Masters Running

Saturday, February 7, let`s-do-two-runs-today thread (Read 418 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly - Just found your post from yesterday about your husband. I'm glad he's feeling better today! My DH doesn't want to take any pain meds because they make him too dizzy, but we'll see how it goes.
      breger...wow nice run, so evenly paced, wow. 9 miles, 40F, foggy and damp. Saw herds of other runners! Well I did my 3+6=9 run but it actually went 2+4+3=9 2 mile w/u 11:09 11:12 4 miles @ tempo on hilly terrain, net elevation gain too. 9:38 9:43 9:30 9:33 3 mile c/d 10:32 10:46 10:18 I was extremely happy with the tempo portion. It felt easier than my attempt two days ago and I didn't fatigue until I hit a steep hill at the end of the fourth mile. I love the feeling of running at that speed, I actually feel like I am running and not jogging and it is indeed a gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

4 miles in 35 minutes today. The same time from Thursday for that distance. I started out to have an easy day because tomorrow is my long run but after the first mile at 10:00 a good song came on so i sped up to eight for the song but got into the groove and just stayed there for 2.5 more miles and then cooled down for the last .5 for a 8:45 overall pace. Maybe I need to run a new race to reset my pacing charts. I hope the weather is as nice tommorrow Mary. I am planning 8 but might get 10 in if the slush isn't to bad. I guess I better check the rabbit race. I sometimes wish I had a garmin just to play with all the fancy charts and such. I still run with my old fitsense sytem. I am to cheap to buy a new one until this one no longer works. The on line support is no longer available so I have nowhere to download the data anymore. The darn thing just keeps going and going. I wish I could be 2 places in one time. What a cool idea Tet. Great runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Lou, yes those HR blips were water stops. And the IRC was 57F Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

jon, I knew a couple of runners who ran the Midnight Sun marathon in Norway (June 20 or thereabouts) that starts at midnight in Oslo, then flew over to Alaska to run Mayor's Marathon that same day. @ marathons in 1 day on 2 continents. I love the way runners think. Wink DH & I did 10 today--48 but windy. Anyone else listen to This American Life today? That was one of the best! grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles
              Holly and Teresa, good to hear that your respective dh's sailed through surgery and are recovering well. Teresa, too bad husbands are not as easy as dogs to keep subdued. Super cute video of Tobias posted yesterday. I want one of those underwater treadmills. Breeger, awesome run today. This must bode well for future marathon attempts. I'm afraid my eyes glaze over when confronted with that much data, but the pace was great. I decided to run my long run today to get it out of the way and because my in laws are here tonight and tomorrow. We finally had a really great day for running. Temps at the start were in the high 30s but I decided to wear shorts anyway because I knew the temp would climb. Sure enough, it was about 50 when I finished. Combined with my efforts to hydrate, restrict dairy and get plenty of sleep, I wound up with a really greta run. 17 miles all together with a progression Tramps style - first 5 miles at 8:05 avg. pace, second 5 miles at 7:45 avg. pace, third 5 miles at 7:35 avg. pace and then two miles cool down. Legs felt great at the end and I could have run more. I will make 60 miles this week, but despite feeling good will still take a cut back week next week due to all kinds of commitments on the weekend. And somehow TomS managed to anticipate my long run today. Hmmmm. Lots of folks out running long today. I expect the Shamrock marathoners are all out there training heavily. I kept wondering if any of the gentlemen I passed were Diverdoc.

Once a runner . . .

