Masters Running

40's on the run - week starting 2/8 (Read 410 times)

Glad to hear everyone is on the road to recovery. Leslie, sounds like it's a good thing you got that taken care of! Jewels, great news on your nephew and your sis. I'm liking all this good news Big grin Big grin Saw what I think was a sick calf in a field I ran by today. By himself laying down...no other cows around Cry. He didn't get up when I made noise, so I climbed the fence to go to him (after looking around again to make sure momma cow or daddy bull wasn't around Shocked). He got up very slowly then, but was shaking, and very wobbly...not a newborn. So I ran around to the ranch house and reported it to a lady there. She said she'd already lost one calf, and was going to call for help (not sure what that means). Funny because we live in the heart of suburbia, but there are still some pockets of ranch and farm land in our little berg. Felt like whats-his-name from City Slickers.
    Progress Trumps Pefection

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - good news on the successful surgery. I'm sure your recovery will go well, of course it will probably seem slow 'cause you'll get bored. Carol - that's a sad story. I'm getting soft in my dotage Cry Took a nice run up towards the foothills today. My campus is on the current edge of town, so it's all rolling countryside from here. Very pretty with things greening up, meadowlarks singing, and the first flowers here and there on the almond trees. Arla

Ex runner

Took a nice run up towards the foothills today. My campus is on the current edge of town, so it's all rolling countryside from here. Very pretty with things greening up, meadowlarks singing, and the first flowers here and there on the almond trees.
        In Fresno?? Just kidding! Big grin Carol - Sad re the calf. You did a very sweet thing, though. I hope the lady appreciated it. Hopefully, it's not something that goes through their herd.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Carol can't say without seeing him but might not have been anything wrong. Mamas will often stash them so to speak. They stay wobbly for quite a while and can get shaky if startled, droopy ears and a hang dog look would be telltale signs also snotty nose or signs of scours but anyway you did the right thing. Winter storm warning here and if it snows them ol cows will be popping calves out right and left. My neighbor has his cows on our cornstalks by the house and he had major shoulder surgery so I might be on storm midwife duty. Leslie glad you are back with us! abreviated weights this morning then hauled corn to finish my contract with time to get in a little pre storm run of 3.1 before dark.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jim, yeah, I wondered if my instincts were right on the little guy. Funny, while I was checking him out, I thought about you and Lynda and wished you were there to ask. It's one of those things I would not have been able to get out of my head without trying to do something. The owner was very appreciative, and I fully disclosed my cityslickerness to her. Hopefully it was just a youngster wobblies and he'll be OK. Way to fit in a run amongst everything else! Arla, your run sounds delightful...sounds like spring is coming early to Fresno! Leslie, glad you're up and posting. Feeling any better with getting rid of the gas? Howdy to everyone else Smile.
            Progress Trumps Pefection
              Leslie, glad you're up and posting. Feeling any better with getting rid of the gas?
              Um, that's a problem right now. Nothing is moving, and it's highly uncomfortable. I tried to move things along with coffee this morning, but no success. Am going to go purchase some gentle help today. I tell ya, if any of you ladies delivered your kids by cesarian section, my hat's off to you. The way this feels, I cannot even imagine having a cut across my entire stomach. Cripes! I'm actually glad I don't have to run right now. It's pouring down rain outside with no end in sight. Which is just fine, considering we're way behind on the rain so far this year. Well, I need to hit the shower and think about what I'm gonna fix for dinner. Have a great day!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

hey 40s. fatozzig get yourself healed up all nice and proper like. Carol.....you got a good heart. Jim....the wind is howlin' from the north and the temps dropped like a rock on my run the afternoon. Are you sending that weather my way? 6 miles @ 9:12 pace. Temps were 50F and 25-30 mph wind. The temp started dropping rapidly as I finished up. Arla....that's some beauty run right there, I tell you what.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Lynda and I went for a 1 hour ski in the pasture tonight in 4-5 inches of new snow.on skinny x-country skis, much lighter than my AT setup. We missed the big snow. No new bovine babies thank goodness, I can raise them but delivery is NOT my fortee'. Talked to my neighbor last night that I harvest for. He bought 20 bred heifers through the sale barn and they are wild and nasty. He brought one in to help her calve and she took him out with a hit to his knee. He was limping around at the ballgame last night, the doc told him he needed an mri but in typical farmer/rancher fashion he just opted for vitamin I. You really got to love the critters to raise them, checking heifers every 4 hours all night long in all sorts of weather........not my idea of fun!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Aaaah, Farmer Jim gets to be the cow midwife. What a great guy. Smile Good luck!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

checking heifers every 4 hours all night long in all sorts of weather........not my idea of fun!!
                      I'm right there with ya on this one Jim! Here's to many fine miles on your new skiis! Leslie- Happy things went well and may you heal up nicely. You put those miles in the bank, now you can relax and get better. That sure is sweet of you to help out like that Carol. Nice pace Ev. Those winds are like hillwork too. Arla- spring sounds nice for you. Getting any hillwork for your race? High winds on the menu for me the last couple of days.Gusts up to 50mph (but 50* temps) last night.Tonight was only 15-20mph but getting back to the 30* s.At least it's staying light until almost 6pm. Spring will be here soon then I'll be abitchin' about the heat! Have a great weekend all!

Just a quick shoutout to everyone........good runs and rests to you guys n' gals. Tuesday I get back on the running train.......can't wait! Kenny and I are heading south to Pompano Beach in a few minutes. Taking one of my daughters and her bf with us. Going to go see our friend LJ in concert tonight. Got a cheap, cheesy motel, yes I said motel, not hotel, for the night. As long as the linens are clean I should be good to go. Won't be there except to sleep anyway. Probably do lunch and a couple of drinks beachside and then head to the motel to shower, change and get to the concert! Have a super day........Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                          Happy V-Day Everyone! We're suppose to go to the symphony tonight, but The Hub had a little too much fun last night with the guys and may try to get out of it. Evil grin It literally poured and hailed all day yesterday. Tons of snow to be seen from our front porch up on Kneeland across the valley. We bought a young couple a night's stay at a hotel in Brookings, OR. Hopefully, they can get over the pass, 'cause we think he may be planning to propose to her.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance