Masters Running

November 1st Daily, 2012 (Read 404 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

V. busy day, so a quick post: 4.23 ez racewalking miles at 4:05am - 10 degrees cooler than yesterday at 44F (getting back to normal). I survived the first day standing at the stand-up - it was good. I also survived the first day of DW being away - made pasta for dinner (Wednesday is pasta night at our house) with fresh veggies and some spicy sausage. I did some preliminary number crunching for last Saturday's 5K, and it looks like we cleared about $20K, which'll make our board happy.

Enjoy your first day of November!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Top 'O the World!

Morning folks!  Hope the weather is finally starting to settle down for youse out on the right coast~mid-west areas! Downright Gorgeous out here in CO! A bit 'warmer than normal' at the moment. EZ cruise w/the furbaby planned here in just a minute....or three. Then I must get some work done & run around like a lunatic pack to head out to join Wildchild in Moab. 

WHAT have I gotten myself into!?!? ShockedRoll eyes 

Marathon: Set a PR for your WOW factor on this course! This course is unique and wild. The canyons around Moab are unlike anywhere in the world, and this course conquers some of the most spectacular! You will travel through narrow canyons with spectacular vertical walls on both sides and along the rim-tops of deep canyons with spectacular vistas every direction. The terrain changes frequently to keep the miles clicking and includes narrow single-track, rugged jeep trails, sandy washes, ‘Moab-style slickrock’, a short section of dirt road, a few sections of no-track, a very old mining trail and a couple sections of fixed line traverse. Views will take your breath away, and include the spectacular red rocks of “Behind the Rocks Wilderness” and “Amasa Back” area, also view the sheer vertical walls of Pritchett, Hunter and Kane Creek Canyons and views into Canyonlands National Park. In the distance are the beautiful 12,000 foot La Sal Mountains. You’ll pass by several arches, lots of lizards, some really cool and funny looking rocks, possible eagles and hawks, some neat ancient pictographs, a couple small creeks and springs, and our friendly aid station volunteers who will be there to hydrate and fuel you in some of the craziest spots! The elevation gain and loss is about 3500 ft. There are two major climbs, one at the beginning which is nice and gradual, and one just after the ½ way point which is shorter and steeper. There are several other short climbs and descents throughout the course. The top runners will run all but the fixed rope section and are expected to finish in less than 4 hours. Average runners will do a combo of running with a bit of walking and are expected to finish in the 5 to 6 hr range. If you want to feel ecstatic and in awe after a race, then this one is for you!

& more here: http://moabtrailmarathon.com/pdf/race-day%20information%202012.pdf   I particularly like the "death or injury" notations.....

At least the weather will be great! Sunny 37/68

DH & I head out early in the morning for the 6 hr drive. Carolyn/Wildchild & DH are already out there hiking, as well as a good sized contingent of our Boulder class A's. ...I hope they save me a beer or two!! It should be a great gathering & a gorgeous course Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Slo

Mtnchk1...Looks like fun!  Sounds very technical.

Jay, excellent job on the 5k.

Just shy of 10 miles this morning.

As a Pre-dawn runner I have seen 100's of shooting stars, spectacular moons and some breathtaking sunrises. This morning i got a taste of them all.

Mariposai

Mtnchk1, have fun!

I sure hope that OrangeMat has a chance to run the NYC marathon because she is ready for a huge PR!!!!

I don't know much about bike, either. My Carmen is second hand and her seat is now days way more comfortable thanks to some new seats I got from tetsujin! But the picture posted yesterday looks very nice.

Slow, what a cool 10 miler you had today. Shooting stars and all.

Unlike Slow's weather we woke up again to more rain. While I enjoy running in the rain, this one was coming down too hard, so I decided to RAW. 

Last night I had a lot of fun volunteering at the Hallelujah Carnival a local church organizes each year for kids in the community. It was sure fun seeing kids have a blast in a safe environment. That place was a zoo. Ohh, and I wore my butterfly mask that tetsujin got for me in Japan. Pictures to come later. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Planned rest day for me although I may go for a walk at lunch time just to give my brain a rest.

I hope they can run the NYC Marathon too.  Lots of people have been aiming for it for a long time.  I have niece running it as her first marathon and my brother was going to make the trip there to cheer her on.  They have been looking forward to the weekend for a while.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mtnchk - sounds like an awesome run!

Dave - my problem with bikes is that no matter which bikes they are or how I move the seats and handelbars, my back always seems to be slightly hunched, and over time it's my back that gets sore.

4.3 miles for me on the TM again, working my way through my PBS series.

I'm taking tomorrow off to take the kids down to the Cincinatti Museum Center (they are off school this week for fall break).  Since I have to get up at 5am with DH anyway, I figured I would do my LR then as well.

DH and I are going to an educational talk on estate planning that my boss is giving tonight.  (We are encouraged to educate our spouses about this stuff, and to go through the process our clients do, which starts with one of these talks.)  Anyway, they serve a nice dinner after, and it is at an italian restaurant, so I consider it a good carb-loading opportunity for tomorrow's run.  Joking

Anyone ever used airbnb.com to rent an apartment for a marathon?

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

, a few sections of no-track,

MtnChk,

Hmmmm, sounds very,....interesting.  And of course beautiful.

It was still pouring rain this morning, again.  Ugh.  My legs are finally ready, although still a bit twingy, but the mind was not, especially thinking about going out in the pitch black pouring rain.  Hopefully I can get some mojo from somewhere to do a run tonight, while there is still some light.

