Masters Running

40's on the Run -- Too Hot to Handle -- Week of 8/3 (Read 353 times)

Mornin' Sunshines! 5-mile progression run this a.m. At Mile 3 kept a pretty consistent 8:42 pace, went back and forth for about 3/4 of Mile 4, but the last .20 or so kept a consistent 7:42-7:45 pace. Big grin Unfortunately, my knee is talking to me. I think it's irritated from not having my bike seat set properly for a few rides. Hopefully having Fri-Mon off will give it time to calm down. Tomorrow no running, just strength training, so I'll do extra knee exercises. Jewels - Painting done! Woo hoo! A couple of years ago we repainted our bedroom and great room and put in new carpet. Our bedroom went from off white walls to a sort of dark rusty red (?) color with a creamy yellow ceiling (I can't describe it any better). When The Hub came home on his lunch break and got his first good look at the color, his jaw just about dropped to the floor. When I was first trying to pick a color, I got this, well, red color and put a big ole patch of it on the wall above our bed. Shocked We ended up calling it the porthole to hell. It took two coats of primer and 2 coats of the new paint to cover it. And still, when the light's just right in the room, if you know what your looking for you can see it. . . . . Everyone once in awhile we hear strange noises eminating from that spot. Wink BK (aka Former Feral Kitty) - He has such a hard life now.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

5 miles this morning with rea pole speedwork, went ok, crosstrained scooping and sweeping corn to an auger loading a semi with corn. We had a customer appreciation steak feed last night at the John Deere store so needed to run off some of the good food. Funny story about corn dogs in one of the running mags, one of the elites was lamenting their choice of nite before pre race meal consisting of a corndog then found themselves out front and leading the race. It became their secret weapon and mantra for the rest of the race, as in I was the only one that ate a corndog last nite!!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

