Masters Running

Prairie Creek Fat Ass 50k (Read 33 times)

Joe618

Leslie, what a marvelous story here!   Thanks for going back to recount the background so well, as that shapes all you were able to do.   That your hammy and AT held up to all that vertical is testament to the care with which you eased back and "paid the price" of training.   

So very happy for you and mega congrats on persevering through to complete the task on the day.   The adjustment of zapping the one spur was wise.   Way to think on your feet. 

So happy for you!  Thanks for and excellent summary!!!!!

And SteveP can have his kittens at the finish line...a sweaty hug is the best!!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

You couldn't pick an easier route? You're a sadist!

Come run with me next time. 

May be an image of outdoors and text that says '1,400 1,200 1,000 800 600ft 200 10.0 mi Cadence Avg Heart on 06/mi bpm 15.0mi 140 pm 20.0mi Your Recent Activities 25.0mi 30.0mi Strava 2021 Strava About About Features Subscription Policy Terms onditions ÛMas Follow Facebook Twitter'

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Leslie, what a terrific story.  The perseverance to do a race like this is admirable enough but the years of patience and dedication to rehab leading up to it are even more impressive.  Fantastic job all around.  Very happy for you that it has all turned out so well.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great story and run Leslie!!  Your profile looks like you ran up and then down the Empire State Builidng.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Doesn't it seem like just yesterday Leslie was wondering if she'd ever get over her injuries and run again? It's an impressive comeback!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - as a fitness runner trying to maximize as much exercise as possible out of marathons, I've always liked running along without a care in the world and then, all of a sudden:  Ester Dome (Equinox), St. John's Bridge way up above the road you're running on in the then advertised "flat" Portland Marathon, Rosa Hill (Yakima River Canyon), Madison/Interlaken combo (Seattle), etc. but don't know of any 50K's like that and wonder why and how you picked a route with the Lady Bird Climb near the end, especially since you haven't ultra'ed for more than five years,

May be an image of screen

Leslie - me too on trekking poles,

especially on the steeps.

Very prevalent in steep BC races.

Still kind of wimpy around here

but I've been using 'em ever since

former poster super-ultra Francesca

(up to 300 miles) let me use hers

for a bit in a 12-hr Fun Run in 2009.

Nice also on the no falling down.

Tet - No falling on Saturday. 

The first loop is so rooty from the redwood trees, there was a lot of power hiking as opposed to running or there's no doubt I would have face-planted at some point.  And all the foot bridges were slippery with wet, mushy leaves.

\May be an image of tree and nature

ps Leslie - though there's nothing boring about trail running - just try getting through a favorite song or poem without getting distracted, but I sure like the occasional footbridges along the way as familiar markers making progress and knowing where you are. This one I remember from your earlier posts up on the Lady Bird Climbs, I think.  What mile(s) did you cross it at?

Below is one of my favorites too.

May be an image of tree and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet - The bridge is on the return of the first loop (Miner's Ridge Trail), although I crossed at least 10 slippery bridges of different lengths.

I chose Lady Birdy at the end for 3 reasons: (1) One of the trails in my first loop (James Irvine) is the most used trail in the park system, and I didn't want to deal with battling slow hikers late in my run, (2) the second half of the James Irvine has gnarly redwood roots that I can't negotiate running - not if I want to stay upright and uninjured, (3) I wanted to challenge myself with the toughest section being near the end.

PS - Love your bridge. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

(3) I wanted to challenge myself with the toughest section being near the end.

Leslie - excellent.

I was thinking and hoping so.

Incidentally, as if it wasn't enough to be the "crazy lady at the end of the street with 20 cats and a thousand books, movies, and CD's," choosing the Lady Bird ascent at the end confirms it, for sure. You add a whole new dimension to being trail-runner crazy.  Welcome.  You're welcome. You'd probably like Tammy's Mt. Ashland summit scamper too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

moebo

Leslie, thank you so much for sharing your story. I can't help thinking that your perseverance on the journey back to what you love is proof that you are a true ultra runner. Congratulations!

evanflein

Leslie, it's been so incredible following your recovery. I really think I would've given up and taken up knitting or something. So proud of you! And this 50k is just the icing so to speak.

(can't see any of the pictures though, not even the ones Tet posts!)