Masters Running

Philly RR (Read 286 times)

Tramps - great RR - way to hang tough and gut it out.  Sorry about the stomach issues.  I ran the Philly last year and share many of your sentiments about the race.  Hope your wife is doing OK with the back issue.   Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I'd say, go with wine w/ dinner the night before .

Good job staying the course under frustrating conditions.  It's a wonderful effort, but I can see why you're frustrated.  Without the stomach issues, how much do you think you would have slowed for the last 10K?  You said you were feeling tired before it started, no?

Get a dowel and a couple hooks to display your medals, maybe in your office?  Or just set 'em out on a plate or in a bowl--the ribbons make it look pretty festive.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
        Congrats on another fine Marathon showing!  Very detailed and informative RR....nice.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #957

Stomach issues are the worst, right up there with bad side cramps.  You did extremely well in spite of that, though.  Great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aw Tramps, so sorry about the stomach issues.

You did really well even so and you hit some key goals. Every race can't be a PR and there are cold weather marathons out there. You are a strong and smart runner and once the gag--retch issue gets under control, I'll be sure to get out of your way. You'll be blazing some new PR trails soon.

Mariposai

Tramps, I said this before...we have a mission before our next marathon, we have 5 months to figure out what to do for the misbehave tummy we have. Great racing nonetheless. You are one tough cookie.

I enjoyed reading your organization evaluation...are you a teacher or something

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I love Aamos' medal display suggestions.

Hey Tramps!

If I was cheering for you at Philly, I would holler, "Go Pukey Man!  Go!"  or, "Look out!  He's going to spew!"

But, I wasn't there, I was thinking about you, though. Mamaruns and I were at the college mass and she whispered, "Boyruns is running Philly today."  Wow.  I did not know that. So I whispered, "So is Tramps."

Boyruns didn't train all that well and went from an 8:08 pace in the first 10K to finishing with a time of 4:26.  But.  He has the marathon bug now and can't wait to train and run another one.  He is in his second year at West Point.

ANYWAY.

Tramps. Have you thought about hypnosis or some sort of biofeedback therapy for your retching issue?  I mean, after you talk with GI doc?  

One thing a dental professional once told me (because Blaine had trouble with cho-ing at the dentist) She told Blaine that putting a little pinch of salt on the way back part of his tongue right before a procedure could stifle the gag reflex.

Anyone else hear of this?

Oh.

And Tramps. CONGRATULATIONS on a gutsy finish!  Nice that you met your goals.  

How is MrsTramps?

Your friend,

Buehrle

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tramps

If I was cheering for you at Philly, I would holler, "Go Pukey Man!  Go!"  or, "Look out!  He's going to spew!"

Now that's just plain mean!  Geez!   And I've never actually puked in a race; just dry heaves.

Hypnosis, huh?  Maybe I can hypnotize myself into a sub 3:20!

Thanks everyone.

A few responses:

Steve--beer’s never been a problem for me (really!), so I don’t think that’s the issue. And I usually don't drink the night before and have still had this happen.

Erika—thanks for the marathon suggestion but I think I’ll pass.

Sarge—yes, now that you mention it, I think that water stop around a corner is still there.

Walt—National’s nice (and you’re welcome to crash at my place; easy drive in in the morning).  As to racing, though, I think I’d be able to keep up with your for about 50 yards—maybe--and then I'd be trashed for the last 26.1+.

Tet—interesting about the citric acid; I’ll definitely be experimenting and paying closer attention to all this during this training cycle.

Lou—cool that you’ll be back at National.  If I don’t do the full, I may well do the half.  Still thinking about it.

Amy—I don’t think I could have hung on for 8:00’s but I wouldn’t have been too far off; I can usually lock down and hang on.  Dowel and hooks?  Interesting idea; thanks.

Mari—deal.  Let’s figure this out!

Be safe. Be kind.