Masters Running

Sunday and its still cold on 23 March (Read 43 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, congrats!  You're amazing!  You earned your rest day!

Nice long runs for Paul, Holly, Karin, and Deez today. And nice racing for MikeE, Aamos, and C-R.  MIke, you said you ran yesterday as an experiment even though you usually take the day before a race off - how did it work out?  I always take a rest day before races, too.

Holly, sorry about your tree.  What was your DH thinking? 

My DD turned 21 yesterday!   She's close to finalizing her choice for grad school (she's going for a PhD in physics) and she's leaning towards U. of Washington, so if she ends up there, I'll get to visit the Seattle RA folks more often!    She was also accepted at U. of Chicago and Johns Hopkins.

I had a sluggish 13.6 mile trail run today - my legs were more tired than I expected after yesterday's 10k race.  But it was a beautiful day to be out - warm enough for shorts!  Still a bunch of snow/mud/ice on the trails, though.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

What a great weekend! I enjoyed planting a few violas here and there in the yard, cleaned a few windows and planned my veggie garden on paper. I also accomplished a lot as the race director for the orchards in bloom.

I feel more official as a race director now thanks to SteveP and Tag who sent my race directors's badge, a stick and good wishes for a good inaugural race.

I wore my present at the office on Friday and it was a huge hit! (which secured me a few community volunteers for the event.)

Well, today was one of t hose days when weather was good, food intake was perfect and the inspiration was just right for a good long run. 18 miles for my butterfly wings with 13 miles at marathon pace or better. Funny, the plan was only 5 miles at marathon pace, but the legs just kept on raking in MP paces so...I just let the legs do what they wanted to do and I just enjoyed the "rare" ride.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

You are simply gorgeous Nancy, inside and out!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

You are simply gorgeous Nancy, inside and out!

Yes she is!  I can't remember all the stuff I had to say, but want to say hi to Rhoon from AK! I bought a camera like yours, well a newer one, Samsung NX300. I have not taken the time to figure it all out, but can post picture to FB by just pushing a button.

i used my laptop the other night and it died before I got all my witty responses posted. I was going to tell dg that I got a Garmin 910xt, for triathlons. Since I keep stuff a long time (said laptop is four years old), I decided to splurge. I will get a little bonus from REI next year too. I am signed up for the Half at the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon in SD, ten weeks from today! We will be Yellowstone for the week prior to the race.

Today was my first "long" run of 6 miles. 19* but not much wind and sunny.  I have only been back running for two weeks, so this was a huge task for me. I was on my feet for over an hour for the first time in a while. It felt good and I only took a one minute walk break. The low carb protein shakes are probably not enough fuel, but I have plenty of fat to use up for now. I guess I am in the fat and slow club for sure!

Yesterday was a fun day with my sister here visiting from SD. We hit the boutiques, quilt store, the mall and the Women's Expo. I had my fasting blood tests done for free: Total cholesterol - 140; HDL - 71; LDL - 38; Triglycerides were 155 though.  Goodnight all, oh, tet, you are amazing! Great job.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Been a few days since my last post.. OK, more than a few days.  Just very busy.  Which in this case is good.

Well, today was one of t hose days when weather was good, food intake was perfect and the inspiration was just right for a good long run. 18 miles for my butterfly wings with 13 miles at marathon pace or better. Funny, the plan was only 5 miles at marathon pace, but the legs just kept on raking in MP paces so...I just let the legs do what they wanted to do and I just enjoyed the "rare" ride.

Nancy - Great run..  I had one of those runs this morning too..  Nice butterfly headband.

Lots of great running and racing - Congrats to all.

Tammy give that wonderful boy of yours another big hug.  You are doing something right as a parent..  Give yourself a hug too.  I'd give you one but, my arms aren't that long. Plus Sue would probably shoot me.

After a wonderful day and night in Seattle with Sue, I headed over to Green Lake to try and surprise TET and do a lap or two with him.  I ran counter to what the race course direction was but didn't see him until I had almost completed my 2nd lap around Green Lake.  Anyway, we had a great talk as he did his third of what was to be 13 laps.  He is an amazing man with lots of stories.  Congrats Jon.

Today's run was to be 18 miles with 12 at MP, which I thought 8:20 pace would be a good start.  I wanted it to be more of a time trail based run vice lots of hills so I headed over to the new track at Kitsap Naval Base (1/5 of a mile cork based track).  Ended up running 100 laps (20 miles) at a 7:56 pace,  My heart rate was in the low 140's till mile 15 and it slowly moved up to 150 by the end.  My lap times were very constant 1:33 - 1:38.  Legs still feeling good after a 78 mile week.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Mariposai

.  Ended up running 100 laps (20 miles) at a 7:56 pace,  My heart rate was in the low 140's till mile 15 and it slowly moved up to 150 by the end.  My lap times were very constant 1:33 - 1:38.  Legs still feeling good after a 78 mile week.

Amazing!!! just amazing!!!! 100 laps....wow!!!

I am so glad you had a chance to meet up with our PNW tapeboy, aka Tetsujin.

Enkie, you just made me flush. BTW, that little plant you gave me the last time you were here keeps gifting me with gorgeous flowers!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks again mike.

mo ichido arigatou, maiku-san

your name is pronounced "mah-ee-coo".

Sue's is "su."

mine is "jo-n" pronounced "joan".

No wonder I didn't recognize you right away.

How many total pounds have you lost since your diet started in January?

You are so ready for a great run in the redwoods with divechief and the goddesses.

Thanks again for a great start to my best 12-hour ever.

Speaking of goddesses, we need a gallery to honor them, . . .

but then they'd probably find some of us tool

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Mariposai, you need a wand to go with that outfit!

Started flight training for an instrument rating today. Got kicked all around the sky by a very kind man, who always was two steps ahead of me. Grrrr.....

So I went running. A few miles here and there and I might be a runner again!

evanflein

Hey Troy! Good to see you here again. You've been missed, as I said...  

Nice Dizzy run for Tetsujin. Green Lake is where I ran when my folks were in Seattle for medical treatments/consults. Nice path around the lake but I'm still trying to figure out where the "hill" is... heh.

Ok, you guys are all amazing and I can't comment on everything so won't even try. Enough others have done some very nice summaries, and for that I say thank you!

I ran 10 and change miles yesterday, and 16.1 today for my first 26+ mile week in a long time. I "only" needed 15.5 for a 50 mile week, so that became my stretch goal. Such a gorgeous day, and I did stop a couple times to watch some of the dog teams in the Open North American Sled Dog Championship, so that was fun. More weather like this next week, sorry about the storm headed (yet again) for the east coast, but I hope it misses you guys.

SteveP

Big congrats for David.

C-R. I don't know what is going to happen with our area's maple syrup production. Usually it's winding up by now. This year the trees have not been tapped yet.

I can't remember all the stuff I had to say, 

The dog and I ran a trail we usually only get to in the spring and fall. There are not enough springs for Tag to get a drink during the summer months.  We ran on top of the snowmobile tracks again. Some spots the ground is nearly exposed.Other spots, the snow drifts are nearly chest deep.

SteveP

New skirt in town

Steve, I love the pictures!  And Nancy, I just love the hat.  Although when I think of planting violas, I see an image of stringed instruments coming up in the garden... no spring here yet, another winter storm on the way.

Sunday I tend to think of as my "easy" day, but after 3.5 easy miles, a yoga class and my ballroom dance lesson I was wiped!!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild - Happy 21 to your DD!

Nice runs for Mariposai, Rasmussen and Starr!

SteveP - it is way past time for you to lose that snow....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."