Bowl

Saturday

?

8:00 per mile in 47 degree breezy conditions 

Sunday

?

7:42 per mile in 45 degree overcast conditions

Total

?

Solid week .. Should hit 40 next week

Prince of Fatness

Thanks Holly.  Happy New Year everyone.

Day Miles Comment
          Mon 7.26
          Easy
          Tue 0 Yoga
          Wed 8.42 40 minutes tempo
          Thu 6.60
          Easy
          Fri 4.81
          Easy
          Sat 8.95 Icy
          Sun 6.98
          Easy
          Total 43.0

Saturday's run got shortened due to ice on the canal towpath.  I guess I'll need to hit the streets for my long runs for the time being.

Not at it at all. 

Hi All,

Just barely made it last week, but it is still the first time to crest 40 mpw in a few years.  It is a great feeling, right RessurectedRunr?  Still running indoors on the TM due to brutally cold (for us) weather here in Santa Fe. 

Day

Plan

Actual

Notes

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Dinner with DW

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Total

Feeling great!

Happy New Year Holly and fellow 40/40ers

I am just happy to be going into 2010 without an injury and with a decent base. 

Here's hoping we all hit our marks in 2010.

12/28-----4 mile recovery run----------4.2

12/29-----8-10 steady with strides----10 windblown miles with striders

12/30-----6 with hill repeats---8 with hill repeats

12/31-----8-----7 easy

1/1--------4-5 easy----4.2 easy

1/2--------WMAC Fat Ass 50k---41 kms or 26 miles of the Fat Ass run----TOO COLD and WINDY and I was the only one out there after 20-----that was enough thank you. :-)

1/3--------2-3 easy---4.2

core/weights 3x

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Thanks again Holly for your efforts in keeping this thread moving along.

First week of my next 18 week marathon training schedule.  This one will cap at 85 miles.  An increase of 10 miles per week over my last 6 schedules where I maxed at 75 miles per week.  Goal marathon is 5/9/10 Fort Collins Old Town Marathon, Fort Collins, CO (goal time 3:15).  Although I will be running a few more as long training runs.

Mon:  5 miles - 4 miles recovery pace, nice and easy

Tues:   9 miles including 4m @ tempo - 12 miles including 4 miles @ (7:03 ave), legs felt very good, plus the movie was good so I ran a few extra.

Wed:  12 miles - 12.0 miles including 9.5 miles @ 7:25 pace (my hopeful MP), legs felt good even after yesterdays run.

Thurs:  10 miles - 7.0 miles recovery paced.  Runnig short of time to get everything done, so cut the run short.

Fri:  10 miles - 13.5 miles just a little faster than recovery paced, but still fairly easy.  had a little more time today.

Sat:  6 miles - 7.0 miles recovery paced

Sun: 17 miles - 10.0 miles aerobic paced, tummy not feeling very well so cut the run short.

Total:  65.7 miles

Holly - my 1/4 mile intervals last week were done with a 1/4 mile @ 8:30 pace "rest".

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Marathon Maniac #957

Hi All,

Just barely made it last week, but it is still the first time to crest 40 mpw in a few years. 

I see you're running a 50-miler on 5/22.  That's quite a ramp-up in a short amount of time.  I'm sure you already know this, but just be careful there.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Holly,

Yes, the Jemez 50 is one of the toughest 50 milers, probably third behind Zane Grey and San Juan Solstice.  But that also means that a good portion is hiking rather than running.  It also help a lot that I can train on the course.  I'm just planning to let my base creep up to 50 mpw over the next few months of easy TM, road and trail, then hit the high trails when the snow melts.  Probably get serious about weekly tempo and repeats after a few more weeks at 40+.  Most of my running career has been trail marathons/ultras rather than road races -- this is old hat in some ways but I also know how easy it is to get injured, especially AT.  Thanks for the note.  Thanks a bunch for managing this thread!  The motivation is fantastic!!!

Scott

MM #7877

Thank you Holly. I'm thinking I will post here for awhile.

2009 was a year of recovery. The last few months of the year was spent building up a base and I would do 40 miles 2 or 3 weeks, then have a cut back week. Nearly 98% of my miles were at a jog pace. My current "training" plan is to get in 40-45 miles a week and progressively run harder increasing my pace. I want to start tossing in some progressively longer runs and get built back up to half marathon shape. 

M

T 7

W 5 m am; 6 M pm.
                      Equals 1400 miles for 2009. Not bad considering I had to take off Jan - 1/2 of April.
                      T 0
                      Finished 2009 with 19 - 40 miles weeks from June - Dec.
                      F 6

S 6

S 6  
                      Total  43 m.
                       Does this count as 40x40 #20 for 2k9? or #1 for 2010?

Philippians 4:13.

Happy New year!

Back in Ohio after two weeks in Fla .... Grey skies ... cold and snow  Oh well May is just right around the corner ... right.

Managed 25 miles last week and actually felt good at end of last two runs ... its been a long time since feeling good.

Probably going to ease back into thing probably aim for 30ish for first two weeks of Jan and Build to 40 on way to first race of 2010 March 7th - Catch a Leprecaun 15K (Only 15K in area for the year so have a soft 1:21 PR to smash) ; then on to 2 - 3  Halfs in April and May to hopefully get sub 1:40 as primary goal for 2010. 

If can achieve decent speed at 15k to half will make a another run at Fall 2010 Marathon.  Will be nice having a season with out the beast looming.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

pfriese

Holly,

I'll need a free pass this week as I've been sick with cold, cough, bronchitis, crud. Hopefully I'll be better next week.

M - 8 miles

T - 3 miles

W - 8.4 miles

Th - sick

F - sick

Sa - sick

Su - sick

Total - 19.4 miles

Paul

Hi Holly and the rest of the 40/40's ... Happy New Year ... managed to run over 2000 miles in 2009 when my goal last Jan was 1500 - 2 marathon's and a whole bunch of PR's at various distances.  The running has been pretty inconsistent over the the past month as life and work have become pretty busy. -- also managed to tack on 10 lbs over the the holidays -- wow!  Haven't really had a 40+ week in the last 5 ... although I am going to figure out a Spring Marathon and then get my schedule squared away and ramp up again ... may not post for the next week -- but I will be back.  Healthy running for everyone in 2010!  Tim

2012= under-goaled

Every Mile is a Gift

I didn't have a pre-set plan going into this week, since I ran an impromptu half marathon on the 31st. Here's how the week played out (40.7 miles total):

Mon  3.5  recovery
                               Tue  11.6  hard trail run
                               Wed  off  
                               Thurs  13.1  Last Chance Half Marathon - 1:42:17 (PR)
                               Fri  off  
                               Sat  8  easy
                               Sun  4.5

recovery

Often injured, NEVER giving up.

Every Mile is a Gift

Scott,

Yes, it is a great feeling! Congrats on making it over 40! I just had my third 40+ mile week in a row. I don't think I've even done that, even back in my high-school days. Like you, I'm feeling good. Keep it up!

Often injured, NEVER giving up.