Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 7.15.13 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

So glad to see that Ribs got back into fast and fit form on his own. Nice AG win too!

What a great looking group of runners at the Tunnel! Congrats to Cecil for completing marathon #1! Mike, you can stop shaking your head now. Greta before and after photos, Enke!

Great tri, Holly! But we're not surprised, are we?

I beg to differ, TomW, but it appears that you are getting smarter - congrats on figuring out the leg pain-reducing hip raise.

So glad that you had a good time at OOB, Denise. It looks like you used every last second of your last day to have more fun.

Yesterday, I had a racewalking training session (I did about 10 200m repeats, mostly before the rest of the crew arrived), raced home for a shower, then DW and I had brunch with friends in Portsmouth, and then drove north to Lake Winnipesaukee to spend the afternoon/early evening with friends up for their vacation. I had left home at 7am, and didn't get back (except for the quick shower) till 9pm, and even though it was a great day, I was beat by the time I hit the pillow. So I chose to get a bit of extra sleep this morning, and will be out on the roads again tomorrow am.

Here is the link to the article the local columnist did about her first venture into the world of racewalking. She did a nice job, and I'm glad she included some of the other folks from our group.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning, Jay, and all to follow.

Sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday, Jay.

Looking forward to the Tunnel reports.....

Pulled out my V5Fs today and did a short, 2-mile run on the TM, followed by a 30-minute core and upper body workout.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Looking forward to the Tunnel reports.....

+1  Handsome pics yesterday.

Good to see Ribs doing better in his race.

Jay, especially this time of year when it's really H&H down there, your posts have me longing to be back in NH.  Lake Winnipesaukee sounds like a great way to spend a summer day.

Holly, congrats on that tri!  Interesting format.  And the helmet thing was pretty funny.

I knew it was going to be rough out there this morning with high humidity and rising temps but I gave my tempo run a shot and....it went surprisingly well!  You never know until you get out there, I guess.  8 miles with 4 tempo miles in the middle.  Good and drenched at the end, though.  We're supposed to be in the upper 90s all week, so this should be interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Jay - great report on racewalking

Nice racing over the w/e -

Went out too late this morning 7 am - already the HHH was unbearable.

yesterday we were up in maine with the youngest GD, Vera

Holly, way to go in your Triathlon!  Maybe if they had canoe events as part of my tris I'd do better (probably not!).

Ribs, glad you felt good and ran very well in your race!  An AG win is always great.

Congrats to the Tunnel Marathoners!  Nicely done.

I got some sad news this weekend of one of our local running club members passing away unexpectedly on Friday.  He was really a well-liked runner who never failed to smile, crack a joke, and greet everyone.  He had just gotten married this past April and they were very happy.  His new DW is heartbroken and trying her best to move forward, but it will be hard for her.  He was one of my infrequent training partners and I had just run with him several weeks ago.  I will miss his spirit and sense of life but I will try to smile as I remember him.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

The writer did well by you Jay, very complete and complimentary of your skills and experience.  Great read.

Ribs' new axiom of racing. You will rarely win, but if you do, that's the day they won't publish the race results in the paper.  So I missed out on the ink this morning and now no one will believe me if I say I won.  Okay, JK, but thanks all.

And thanks to Enke or whoever put the Tunnel pic up yesterday.  Great group.

1.1 slow miles on the dirt this morning as recovery, then a good long stretch session at the Y. Now I'm off to Atlanta for a day.  Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Holly, way to go in your Triathlon!  Maybe if they had canoe events as part of my tris I'd do better (probably not!).

Beagler, your wish is my command:  http://www.pangeaadventureracing.com/event-details/events/2013-lighterknot-ar

Have been sick for the better part of a week and have done exactly nothing aerobic for seven days.  It's pretty scary, actually.  I mean, over and above the usual feeling terrible and hacking up a lung and scaring the dog, you should see the training load graph in my logbook plunge.  Depressing, that.

I think I will try to pry myself onto my bike for a very easy waterfront spin today before the afternoon westerly gale sets in.  Remind me, some dull afternoon, to pour you a coffee and tell you the harrowing tale of the day I, new to these parts and out on the strait in a little boat, discovered that a honking westerly whips up virtually every summer afternoon.  Between that and the Bagpipe Incident, it was a memorable trip.

Watched the Tunnel Team from my comfy chair and wished I could have made it down for the partay, if not the run.  (My marathoning days are still officially Over Forever.)  Divechief, I'd love an engine room tour someday.  Lately, if I'm in the area, I'm usually pelting to SEATAC from Port Angeles and have found that driving around is a more straightforward way to get there than hopping across the Sound.  Should I find a day when our paths converge, however, it would be a treat to see the inner workings of the kind of vessel all of us on the Salish Sea rely upon.

Have a greta week, all.

...Bagpipe Incident???????...............I am intrigued........

and

I don't intrigue easily

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Late afternoon 5 miler for me, 94 degree's and the air so heavy it was hard to breath. Not a dry spot by the end of the run. Thinking I need to drag my behind out of bed early for the next few days and do the morning runs.

Celebration of Life Ceremony went well Saturday so spent sunday recovering!

Maniac 505

" Divechief, I'd love an engine room tour someday"

Sal,  I would be more than happy to give you, or anyone else here, a behind the scenes tour if it ever works out.  Day to Day, and Week to Week, I never know what ferry terminal (or even what Ferry boat) I will be working at,  but if it ever works out, let me know.   If anyone is in the area and heading across the sound, feel free to let me know.

It was GREAT to meet a few of the tunnel runners and give them a tour of my other home today.   Of course they were probably more impressed with the wheel house than they were of the engine room where the real stuff happens.

Dave

wildchild

Carolyn

Divechief, it was great to meet you today,  and we loved the tour of your boat!  And I liked the engine room, but then I'm a nerdy engineer!

We started the day with brunch with Twocat and Mariposai at the Pike Place market, then took the ferry to Bainbridge and back to visit Divechief, and then went for a run with Enkie on her beautiful bridle trail.  It was fun watching Mike E try to walk down the stairs on the ferry and to run downhill!  Wink  He obviously raced harder than I did yesterday because his legs are a lot more sore today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Nope, Chief (that's what they call him on his ship), I liked it down in your place just fine.  Thank you very much!

The girls took me out to a trail and kicked my butt!

Okay--she made more food for me--gotta go!

Mariposai

Nope, Chief (that's what they call him on his ship), I liked it down in your place just fine.  Thank you very much!

The girls took me out to a trail and kicked my butt!

Okay--she made more food for me--gotta go!

and knowing how great Enkie can cook, I am not surprised that you are running from the computer to the table.

We just got back home after a magical weekend. Where do I start and where to I stop telling the tales? I am still in seventh heaven. It will take me a few days to come back to earth. Then I will be ready to tell the story.

Meanwhile I must admit, the Posie Clan ROCKS!!!!!!!!! I asked for marathon medals as a 50th b-day present and medals they gave me....yeahhhh!!.

BTW, Posie boys have been hanging out with Tetsujin for way too long...see their bare-feet?.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Been running around like crazy this summer, lately been at Brooks Camp chasing bears and people around. Got a couple runs in out here, feeling pretty good...still hoping to do a Valley Road Run in late August, but I need to ramp up the long runs if that is going to happen...

Our bears are on view at explore.org for anybody that wants to reduce their productivity and while away the hours watching survival dining...and fighting...

Marathon Maniac #957

Meanwhile I must admit, the Posie Clan ROCKS!!!!!!!!! I asked for marathon medals as a 50th b-day present and medals they gave me....yeahhhh!!.

Wow - this is so awesome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."