Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.22.13 (Read 42 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Great pictures, Avenger Doggie!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great pictures, Avenger Doggie!

+1  Happy dogs! (and owners too)

It was Bimbler's Bluff wild child (tried to link it but it didn't work)

And on to Mountain Masochist on 11/3 for her....she is non-stop!

Another nice fall day, although a bit more overcast. I ran 19.3 miles (no meetings this morning) and that's the last long one before the marathon on 11/3. Pushed the last miles for a fast finish and felt good.

Finished up the daylight hours watching the kiddo at a xc dual meet---last one of the regular season and now we are into the championship meet weekends. Sniffle, sniffle!

Avenger Doggie nice pictures.  How do you take them without fingers to press the shutter?

I have been super busy today, well the whole week.  The big news is that today my junior colleague was granted tenure.  She is only the second person in the department's history to come in as a "rookie" (i.e. first academic post) to get tenure.  I was on the committee arguing her case and very happy with this outcome.

Running:  This weekend I did an 18 mile run with 7 at MP.  The MP section went better than I could have hoped.  Today I headed to the track for intervals and ran 5x1000m at about a 6:30 pace.  That too went better than I thought it would.  If this keeps up I might even do relatively well at my December marathon!

On my way home I took a couple of pictures of the fall foliage that has started to come out in my area.  This first picture was taken at the track

Fall Foliage at the High School Track

This one shows the morning mist over the school's playing fields.

Morning Mist Over the School Playing Field

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

very nice pictures TwoCat. I love running in the fog.

DD#2 came and got Honey. DW had to take a mother/daughter picture. It's one of the best

SteveP

lamerunner

Greetings, that costumed  dog is a saint!

Great running for you Karin, and we will be ready for you at Manchester. Kathrine Switzer is our VIP  this year, and she will be at the expo for  some of it.

Mariposai, that trail looks beautiful!  My body is liking trails more and more after  many years of road miles.

I have been plunking along as usual. I had a nice 90 minute  run on the Presidential rail trail in Randolph NH after doing some ski club work on Saturday then about 8 on the Rockingham rail trail on Sunday.  Nice weekend. Trail runs up north a bit spooky these days with a teenage girl missing from N. Conway for nearly two weeks.  She is barely older than my son, so it is unsettling.

Today was a 6.5 miler around the city and an evening yoga class, which I did not like that much. I have run into scheduling conflicts the last couple of weeks with the power yoga class I like on Wednesdays.  Oh well..

I hope everyone is well.

Did you see how just putting on that costume gave Honey superpowers?  It's all in the eyes!

5 EZ miles this evening while listening to JB Benna's interview on Trail Runner Nation, who just set an unsupported FKT (Fastest Known Time) record for traversing the 175-mile Tahoe Rim Trail - 58h 43m 12s.  Incredible!  Trail Runner Nation is probably my favorite running podcast.  It was a really good interview, and he sounds like a nice guy.  He's the brains behind "Unbreakable," 'the film about the 2010 Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run.  If you want to watch something that gets you excited about running, that film is really good.  I've watched three or four times. Big grin

My run went great.  My orders were to keep easy.  Not try to keep it easy, but keep it easy.  It was nice!

. . . .

. . . . .

. . . . . .

SteveP - You're a really great guy.  I think you family, and especially your grandson, are very lucky people, and it is my sincere home to one day have the pleasure of meeting.  Granted, you'll probably do something really weird . . . . .  Joking

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Kathrine Switzer is our VIP  this year, and she will be at the expo for  some of it.

I’m already looking forward to makin’ sure I don’t miss this year’s Yakima River Canyon Marathon with my 500+ Marathon Mentor Mega-Bob because he and YRCM co-director wife Lenore have snagged Kathrine Switzer as their featured speaker.

Tell her we’re already looking forward to her appearance out in the heart land of marathon maniacdom and wonder if she might be thinking about surprising Bob and running the last couple of miles for a photo finish of Marathon Man and Marathon Woman.
                Checking out her story at KathrineSwitzer.com, she’s 66 now, loves the marathon as her favorite race distance and, most recently has finished 26.2-milers in 2010 (at posie’s same Marathon Marathon in Greece) and the 2011 Motatapu Mountain Marathon in New Zealand. Better yet, Boston 2017, her 70th birthday year and 50th anniversary of the 1967 Boston, is in her sights.

I’m sure, as long-time Boston veterans such as the ancient one know, but contrary to what I’ve thought all my life since then, she didn’t enter as “K.V. Switzer” to mask her gender (there were no gender check-boxes in those days); she’d had been signing her initials only for a long time in her journalism school writings to avoid having to explain why her Kathrine was spelled wrong (and she liked initial authors such as J.D. Salinger).

Her web page has much, much more I learned too and you might like to read before meeting her.

www.KathrineSwitzer.com

Get a picture together with her for sure.

Even a link to RD Jock Semple’s story had some interesting tidbits too: he wasn’t trying to physically remove her but just wanted to tear the race number off her sweats.  http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081080/index.htm

Another good one for those pre-I-Phone days, was how in the world were there are so many Switzer-Semple photos?  It turns out Semple was on the press truck when he spotted her with an official bib so jumped off in front of the world's photogs only to get blocked by her football player boyfriend.   It is one of Life Magazines 100 pictures that changed the world.

Kathrine Switzer – Marathon Woman 

In 1967, challenging the all-male tradition of the Boston Marathon, Kathrine Switzer, at the time a headstrong 20-year-old junior at Syracuse University, entered the race. Two miles in, a race official tried to physically remove her from the competition. (AP)

In 1967, challenging the all-male tradition of the Boston Marathon, Kathrine Switzer, at the time a headstrong 20-year-old junior at Syracuse University, entered the race. Two miles in, a race official tried to physically remove her from the competition. (AP)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

SteveP - .  Granted, you'll probably do something really weird . . . . .  Joking

???????

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Did you see how just putting on that costume gave Honey superpowers?  It's all in the eyes!

+1

Twocat - lovely fall foliage!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."