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

1. Saturday, February 7, 2009 (9:30am - 10:00am) - 5K around Imperial Palace in Tokyo with Mr. Kojima who was running his 1,126th marathon. Good thing I didn't know there was a Palace Marathon scheduled or I might not have made it back after all. 2. Saturday, February 7, 2009 (3:35pm - 6:55am) - Tokyo-Seattle (4,954 miles in 8hr/20min = 6sec/mile pace)\ 3. Saturday, Febrary 7, 2009 (9:30am - 10:00am) - a little over one lap for 5K around Green Lake too. glad to be back. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Welcome back taper boy!!!!!!!!!!!! we sure missed you around here. 20 miles in 28F...sunny and no wind...just the way I like it. The plan: first 10 miles easy and steady; then 4 miles at MP; then 6 miles easy and watch out for the form (I tend to flap my wings all over the place when I am tired). The implementation of the plan: left the house towards the city of Okanogan, enjoying the view of the frozen river and the mountains covered with snow...spotted 3 bald eagles. Once in S. Okanogan I crossed the bridge into the Colville Indian Reservation. Ran a mile, crossed yet another bridge and then did the same loop twice before I head back home. At mile 10 I started MP pace (9:12) for 4 miles. This was the second time I took this MP pace for a date and it felt a bit easier this time, but it was still on the hard side, as it should be, I guess. Finding the right rhythm was difficult because I seemed to want to go either faster or slower...but with perseverance the task was accomplished. Mile 15 found me by my house where I stopped for an input and output of fluid and a kiss. Left the house toward the flat lands and at the bend I was greeted by the full moon who was just cresting over Omak Mountain...a breathtaking sight...the ground all around me, included the mountain peaks totally covered with its white cloth and me the runner breathing steadily and easily in oneness with the universe. Miles 18-20 is normally my form nemesis, so, at this point I did the Deanna Kastor thing...chest and ribcage open wide, core stable, hips aligned and arms in proper position as I ran the last two miles at an easy 10:30 pace. Got back home where the kissgiver was waiting for me for a sweet walk around town to cool off. I feel good about this run today...well balanced with hard, easy, fast, slow...I think my perseverance is paying off.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Jon: welcome home! but those two runs really skew your pace, You actually ended up with 4960 miles today in 9:20, that gives you an average pace of 6.77 seconds/mile Man are you getting fast! three ez miles on the dreadmill for me while Jon was enjoying the lap of the park Sad
                    xor

three ez miles on the dreadmill for me while Jon was enjoying the lap of the park Sad
                      The treadmill? I managed 8 through Myrtle Edwards... and you were on the treadmill! Hi Jon.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks dave, I might do more of it if training was that easy. incidentally, with aa's the Norway/Anchorage Marathon example, I'm pretty sure SRL could do the tokyo marathon on 2/28/10 and get out to Narita airport in time for the 3:00 flight back to Seattle and do another marathon the same day in SEattle, if not the same time too. I hope to be there in Tokyo next 2/28 too but I think I'm headed to the nearby onsen (hot springs) right afterwards. don"t tell him yet but I think I've got it figured out h ow he can do both KOna and Seattle RocknRoll the last weekend in JUne too. I'm going to glad you can be with your dad robert. Unfortunately, being gone so long didn't get my phone bill paid and Qwest is closed until Monday so I'm pretending I'm a guest at a hotel some of the Tokyo guys who were on the same plane are staying at. dear butterfly goddess - please extend your next trip to Seattle for your meetings another day so you can help me figure out the tokyo photos. did you keep the november ones for yourself? probably just as well, as don't want to make timmy jealous just when he's starting to run again and's thinking he has a chance to beat me in the RnR. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

The treadmill? I managed 8 through Myrtle Edwards... and you were on the treadmill! Hi Jon.
                          Um, what can I say? I wanted to work on my pace Roll eyes actually, today was not a running day, but I have been pretty negligent with weights, since I was at the gym anyway.... planning 15 or so, starting at the park tomorrow, I suppose you will be on the mill? Welcome home Jon, looking forward to seeing the pictures, I'm off to make carbonara now. Yesterday's daily got me in the mood. Dave
                          TammyinGP

It was spring here today. Sunny and it had to be around 60 when I met up with John at 3 p.m. and we went for a 11.5 mile run. Pretty hilly one at that. It was even warm enough to break out the running skirt and tshirt. and now the forecast is for snow tomorrow down to 2000 ft. We were running at about 1500 ft today. strange strange weather.

Tammy

evanflein

I had a hilly run, too. 12.5 miles, first 8 miles had lots of hills. It was a beautiful day and would've been an awesome run if not for all the snowmachine damage on the trails. I really really hate snowmachines. Angry Last 4.5 miles were mildly hilly, just rolling stuff with some really easy. Overall, a very good run and I need to be doing more hills. Have spent too much time taking the easy route looking for nicely plowed paths and sidewalks. Temps today were around +5F, overall average pace was 8:42, which doesn't mean much when the hilliest mile (#2) was just over 10 m/m pace, best was just under 8:05. Given the hills and snowy footing, I guess that's to be expected. Welcome back, Tetsujin! Glad to hear Teresa's and Holly's husbands are doing pretty well.