one of the elites was lamenting their choice of nite before pre race meal consisting of a corndog then found themselves out front and leading the race. It became their secret weapon and mantra for the rest of the race, as in I was the only one that ate a corndog last nite!!!
        I'll have to remember this! I LOVE corn dogs. Maybe it's the secret weapon I've been looking for!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Corndogs! Tight lipped! I like 'em okay....they don't like ME so much! Shocked FINALLY getting some rain here! Smile just in time for me to rest myself before the Georgetown to Idaho Springs HM this weekend! Wink also causing a nice break in the heat wave.....should be around 47 degrees @ race start Smile Cool Skipped boot camp this am...has been taking a few days to fully recover - depending on the type of workout - so, didn't think it would hurt to lay off Thurs training before Sat. race...will probably take Mairead for a good walk at some point before the clouds re-assemble today... @ boot camp: last week I told the trainer (who also knows that I'm training for a marathon) that I was off high impact forefoot stuff for awhile...sooo, he gives us 1,000 jumping jacks - to be done btwn weights sets! Roll eyes then Tues, the warm-up excercise was "high steps," grapevines & "butt kickers" - all landing on forefoot! before doing track speed drills (he wants to push anaerobic for these, which for me is about 9mm pc) 3 x 800's, "breaks" btwn consisting of 50 situps & 50 supermans for a total of 150 each - which then he criticized my "heel strike" style landing & that he thinks that I need to lean fwd more (vs upright).... Roll eyes & recommended Chi Running....he may be totally right, but I'm thinking that until my foot feels 100% it's maybe not the best time to be transitioning into forefoot landing....still chewing on all of that.... Had "track workout" w/TNT group last night, which would've meant two back to back this week....hmmm? so, I went pretty easy w/it...tucked in w/the "slightly injured" crew & did soft jogging/power walking/lunges around the curves... . f/u cals. were push-ups, sit-ups, planks & stretches....I'm really seeing the improvement there Smile Nice Kitty Leslie! Wink Doug grins about the REA pole w/o Clowning around
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Hey! The sun is out! Holy Cow I better skip out of work and go enjoy it! I wish! Big grin Well, I did my first mtn bike race last night. I survived a whole 5k loop. I ran my bike through the twisty, muddy and rocky parts which wasn't the entire course! There were parts through fields which I can handle. It was the same course I ran on Tuesday night- I ran it in 27:39 and biked it in 25:27-not much difference! I had already run 12 miles-could that have anything to do with it? I don't think a corn dog would help me go any faster either. Good luck with that one guys! Rest that foot for your race Cindy. Sounds like that Bootcamp instructor didn't really listen to you. Take care, Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Cindy - Listen to you and not your boot camp instructor. He's suppose to push people to the melting point - hence, boot camp. That means no "sissies" in his book. Forefoot, shmorefoot. You need to be healthy for your HM and Mari. Very little sleep last night (maybe 5 hours of intermittent, if I'm lucky) = no way in the world was I getting up at 4:30 to work out. I've had my daily limit on coffee, and I still feel sleepy and tired. It's gonna be a long day on the Western Front. On the bright side, as of 5:00 p.m. (or earlier if I can swing it), I'm off for four days. Nice! If you're interested in a great race report, check this out: http://srlopez-maniac111.blogspot.com/2008/08/72608-white-river-50-miler.html I think he also posted it here in the Master Forum. The guy's a good, fun writer. Later!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Guys- never tried a corndog myself.. Roll eyes Yea Cindy- take it easy will ya! Good Luck on your race.Happy the heat went away for you.Did you say a thousand jumping jacks!?! Nice kitty Leslie- I knew that you could not resist.Hope you enjoy your time off. ps-that porthole sounds dangerous! Good going on the speedwork Jim. Do you get a little break between harvests or are you still busting hump all the time? Kelly -way to go with the cross training.You'll get better at it I'm sure.Re my NH sister's, one's in E.Kingston, another in Rochester, the third in New Durham. They were all NJ transplants, so it's really their kids that have the accents. Speaking of New England, went up to Ct yesterday to meet one sister and pickup nephew for a week's visit at our house. Got there early and went for a run on some real hills.Went 8.2m on some steep ,but not too long hills.A very pleasant run right after a t-storm went through. Locals were looking at me kinda funny for going up those things. Oh well,guess they just don't "get it" C ya's later

Top 'O the World!

