Masters Running

Sunday, Dec. 4, '16 (Read 27 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We had a good turnout at yesterday's racewalking training session, including one newbie who came down from Maine. I gave the regular crew a workout, and spend most of my time working with the newbie. As a result, I didn't get in much work myself, and only went about 1.5 miles.

After the session, I went to the indoor farmer's market (got watermelon radishes, 2 colors of carrots, baby beets, potatoes, and leeks). When I got home, DW and I walked into town to watch the local Christmas parade (reportedly the 2nd largest in the state, and always a good time) for a 4-mile round trip walk. I went through our Christmas lights to find some to put on our new little (3') tree in the front yard. Of the many, many strands of lights we bought 3 years ago, only 2 still work. I replaced the fuses on 1 nonworking set, and still nothing. Grrr... So then we went and bought some more lights (not too many - it is a tiny tree). After we deliberated for too long about where to go for dinner, I offered to cook at home if DW would get a fire going in the fireplace. We both did our jobs and had a nice, relaxing evening.

3.5 easy RW miles this morning in breezy 32F temps under clear skies. My hamstrings spoke to me a little bit on some uphills, but otherwise seemed to be enjoying the ride. The real test will be to see how I feel for the rest of today, and how I do tomorrow morning. But so far, I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe I can continue to ease my way back into some regular workouts. And maybe I can be ready to race in Millinocket, ME a year from now.

Have a greta Sunday, especially CNY, LaT, and Hally, who are racing together in western MA.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that sounds like a wonderful way to spend your Saturday.

We had such a lovely time last night at DH's birthday celebration.  Our friends made a lovely dinner and then we played games (darts, blackjack, and pool) and just had a great time with some quality people.

4 miles for me today in a breezy 33 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hope everyone's having a good weekend. Say "Happy Birthday" to your DH for me, Holly! I have more appreciation now for what he puts up with. 

I had a good run yesterday on my usual early Saturday outing, still appreciating being able to run the Paint Creek Trail (that might come to an end when the snow gets here in a few minutes!). I ran 6 miles, about 4 of them with a friend that I hadn't encountered for a while, so lots to catch up on.

Then today I went to our monthly "Bagel Run" at the Metropark and was really tired and dead-legged -- glad to finish 5 miles in a run-walk pattern. Part of it might have been the club Christmas party last night when I had one too many beers ("one too many" these days being defined as two!).

On that subject, our poor club is about half the size it was just a few years ago, and the turnout for the Christmas gathering was the lowest in anyone's memory. Part of this might have been an unfortunate internal dispute that caused some hard feelings and dropped memberships, but in general I think that traditional clubs (you know, the ones where you meet physically in person) are dwindling these days. Or maybe ours is just too old with not enough young blood. How are your clubs doing, if you're in one?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The racing team I'm on only meets at races and once around Christmas time.  I guess they used to do a whole lot of things together before I joined...hmmm...

I went 2 more miles, today...nice and easy.  I hope I'm able to add more miles soon because I am really gaining a lot of weight...or, I could just back off the eating a little bit....I hope I'm able to add more miles, soon.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

TammyinGP

good sunday afternoon all!

didn't pop in yesterday, but I did run yesterday. 3.6 miles at Cathedral Hills with two girlfriends (both who are on the relay team next year) and then another mile when I got home with the dogz.

then I had enough time to decorate the house and get ready for a night out with another girlfriend. We went to one of those "paint and drink wine" things. She's done several of them but this was my first time. it was fun and they make it so easy step-by-step that even someone with no painting talent whatsoever could come up with something that looked half way decent. it was alot of fun.  After that was our annual downtown Christmas parade, so watched that, then went out for a light dinner. it was a fun night out.

Tammy

Holly S. happy birthday to your DH.

coastwalker they have been advertising some gizmo on TV lately that is supposed to find the busted light that is typically responsible for a string being out. I wonder if the thing works? I also wonder if I can recall its name? Nope, not a chance. Sorry.  Really, since I bet some of my lights are out and I will end up having to replace them. 

roachrunner I have been a member of two clubs in my area at one time or another. For the first, I found the group to be pretty insular. After a bit of trying to be social with them I gave up and quit. The second group was great for a long time. I was even quite involved with its administration. I ran the web page and brought whatever I baked up for the group each Saturday. Then I discovered a significant error on the part of the club's president and me. I thought he was my friend. He thought I was his employee. We were both wrong. The dispute was over how and if to implement a club fee of $50. I wanted to try putting out a money drop box with a sign saying please contribute before mandating a fee. If that did not work, then sure we would impose a mandatory membership fee. He wanted to skip the just asking for help step. I said bye, it is your club you run it. He put in the fee. A pile of people quit. A year later I did too. The club's size has never recovered. Club's prosper when they are welcoming to new members. Actively recruit new members. Do not charge outrageously high membership fees.

