Masters Running

How to Post Pictures at RA (Read 92 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay folks, we could use some help with this one....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

I'll try:

I post it in facebook and make it private, so only I can see it.  I right click, and select 'copy image address'

In the picture of trees, I copy the link to source.  The dimensions can be adjusted to reduce the size of the picture (I'm not sure of the numbers).  I do this in safari on a mac

please someone expand on this....

pfriese

My method is the same as Marj's. Here it is from when I posted earlier in the month in the daily:

Posting pics to Running Ahead.... I have my own Rube Goldberg kludge method for doing this. I'm not sure how clear my explanation will be, but here goes:

Even though I don't post much on Facebook anymore it is still the handiest way to get a picture to post in here. I post whatever pictures I want to post here to an album (titled RA posts, in my case) on Facebook with privacy set to "only me". Even though it has this setting I can still get the "copy image address" by right clicking on the image after opening it in Facebook. I then open RunningAhead in a separate tab on my browser, compose my post (reply or new), go to the area I want the image(s) & then click "insert/edit image" button on the menu bar, i then right click in the "source" box & "paste" the image address there. I then go down to the "dimension" box & in the width column (the 2nd box) I set the dimension to 240 leaving the "constrain proportions" checked (by trial & error I found with this width, I can get 2-3 images across).  Hit OK and the image is pasted in the post. I then left click just to the right of the image to unhighlight it. If I want side by side images, I then hit the space bar 3 times & repeat the above with another pic on Facebook. I can get 2 to 3 images across using this method. Once done with side by side images, click outside the image & hit return. Clear as mud, right? Questions?

Mta: for a single width picture I usually set the dimension width to 360. I find that fits my phone screen best. ymmv.

Mta x 2: There has got to be a better way. Anyone else have a good method?

A method using Google photos. Can you see the picture of my garden below?

anneb

I can see the Google one!

Anne

evanflein

I can see the Google one!

me too. Good to know the Google photos secret since it seems to work sometimes, and other times not.

pfriese

On my phone & on DW's computer, I can see the Google photo. But I cannot see the Dropbox photo. So, I'll go ahead & post my Google Photo  method.

Method for posting from Google Photos from a computer.:

1. Open Google Photos.

2. Select/open the photo you want to share.

3. Click the share icon.

4: email it to yourself.

5. close Google Photos.

6. open your email.

7. right click the picture in your email, Copy image address.

(Hint: do NOT open open a picture viewer or you cannot copy image address).

8. now when in your dialog box in RunningAhead, Click on the Insert /edit image button. Right click in the Source box & hit paste. Click the dimension box & type 360 which will create a nice size picture in the post. Hit OK & your image should be in your post.

Paul

spacityrunner

Oh....you have to email it to yourself...

I can't see the dropbox but I can see the google photo on both my phone/computer.

Trails Rock!

an amazing likeness

The link you have for the photo must (repeat, must) be a link directly to the photo -- simply put it must end in .JPG, or .PNG.

A good way to test if your link is a public photo which everyone's browser can open is to take the link you are going to use and open that link in an private / incognito window in your browser.  If it opens, it will work.

Examples:

Let's say the link to your photo is:  https ://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPHA0ttzp_A5YuT5X5H5k5GbCb33Q4PQQG1pCWT

This will not work.  It is a a link to a web page in google photos.

Let's say the link to your photo is: https: //scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61175378_2394787873885961_3244206287222734848_n.jpg

This will work -- note that it is a link to photo file -- it ends with .JPG .

(the reason for these scenarios is that the owner of runningahead has made the (very wise) decision to NOT host photos on the site, exposing him to legal issues about copyrights and dealing with take-down notices, etc. The link to your photo must be a valid web address which the readers' web browser can open. )

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

pfriese

The link you have for the photo must (repeat, must) be a link directly to the photo -- simply put it must end in .JPG, or .PNG.

A good way to test if your link is a public photo which everyone's browser can open is to take the link you are going to use and open that link in an private / incognito window in your browser.  If it opens, it will work.

Examples:

Let's say the link to your photo is:  https ://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPHA0ttzp_A5YuT5X5H5k5GbCb33Q4PQQG1pCWT

This will not work.  It is a a link to a web page in google photos.

Let's say the link to your photo is: https: //scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61175378_2394787873885961_3244206287222734848_n.jpg

This will work -- note that it is a link to photo file -- it ends with .JPG .

(the reason for these scenarios is that the owner of runningahead has made the (very wise) decision to NOT host photos on the site, exposing him to legal issues about copyrights and dealing with take-down notices, etc. The link to your photo must be a valid web address which the readers' web browser can open. )

Thanks milktruck. I knew why Eric did not host pictures. And your explanation helps my understanding of why some of these pictures posting methods sometimes don't work.

Paul

Mta: Also, thanks for the tip on testing in incognito/private mode.

Joe618

Paul, I can see your Google photo and thanks for reproducing your description.   Marj, thanks for the description.  The FB method works for me consistently.   Milktruck, thanks for the technical explanation.    Holly, thanks for starting this and making it sticky.   I think it will be a simple resource to which we can point people.   Photos enliven the already lively discussion!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

spacityrunner

Thanks milktruck. I knew why Eric did not host pictures. And your explanation helps my understanding of why some of these pictures posting methods sometimes don't work.

Paul

Mta: Also, thanks for the tip on testing in incognito/private mode.

+1

Still don't know why I can see some on my phone and not on my computer...but I'll give the google email method a try one of these days

Trails Rock!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

testing

photo

Nope. Still stumped.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

BTY

pfriese

I'll try:

I post it in facebook and make it private, so only I can see it.  I right click, and select 'copy image address'

In the picture of trees, I copy the link to source.  The dimensions can be adjusted to reduce the size of the picture (I'm not sure of the numbers).  I do this in safari on a mac

please someone expand on this....

In addition to posting a picture to Facebook to post it in RA; you can also use a picture you've posted to your Strava running log by using the same method as above.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nope

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."