G'mornin' folks!.....**passing out Gevalia** anybody need cream? I am soooo takin' it easy this am!..... Spent entirely too much of yesterday reading one of those $3 trashy romance beach novel thingys...Big grin... so guess you could say I did a real fine job of staying off my foot! Wink....now, I have just a few things to do around here, then picking up a tnt teammate & heading up to the mtn house - via Breckenridge for lunch & stuff - we just wanna be up in elevation as much as possible before the morning's HM....Now, I was expecting to have the house to myself as my silly son (who lives there) was supposed to be in SD camping this week... Roll eyes...however, it seems that the camping trip fell through & I'm still not clear as to why...LSS: me & young single female teammate coming up, single son: curious...Oh Lord! sounds like they're both "open" to it.... Read that blog yesterday Leslie. Very enjoyable read - great sense of humor & I remember his fun posts from CR boards a year ago! I came away torn btwn whether that would be a good time or not Confused Kelly: biking @ same pace as running?!? ...either fast runner or slow biker! Tongue (not putting anything else into the equation Big grin) Joe: Ya spose they was lookin atcha funny cause of yer choice of fashion? Big grin Jim: You running @ the fair?
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Cindy, sounds like it is going to be an interesting time at the mtn. house this weekend. Good luck tomorrow. Have a great race! 3 sticky miles this a.m. TGIF.........Jewels
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                      Hiya 40’s (and thereabouts), Leslie -- love the pic of BK soaking up the sun! Jewels – great job on the 3 sticky miles this morning, and congrats on finishing the school semester and the painting. Hub is about to start school, and we’re also about to start painting…well as soon as I can make up my mind re: color. Oh, and Leslie, your hubby’s response to the paint color resonates. My 80somthing year old father in law came to see our last painting adventure, a very subdued green accent wall, and all he could muster was a very perplexed “It’s…ahhh…green.” R2 – On the one hand, I envy the flatness where you run, and on the other hand, you can really see how far you have to go. Good plan to break that up with the REA poles! As for the corndogs, have you guys had Fletcher’s corn dogs? A staple here a the TX State Fair…can’t go to the fair without one…or a turkey leg…or…hey that’s coming up soon. Cindy – glad you’re listening to your bod, and not to that apparently deaf trainer. Although I've gotten advice from a great trainer, it seems like with some of those folk, they have one program and if you’re not on it, you’re outta luck. Guess it has to be that way in a group setting, but we as (ahem…slightly less young) runners learn that pushing through pain is not always the smartest move. Good luck with the race and the “situation” this weekend. Oh, and yes, please pass me some Gevalia…I’m outta coffee here! Kelly – sounds like sort of a reverse brick race you did. Variety is good, and glad you are enjoying the challenges of both! Joe – good job on those CT hills! The smells and cool air after a thunderstorm can be so refreshing. As for the locals, as long as the men in white coats don’t start following you in a van, they can think what they will. Hit a teensey slump mid last week, but I’m back on track this week. Even got to combine my run with a pet sit yesterday, which made me feel ever so productive. Getting to the gym to lift has not been going well since we had a cool wave (only 99) and I have been able to run outside early mornings. So I may not have ripped arms and abs, but am at least continuing to log the miles per my schedule. Oh, and we’re now Barnett shale gas “barrons”…last night signed a lease for the natural gas 1000 + feet under the house. Not a lifestyle changing kind of lease, but still feeling a bit like the Clampits…which I guess makes me “Ellie Mae” (not willing to claim the granny spot just yet). Kerry is torn between assuming the role of Jed or Jethro, so I guess we'll have to figure that out. Have a great weekend!
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                      saltyd

Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I posted, and a while since I actually ran. I did the Camp Pendleton Mud Run back in June, and haven't really ran since. I did take a couple 4 week boot camps, which I enjoyed. Right now it's too hot for me to run outside here in Arizona, and it makes my motivation even tougher. I'm hoping the weather will be cool enough maybe Sunday morning for me to go for a short workout. And get my dreadmill back in use after that for a couple weeks. Then on August 22 I have an out patient surgery which will sideline any workouts for a week or 2. But it will hopefully make running and other activities mroe enjoyable for me. I'm signed up for a race called the Undy 5000 in November. It's for colon cancer research, and they encourage particiapants to run in underwear. Sounds fun. Stay safe. Salty
                        Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

jfa

Hey Salty !! Good to see you again! We missed you Cool Post often no matter how much you're running. Take it easy and gentle and I'm sure you'll do fine ! That skivvy Blush run sounds like alot of fun and for a good cause too !

Evenin', gang - Just wanted to check in quickly before we head to bed. Kate has to weigh in before 6:30, and the run starts at 7:00. We drove around and found all the aid stations, so Karen and I are good to go. Russ (from Forest Park) is here, and the five of us had fun afternoon together. Karen will pace Kate starting at the 50 mile mark for about 11 miles, then Russ will take over and go with her the last approximate 40 miles. Everyone's very excited, and I know Kate is going to do great. She's been training for five years for her date with destiny. Sitting here tonight, while I was taping up feet (I'm the official taper), Russ commented on how while I was running Forest Park, if he'd taken his usually route instead of deciding to try something new, we all wouldn't be sitting here together, ready to help Kate make history for herself. Fate, destiny - both are very cool. If I'm not able to check back on Sunday, I'll let you all know on Monday how things went. Til then - Cindy, have a great HM. I know you're going to do wonderful. Everyone else, enjoy your runs, your weekend, and I'll see ya on the other side!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance