Masters Running

Race report for the Thansgiving 2018 weekend (Read 15 times)

Mariposai

Wishing a great race experience to this weekend racers and a happy Thanksgiving to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thans and much gracias Posalina.

sorry my posting is so slow as my running but,

since I don't run enough to have a running log

your weekly rr's are much appreciated.

Seattle Marathon 2018 - 6:31:14 (55 minutes faster than last year)

I’ve been running the Seattle Marathon off-and-on since the Thanksgiving Storm of 1990 when, though I’d already run the titular one-marathon-a-year I’d been doing since 1977 to see if being in shape from skiing, hiking, etc. was a good enough base for running 26.2 miles or not, I was stuck in Seattle with nothing else to do so DOR’ed just to experience what turned out to be a wire-to-wire rain-fest with gale force winds that contributed to the sinking of one of the floating bridges across I-90.  Fortunately, starting from Redmond, Washington, site of a  new local start-up in those days with the odd name of Microsoft, the entire 26.2 miles that year was on the traffic-free Burke-Gilman Bike Path Trail ending up at Gas Works Park, across Lake Union from downtown Seattle.
      Unfortunately, the addition of a half marathon distance soon overwhelmed the initial miles of the B-K and the course eventually changed from the Seattle Center through downtown Seattle, out along Lake Washington and over-and-back on the express lanes of the I-90 replacement floating bridge for the one that sank back in 1990.  However, after 20 years, though, the express lanes have now been usurped by light rail construction designed to reach the now massive, so-called Microsoft “campus” (that’s highly secure and open only to employees) that’s overwhelmed little Redmond.  

As a result, this year, after running out again from under the Space Needle at the Seattle Center through downtown Seattle as in the past 20 years, we ran north on the I-5 express lanes to mile 5 at the University of Washington exit for a 16-mile out-and-back return to the beloved Burke-Gilman Trail.  However, unlike monsoons in 1990, we ran under and on golden-yellow carpets of fall foliage shining under blue skies and warming sunshine replete with even shirtless runners enjoying the unusual weather.  
      Better yet, after a lowly 7:26 finish last year taking it easy with new abdominal mesh implants to hold some errant innards together, this year marked a delightful 55-minute improvement to 6:31.  I think the weather helped too.  
      In addition, for the umpteenth time since 1990 and nearly 200 marathons since then, I got to join up again with fellow Marathon Maniac “Road Kill Rick,” whose first marathon was Seattle in 1978 so that, with Rick’s 630 marathons, we represented 83 different years of running 850 marathons.  Next year’ll be 85 years combined total.

No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)