Erika, Tet, I think a run along Magnolia Bluff to Discovery Park would be a great idea, although I am not goiing to run there from downtown!  I am willing to pick up passengers in my car.....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Word is the NYC marathon is on.  Personally, I am happy to hear that. 

<<Warning start of rant.  Perhaps somewhat political.>>

I am really getting fed up with all the "sympathizers" and "do gooders" out there calling on NYC to cancel the marathon.  Some have suggested donating all the fees to relief efforts.  Boy it sure is easy to "do good" with other peoples' money (OPM, say the initials fast to get the idea) is all I can say.  Many people rely on the income the marathon brings in.  I can also tell you a lot of small businesses need the money right now given the losses the blackouts, road closures and transportation failures are causing.  (I personally know several people who are really hurting as a result.)  Every single person that I have seen in print who has called to cancel the marathon has a job whose weekly pay will not be reduced one penny if the race is cancelled.  Here is what I suggest to them, if they think it is important to help fund relief efforts in the NYC area they should write a check from their own account.  If they cannot be bothered to do that then they should stop acting morally superior by suggesting OPM be used.  Last, but no least, a lot of people have put months and a substantial amount of money into training for and arranging to come to the race.  Do they not count?  Sure, how about we add to the damage Sandy has done by helping to pauperize any number of small businesses and toss out everything thousands of people have already sunk into coming to run the race.  Great idea!

<<End rant.>>

Okay I got that off my chest.  My apologies for clogging up the daily with that but the news articles about the race got me worked up and then I saw posts here about all those looking forward to running it and I sort of snapped.  I suppose that I could erase this before posting, but I guess I am hoping some of the "do gooders" comes to their senses.  Although, I must admit it is far more likely they will just get mad at me.

My day:  I saw my orthopedist today.  He told me it was tendonitis of some tendon in my inner and our ankle.  I forget their name.  To cut to the chase, I get to wear a "moon boot" for 4 to 6 weeks and take some anti-inflammatory pill once a day.  After a few weeks if my physical therapist clears me I can run a few miles.  Since none of that will interfere with training for Boston, not so bad.  Now if only my power would come back on!  Word on the street is that it will likely be out until Monday.  Sad

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

rhoon, keep those pictures coming.  I'm sorry to hear that Twocat and OM are without power but glad to hear they've both got places to stay that have power.  henrun & marj, welcome home.  It's nice to hear from bike.  starr, I hope moving your mother to a memory care facility goes well.  Many of us can relate.

Nice long run for Slo.

This morning, it was in the high 30s, windy, and there was a little mist/rain.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

..I vote with TwoCat on the NYC.......

=======

pt xs

double weight sessions

bought ALL the crappe for a borrowed bike

expecting

insects living in the seat,

flat tires,

rusted gears

.........OR

this is OneOfThoseBuddies who may not even remember it's this Saturday

but I'm READY////

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Applauding Twocat's rant!!! 

Dave59- Thanks for the chuckle re your comment of 875 years to pay for the bike. Big grin

Mtnchk - That looks like a marathon I might actually enjoy.  . . . . although my record with the marathon distance is bleak (3 marathons = 3 sucky marathons).

Paavo - I'll have to watch that video when I'm at home with a computer with speakers.

. . . . . . 3,400 kids . . . . . all wanting candy . . . . . . countless times squatting down in front a kid to tell them the rules of the game . . . . . countless times squatting or bending over to pick up the bean bags . . . . loud music . . . . clean up afterward.  My butt is sore, my legs are tired, and I'm beat down tired.  Consequently, no running this a.m.  I did get up in anticipation of running, but sat in the chair for about 10 minutes and absolutely no way.  Wish I could've stayed in bed all day.  Shorty said that when he was in the bathroom after the event closed down, another guy walked in, stopped, and said, "It's quiet."  Big grin

On the plus side of last night (okay - it was all a plus, and I had fun), we spent a few minutes before things got started talking to our pastor.  I'd met him once, and Shorty had never met him.  He's an excellent runner.  Grew up in Oregon, was one the top XC runners in the country, was on the Seattle racing team with the likes of Scott Jurek (BIG name in ultra running), knows other folks who are big in the ultra running scene. etc.   We're talking fast.  So guess what we talked about?!?  Maybe one of these days I'll get up the nerve to ask him to go trail running with me.  The problem is, he's so frigging fast, he'd leave me in the dust.  Oh wait - as a pastor, he's suppose to treat me with the utmost kindness, right?? Wink

We have a mediation going on all day today.  Up the stairs, down the stairs, up the stairs, down the stairs, up, down, up, down.  Who needs running when you're stair climbing all day!

MTA: I did a hunt on the 'net for Matt Messner.  Um, I knew he was a top runner, but I found the following (holy crap!!):

Matt is well known throughout the Northwest for his abilities as a distance runner, having won the Portland Marathon in 1999 and having competed in the 1996 & 2000 Olympic Trials.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

4 miles with the Easy Pacer tonight!

Then a great salmon, green beans, kale greens, quinoa pilaf and pears dinner.

Ohh...the melbec glass of wine was a perfect drink with the meal.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Today (okay, just looked at the clock, make that yesterday...) was the first of what is hopefully a weekly swim workout. After the kids' practice, we swam the evening lap swim. I am sorry to say I only made it 18 laps...I guess I need to do it more than once every year or two. So we'll see if I can get in a bit of a rhythm if I keep going each week. Meanwhile, hoping to run tomorrow, but it is blowing like a banshee out there...

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I'm with you...

Leslie - you're making me tired just reading.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."