Masters Running

Dedication, compulsion or insanity (Read 218 times)

selb3

Hi all: Kindly vote whether the following rates Dedication Smile Compulsion Shocked Insanity Sad I have this streak going of consectutive months of running at least 100 miles, goes back to December 2003, anyway, heading into this past weekend, I knew I had to put in some miles, like 29, in order to reach my goal. I figured I had Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Saturday, got in 11.35, good start. However, life events conspired to eliminate any running on Sunday. Sunday evening, I was a bit grumpy. Monday, ran 5 at lunch, and then went out at about 9:15 p.m. for another 12. So I just eked out enough to get 100 + miles for the month. When I headed out on Monday night, I told my beloved spouse I was going for a run. Okay she said, but then I said, well, I will be gone for 2 hours. I got a stare, to which I replied, please don't worry, I will be running on the sidewalks, well lit, etc. I got the "okay" but I knew it meant the opposite. I am happy to report I finished the run safely and all is well in the house. 55 months of at least 100 miles, I would have been disappointed in myself had I let it slide, especially since there was no injury issue. Thanks Dave
    TammyinGP

wow, Dave, you are one dedicated, compulsive, insane runner! Cool Congrats on eeking out those miles to meet your goal. Wink

Tammy

munchkn883

All three, plus AWESOME!!
        wildchild

Carolyn

I have mixed feelings. In this case it was OK, as it obviously worked out. But 100 is just a number. No better or worse than 99 or 101. In the overall scheme of life priorities, monthly mileage totals should be pretty low on the list. Goals are good to have, but not at the expense of other priorities, specifically health and family. But congrats on the 55th month of meeting your goal!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave, since I share the same genes and have the same sort of tendencies, I can say I understand even though I don't know which explanation or combination thereof is best. The fact that you stayed healthy is retroactive verification that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I remember well how those family and job obligations (generally good and definitely important) affect the ability to get things done for oneself. You do a good job of taking care of the family and job duties and still feeding your running habit. My miles per month goal streak ended after only about a year and a half with my current hamstring issues. However, if I'd cut the streak by a month or two when my hamstring started to act up I'd probably be better off now. As far as my race per month streak, I can cut back the length of the race and speed and be somewhat safe. Enough rambling. Do what you have to do but don't get injured or get insane enough that Deb has you committed. Tom
            coastwalker

Hi Dave, Congratulations on your most impressive streak! Years ago, I became a vegetarian. I did it just because I was curious to find out what vegetarianism was all about, and decided the best way to learn was to jump right in. I stuck with it for about 5 years, and did so easily, happily, and without regret or remorse. Then, one day I went to a baseball game with a few friends. Probably because of the atmosphere, I got the urge to have a hot dog. I thought about it for a while, and couldn't really come up with a compelling reason not to have one. So I did, and I and I enjoyed it! Since then, I've gone back to eating meat, although not nearly as frequently as I did before my vegetarian adventure. My point is that you are the one who has to decide how important your streak really is, and when to fight to keep it going, or to accept that it is time to end it. You may find (as you did on Monday night) that circumstance offer you the opportunity to end or continue the streak, and the future of the streak will be decided right then and there. You chose to fight for it this time - what will you do next time? Maintaining your streak is clearly a compulsion. And I certainly admire your dedication. And, to some extent, we probably all share your insanity! Wink Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TomD

Dave, I had a streak of 81 months of running at less one marathon/ultra. It kept wearing on me and having to drive to a distant marathon each January. With only 2 marathons and one ultra in my home state at the time, Nebraska, had me driving long distances alot. It was a big relieve to be able to run when I want too. My streak came to an end May, 2005. I still run just as many marathons as before, but now I can skip a very cold and a very hot month, if I like. If it is really important to you, go for it. Just do not be afraid of ending it. I have many times really pushed myself for something important to me and without regrets. The best to you on your continued streak. TomD
                  ......best thread title I have EVER read..... ============ ..as long as you're also not Washing Your Hands 300-times a day, I'd say you were ok...... Smile

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

As I'm reading along I"m thinking, "geez, what an idiot...sounds exactly like me" Big grin Dedication, compulsion or insanity? Who cares? The important thing is that you did it! Build yourself a nice cushion for this month so you don't have to go through this again. I was worried you weren't going to make it for a minute there...whew! What a relieft that was. Yes
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marathon Maniac #3309

I just wanted to state..... That I am ALL of the above...is that a good thing, lol. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!