I spent and hour on the elliptical this morning. Made it through another episode of Fear the Walking Dead. I am nearly through the second season. DW and her friend went off for a 4 mile run. I have 2 more weeks of no running recovery that I hope will fix what I think (hope?) is tendonitis in my big toe.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Late Sunday.

http://lightkeeperpro.com/home/  this  is what you need, TC (and Jay).  They really work, amazingly enough.  Just used mine this afternoon.

I did make it to my race yesterday after getting all of DW's stuff downtown for the Holiday Stroll.  Made it to the start with 10 minutes to spare.  I did a decent time--8:45 pace for 3.4 miles.  I was getting really excited as I scrolled down the finishers list and saw I was the first 60+.  Then I notice the AG brackets.  Another one of the dreaded 40-99 all inclusive Masters groups.  Bleh.  And 5 or 6 of the top 10 finishers were in it.  Instead of 1 of 2 in 60+, I ended up as 22/29.  Oh well, I had fun, and I knew in my mind, I finally got an AG.

Another 3.1 this morning around the lake.  Just a bit slower than yesterday, and a little cooler.  Still nice.

Haven't ever joined a running club.  have joined a group run from our local running store sponsors from time to time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I belong to 2 running clubs and a triathlon group. Both running groups are great and active year round. We have very active FB pages and people meet regularly for group runs on weekdays and weekends. Monthly meeetings get great attendance in both of the running groups too!! The triathlon group actively meets during tri season for group training, try the tri series, and select races. During the off season members meet at a computraining studio. The FB page is somewhat active, but not as much as the 2 runing groups and the monthly meeting attendance is pretty poor. Membership fees range from $25-30/year.

I didn't commit to any races today and was very thankful!! Ran 10 miles with my Sole Sister friends yesterday then had a much later night than planned at DH's work party. Ran just 1.1 miles this morning to stay in the run every day challenge for the holiday season, made pancakes with the hubby, church, then took my youngest son and his gf to the Moscow Ballet Nutcracker at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston. All in all a fantastic day!!!

Have a wonderful week ahead my friends!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Is MikeE gaining weight for ultas?

MARATHON MANIACS CLUB
                    I didn’t know them at the time and never would have known anything except it was at the finish of the pre-Thanksgiving 5K Turkey Trot in 2003 hat, just for the fun of it <<<(ed note: “goofball” )>>> when two of the Big Three founders came over proudly announcing a new running club called “Marathon Maniacs” and did we want to join?
                    I just rolled my eyes feeling sorry for anyone who’d think of a club for running marathons that I just went out and did anyway without that much thought let alone being worthy of being a club.
                    However, in 2005, after running the Seattle-Ghost/Seattle double marathons just to see if I could, I couldn’t deny amy’s grins that I couldn’t deny it any more and, though two years later, became MM#209 instead of MM#22. Now they’ve gotten 200 new members in less than a month.
                    ALL-JAPAN 100-MARATHON JOYFUL RUNNING CLUB
                    I used to run monthly 5/10K fun-runs around the Imperial Palace with the Global Running Society during a sojourn over there in the eighties but could find them in any internet searches when I started going back on a regular basis twenty years later.
                    Then I saw a bunch of old guys counting each others’ laps on the same kind of clipboard the Globals used to use. Turns out they used to be members of the Japan 100-Marathon Club but got booted out when they couldn’t run their 42.195K’s under five hours anymore so, instead of just acquiescing to Global’s shorter races, they transformed it to a club for slower marathoners. Much appreciated. Arigatou.
                    BOOMERS
                    I joined the Boomer Board in 2005 to participate in amy’s bantering with divechief about their news shoes for that Seattle Marathon with divechief having her try to guess mine but not letting her know until she found out I didn’t at the famed out-and-back where she was sneaking by four-or-five unsuspecting guys at her mile 14 (my 10) on her way to another one of her now 130+ AG victories out of some 150 marathons.
                    RAAR
                    Now I love being in the RAAR division of RA even more <<<(aging runners)>>>
                    SEATRI (Seattle Triathlon Club).
                    Monthly meetings and various benefits in the days

when running a half dozen triathons a year was a way of life

instead of the measly one-a-year of shortest distances I can find.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)